Support

Open search

Note 8 Dual SIM: RCS missing and last update from months ago

Explorer

Hi all,

Seeking for some help here...

I recently acquired a Note 8 Dual SIM in the Samsung UK store to use it on Vodafone UK as primary network. I am missing the RCS options (Rich Communications Service) that I had on my previous S8 and S6. What can I do to get RCS?

Also, last security updates are from 1 August 2017 . Are there no updates for this device? Searching on the web I see that other regions are getting updates for the Dual SIM version but not UK.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @alal

It’s probably not on the phone out of the box because you’ve purchased an unbranded phone directly from Samsung. 

Phones purchased from Vodafone will be branded thus have this and other network apps already on. 

This official Vodafone Link may help > 

Vodafone.com/content/apps/ext/messageplus/android/en_gb/messageplus.

In regards to updates Samsung will not like many other manufacturers and Networks will not comment on timeframes. It’s a case of checking the software update section of the phone periodically. 

Im using a s8 purchased from Samsung in the Uk and am on the August 2017 Security Patch, eagerly awaiting the next update.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Explorer

Hi BandOfBrothers,

Thank you for your reply. Understand your point on unbranded phone, but my previous S6 and S8 were unbranded as well and RCS was there available to use. Is there a way for me to put this option?

On your S8 do you have this option? This is really a show stopper to be honest.

Regarding the updates it is a shame that Samsung UK takes so long to release updates... I can see that I am not alone in this boat.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @alal

I use quite a few of the UK Networks as im payg. 

No its not on my unbranded s8. 

The link I added earlier has the link to download it I believe. 

For my needs the stock Samsung Sms App covers what I want to do. 

Have you thought about Textra from the Play Store which may better serve you. 

Current Phone ~

Explorer

My S8 had it and it was unbranded, just like the S6.

Will try to follow-up with Vodafone one more time.

Thanks for the recommendation, but as bit part of my family and friends have Samsung devices, RCS is really handy!

Superuser I
Superuser I
Does the link I added not help at all ??

Current Phone ~

Explorer

I can install the apps provided by Vodafone, but I then need to use them to get advantage of the feature. For that I may well use WhatsApp or any other similar app.

Other Samsung phones have the feature built-in and that's what I am looking for.

Top Liked Authors