Support

Open search

Low level format of S7 Edge

Highlighted
SOLVED
First Poster

Hi all,

First apologies if this already answered previously, I did do a couple of searches but not found what I was looking for.

Been having issues with my S7 edge for a while and have tried various solutions including resetting back to factory settings, (tried this a few of times). I've reset my phone using both the function within settings and the android boot option, however the problems keep occurring. The problems are many and include not receiving readable messages, phone not ringing and so on, have ruled out a provider and reception issue.

I want to low level format the phone, i.e. wipe it completely, and force a completely new android operating package to be installed, this is something I've done with other makes but cannot find the steps for the S7 edge. The  reason for this drastic action is to completely rule out software issue.

My question is therefore, can a low level format be completed on this phone, if yes I presume you need a desktop application for it, which one? and where do I find it.

Thanks in advance

Hope this is explained clearly and that there is a solution out there

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndrewL Moderator
@oglendwr: There's a couple of ways that you can approach this. To begin with I recommend performing a Soft Reset to address any temporary software issues. To do this, please press and hold the Volume Down and Power keys until the device restarts. If your problem persists then it may be beneficial to backup the phone on your home computer using Smart Switch (https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch) and perform a Factory Data Reset - Settings > General Management > Reset > Factory Data Reset. You can also check out the 'More' option in the top right corner of Smart Switch to explore the Emergency Software Recovery and Initialisation option, however I would suggest this as a 'last resort'.
2 REPLIES 2
AndrewL Moderator
@oglendwr: There's a couple of ways that you can approach this. To begin with I recommend performing a Soft Reset to address any temporary software issues. To do this, please press and hold the Volume Down and Power keys until the device restarts. If your problem persists then it may be beneficial to backup the phone on your home computer using Smart Switch (https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch) and perform a Factory Data Reset - Settings > General Management > Reset > Factory Data Reset. You can also check out the 'More' option in the top right corner of Smart Switch to explore the Emergency Software Recovery and Initialisation option, however I would suggest this as a 'last resort'.
First Poster
@AndrewL, cheers for the reply, sorry for delay in responding. Your answer was and is exactly the solution I'm looking for so thanks again, especially for taking the time to provide an answer which is complete with steps, advice, links and warnings....always useful to have that reminder about 'taking care.
Cheers
oglendwr
Top Liked Authors