Support

Open search

Oreo update not available Samsung S7 Edge

Highlighted
SOLVED
First Poster

Me and my partner have identical phones (both S7 edge) but he was able to update his software to the new Oreo OS over two weeks ago now! I have no updates available! Does anybody understand why this might be happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndrewL Moderator
Hi @Misstech

Updates are rolled out in batches and are subject to availability based on factors such as network, purchase date and IMEI number. With this in mind customers may find that they receive an update later than others however we recommend enabling Automatic Updates to download the update as soon as it is made available by your network. Alternatively you can download Smart Switch on your home computer, connect your phone via USB and look for an update prompt on the home screen, next to your device details. http://www.samsung.com/ie/support/smartswitch/.
11 REPLIES
AndrewL Moderator
Hi @Misstech

Updates are rolled out in batches and are subject to availability based on factors such as network, purchase date and IMEI number. With this in mind customers may find that they receive an update later than others however we recommend enabling Automatic Updates to download the update as soon as it is made available by your network. Alternatively you can download Smart Switch on your home computer, connect your phone via USB and look for an update prompt on the home screen, next to your device details. http://www.samsung.com/ie/support/smartswitch/.
First Poster

Same. Apparently people had it over a month in UK. I am still waiting with my sim free phone with no carriers. 

First Poster
Thank you I already attempted this! I'l give it another go! It's just so frustrating knowing that software is there and I can't play with It!
Apprentice

If you have unlocked phone, then you will be last in line to get the update, which I will never ever understand, since these devices cost more than the carrier ones. That thought process of why Samsung makes the unlocked phones last is mind boggling and makes absolute no sense at all. They should be first in line because of what is paid for. No Samsung is just going to keep them last in line. Been waiting for months on my s7 edge to still no update at all. About to just give up and probably still not get Oreo. Seriously, this is just nuts. Sammobile site says Samsung is not so bad on updates but they are. Nougat was released February 2017 on S7 variants, and it is 1 and a half years later and I am still on Nougat.

First Poster

Hi all, I would strongly recommend NO TO UPGRADE TO OREO yet. There is a serious problem with battery drain that Samsung has failed to provide any solution to, only recently admitting that there is an issue. 

Apprentice

I have had it on my phone since 6/29/2018 and not battery issues at all. Do not think it is all phones in this variant.

Superuser
Superuser

@Radi2000 wrote:

Hi all, I would strongly recommend NO TO UPGRADE TO OREO yet. There is a serious problem with battery drain that Samsung has failed to provide any solution to, only recently admitting that there is an issue. 

Hi @Radi2000

Can you link to the official Samsung source that says they are admitting to an issue please.

I updated my Samsung Galaxy s8 phone quite a few months ago from Nougat to Oreo and I haven't experienced any battery issues and haven't had to clear my system files or Factory Reset. 

I appreciate we all use our phones differently in different countries and networks offering different signal strengths which can affect battery plus we all use different apps with different permissions along with different  settings / launchers on the phone. 

And different firmware versions depending on an unbranded to branded phone. 

Also older phones will already have decreased battery outputs due to the recharge and discharge cycles on them. 

Current Phone ~ Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Duos 512Gb

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch

Apprentice

I think it is more operator error, and love to blame the company for it.

First Poster

@BandOfBrothers

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smartphones-Tablets-Wearables/Cell-standby-battery-drain-Oreo-s7...

Please see AntS post, and whole topic if interested in more details. Issue seems to be with S7 and Edge at the moment.

Top Liked Authors