Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Random full screen pop up ads - S7 Edge

(Topic created on: 10-05-2018 02:40 PM)
AQK
Student
Options

Good Afternoon Everyone

Can anyone please help me with this problem? It started about a week ago, and I am getting Random full screen pop up ads.

It mainly happens when the phone is locked and not being used. Suddenly a random video app will start playing in the background; its especially annoying when it happens in the middle of the night.

I was thinking of doing a  clean reinstall? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as this is driving me nuts.

Thank you

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
TracyR
Options

Hey @AQK

Try starting your phone up in Safe Mode –

This will disable all third party applications temporarily, to see if they are the root cause of the issues you’re having.

To do this, turn off your phone then hold down the Power buttons to turn on your phone as usual, then once the Samsung logo appears press and hold the volume Down button until the home screen appears.

Safe Mode will now display in the Left hand corner. 

Monitor the issue and let me know if the pop-ups are still there.

:womanhappy:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

View solution in context

Solution
AQK
Student
Options

Thank you, your suggestion worked; I had no pop up ads; once i turned the phone back on normally it started again.

I have now identified the App that was causing this issue. (ES File Explorer File Manager).

Thank you for your help.

Abdul

View solution in context

27 REPLIES 27
Solution
TracyR
Options

Hey @AQK

Try starting your phone up in Safe Mode –

This will disable all third party applications temporarily, to see if they are the root cause of the issues you’re having.

To do this, turn off your phone then hold down the Power buttons to turn on your phone as usual, then once the Samsung logo appears press and hold the volume Down button until the home screen appears.

Safe Mode will now display in the Left hand corner. 

Monitor the issue and let me know if the pop-ups are still there.

:womanhappy:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

SandraF
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

As Tracy  said, this is almost certainly to be down to a third-party app putting ads on your lock screen. It could be a new app or one that has recently updated.

Another way to identify the app, is when the ads start popping up,  go into the menu of the Play Store (via the three lines at the top left), into My apps & games, then Installed and sort by Last Used. That should show you which apps have just been active and give you an idea of the possible culprit.

Solution
AQK
Student
Options

Thank you, your suggestion worked; I had no pop up ads; once i turned the phone back on normally it started again.

I have now identified the App that was causing this issue. (ES File Explorer File Manager).

Thank you for your help.

Abdul

S7_Curious
First Poster
Options

Hi, Abdul --

On 13-5-2018, you said that you had identified the app that was causing the pop-up ad issue with your Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone.

What process did you use to identify the problem application after you did the Safe Mode and then started your phone normally?

Thanks for your help.

@AQK wrote:

Thank you for your help.

Abdul

0 Likes
Pacman03
First Poster
Options

Still happing, random pop up advertisements.

0 Likes
Erockolypse
First Poster
Options

I restarted my phone in safe mode. I searched for that ES file the other person said it was but could not find it.  I noticed a strange flashlight app that i don't recall downloading but i deleted it from my apps. Turned my phone off of safe mode and it seems to be running fine with no pop ups so far.  I think the file name or apps may vary.  But in safe mode you can see apps that are active and if they look unfamiliar seems you never use them,  maybe do a little research and if it doesn't seem necessary, then delete it.  You can always reinstall it id you need it.  Not having those pop ups is such a relief from those pain in the ass pop up adds. 

0 Likes
UncleScotty
First Poster
Options

Since "Abdul" wasn't very responsive, I'll tell you what I did:

I launched my S7 in Safe Mode, then went through all my applications and uninstalled or disabled EVERYTHING I don't use on a daily basis or don't consider CRITICAL for daily survival.

I then shut down the phone and started it up again.

All those annoying ads are gone. (Not sure about YOURS...but mine were all ads for apps wanting me to download from the Play Store and install them. Many were from UBER....many were not.)

I'll try re-installing any apps I THINK I might want back on my phone....but I'll install them one per 2 or 3 days, just to give them a chance to "go rogue"...or NOT!

Good luck!

mc5centssr
First Poster
Options

I deleted the led flashlight app and the popups were gone!  Thanks. 

0 Likes
mc5centssr
First Poster
Options

Flashlight app was the problem!  

0 Likes