Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removable battery

(Topic created on: 22-08-2017 05:09 PM)
Jbeattie
Apprentice
Options

I have lots of money but refuse to buy a smartphone without a removable battery.

The justifications I've heard border on the ridiculous such as the batteries are non-removable to keep the phone slim. Another ridiculous comeback is the "fast charge" reason. Frankly, there are times when I need to go from 5% battery to 100% in an instant and removable battery is the only way to achieve that end. Having two phones also isnt an option because certain apps cannot have the same user account on more than one phone.

The cynic in me tells me there is a more sinister reason for non-removable batteries, but I'll keep the conspiracy theories for another forum.

Now my Note 4, with its Snapdragon 805, is beggining to slow down. 

The question is, will I be stuck with a Note 4 until the end of time because Samsung force non-removable battery smartphones on us?

Here's an idea, why doesn't Samsung take a poll to see how many of its customers want removable batteries? Or better still, release both removable and non-removable units and see what the market wants.

Is it really about the wants of the market or are people just obedient consumers? I'd like to think there is hope.

And dont tell me about the LG with its removable battery, I'm just not interested.

38 REPLIES 38
DrSlump1
Explorer
Options

Hi,

i got a Note 3 since 2013 and i'm still happy with it. Yes, it feels slower than new phones but it does what it must do for my daily needings.

I would like to try the new Note 8 but, in my heavy working day, the plus value that my removable battery gives to me is really important: in less than 10 seconds i'm on the job again, without the needing of an external battery or a "supercharger" or any other technical workarounds.

I've changed 3 batteries over these years (all three genuine samsung batteries), every night i put my phone on charge, no matter the battery level is, becouse i know that if i damage the battery i can easely exchange it with a fresh one with few bucks and in few seconds.

If a Note 8 battery dies i must return the phone for 1 or more days and i must eventually take care about some files that are on the phone removing them or making a backup of them. That's a pain in the ass, only becouse a poor Samsung enginering decision.

So i'm really jealous about my Note 3, and i take care of it so that it can still work for me until this crazy (greedy) behaviour of phone producers will change in a more convenient way for me.

Aric
Student
Options

I agree. They need to atleast make the note series a removable battery or release two versions of the phone one with removable and one without. I would buy that note phone in a heartbeat. Samsung this needs to happen for the note 10 and sales will sky rocket! I know so many people who would upgrade their phones and even switch companies for a removable battery. 

Vdub12
Apprentice
Options

The reason they're not putting removable batteries in phones is because it's planned failure. Since batteries don't last more than a year or 2 they force people to buy new phones more often. So any drop of sales is made up for by people having to buy more phones. 

Aric
Student
Options

I understand. It just kind of sucks. It's nice to have an option of just popping a fresh battery in and having good battery life or even putting a big battery in and having insane battery life for days. Like the note 4, putting 10,000 mah battery in phone. Instead of getting one of the battery cases just have the battery be internal si it's on one charge preserving the batteries life span 

AL50
Journeyman
Options

WE all know WHY samsung followed apple like slave and decided to drop open back plate feature.

its all about MONEY. PROFIT.  not having user able to replace battery esp  users who imporperly charges battery by making life short, thereby  END UP bring the phone in for PAY PER service to have battery replaced  or END UP buying a new phone. THAT is the goal and just about EVERYONE knows this.  REMOVABLE battery make much  greater sense yes. dont tell me it limits the design of phone or water resistance. thats nonsense. we can make phone water resistant (no phone is water proof) With out having it sealed. good example is look at the watches. (you can still change battery yet its 30 m resistant correct? )  thats coming from limited design sense person. I think samsung should remake back plate open and servicable and enable users to put the memory card from back plate and SIM. IT was such user friendly REASON i switched FROM APPLE to samsung first place. I am still stuck with NOTE 4 for that reason.  I REFUSE TO BUY another samsung phone until something revolutionary or move back to apple at this time. NOTE 4 was the BEST samsung phone ever made and its stil very popular in the market people buy it alot trade it alot on ebay etc.  takes great photos too. WHY samsung has to follow Apples path I dont understand, but user serviceablity is environmentally makes greater sense. And also enables quickly remove the battery in the case battery overheats or going through airports (certain places) or have multiple battery charged and have in hand for easy swap.  also Being able to user service it,  Samsung also will prevent lawsuits arising from sealed battery implosion or fire. If I sense battery gets too hot. I would immediatly toss the battery out and save the phone from damages.

its the FEATURE and APPS that makes the phone sell besides the design.  I THINK SAMSUNG NEED TO REINTRODUCE OPENABLE BACK PLATE DESIGNS with dual sims, triple sims and more user friendly features. THat itself sets apart from all other brand. I think NOTE 5-8 is the Probably the UGLIST phone ever produced from samsung with curvature design at corner ugly back plate, as far as design is go. LOOK at the NOKIA, or SIEMENS for innovations. they prob are one of the best designers of phones.  FOCUS on other aspect of the phone Dont take away the best feature from it.  WHY would anyone submerge the phone in the water first place (those are pretty RARE)  water proofing tight seal prob made phone to heat up unable to vent the heat causing furthre heat damages. very bad idea. samsung designers WAKE UP I TELL YOU.  iwill fire them all if I am the design director. :smiling-face:

Playingza
First Poster
Options

A couple things. Everyone is fixated on the fact that sealed batteries means water resistance. There is more to it though. Sealing the battery means that the phone can use better materials. Try and imagine a way to make a glass back with a removable battery. Wireless charging also would be harder if not impossible with a removable battery. Removable batteries require extra shielding to withstand normal abuse. This extra space is better used for audio quality or BIGGER BATTERIES. If your phone is dying everyday and you must have a replaceable battery then either a) your battery life is not up to the standards today or b) you truly are a very heavy user. At the end of the day, no major phone manufacturer will make phones with removable batteries because it makes no sense. I doubt it will make many people switch (*sarcasm*ohh look, Samsung has a removable battery. Time to drop this iPhone X and buy that bulky price of ugly hardware) especially since removable batteries make phones bigger. I am a heavy phone user and I have never run out of battery. I’m out rowing for crew, sometimes with my phone, and if we flip I would be very happy that I had the insight to buy a modern flagship phone.

0 Likes
AL50
Journeyman
Options

Not even 1/10 th you just stated are true.

Tell that to tesla. That decision to seal the phone was based on financial aspect to begin with thats,why apple dropped. It wasn't about waterseal.not make the phone slimmer. Absolutely not true sealing or not sealing has no bases mentioned in design sake. And everyone just a out know it. Why is that you dont.

Mdel326
Apprentice
Options

In the past three weeks I have been travelling fairly extensively. My LG G5 has been so helpful because in one day I wen through three full batteries. That I swapped out in 30 seconds. The difference in capacity between an LG G 5 and a Galaxy S7 is about 200 mah. Interestingly enough the Galaxy S5 had an IP67 rating and a removable battery. At the end of the day. I am the customer I want a removable battery and I will not buy a new phone with my requirements unless I get it. I am taking it a step further and I am going to investigate contracting with a Chinese manufacturer to produce something based on my requirements. I am not going to be held hostage by the phone cartels. 

Mdel326
Apprentice
Options

I changed my LG G5 batteries three times a day sometimes. It only has 200 mah less than the S7 perhaps I would get another 10 or 20 minutes out of that. Being able to swipe it out is invaluable. The Samsung Galaxy S5 had a removable battery and an IP67 rating for waterproofing. It is entirely possibly for phone manufacturers to walk and chew gum. They can do both. Bottom line if I do not get a removable battery I am not buying a new phone. I have no need to I can buy a new battery instead. There is no compelling reason to upgrade until 5g matures. 

AL50
Journeyman
Options
I am in same page . They are taking away user control. They want us to be dependent on their services, nonsense.
People are getting smarter by min. We can take the phone apart upgrade troubleshoot replace parts.... hum.. that's what they don't like us to do. Bring the phones in.let me charge customer $125
On top of 1000 phone. They just don't want us to keep the same phone too long !! We all know this.