Support

Open search

How to block unwanted messages?

Explorer

I visited a restaurant yesterday and when I got home I received two marketing messages on my SP from them. I have no idea how they found my number but am assuming that somehow or other they used their WI-FI to place the message. I considered it impertinence and want to ensure that I can block such messages in future. Is the only way to do it by turning my SP off or turning my WI-FI off. Is capturing my number in that way legal?

8 REPLIES
AndrewL Moderator
@BML: Please can you confirm the model number and current Android version of your Smart Phone? In the meantime, open your Phone app, go to settings and look at your options regarding Spam Protection and Blocking numbers. I'd also get in touch with the restaurant in question to enquire about how they came to get your personal details and request that they remove you from their database.
Explorer

Many thanks for that.

Explorer

Model number  is SM-J600FN

Serial number is RF8KA3CDT3R

When I started to investigate my new SP today I discovered that practically every place I had visited over the past few days had sent an unwanted message none of who I had communicated with by Email.  If its against the law to telephone people on a cold call surely it’s just as unlawful to invade their SP space. I was told today that I need to go into aircraft mode or switch my WI-FI of when out but why should I have to.   I very much resent these intrusions.

CarlH Moderator

Did you check with the restaurant, @BML? There may be some small print for advertisements sent to yor phone when connecting with their Wi-Fi.

Explorer

I'm not in the habbit of checking small print when I visit a restaurant.  In fact I stopped looking at small print when I stopped working in employement law and I fail to see why any obligation such as that should be considered the responsibility of a customer. 

Helping Hand
If you have indeed connected to WiFi at all those spots where you received marketing messages from then you have agreed to their terms and condition the moment you signed in.

"Free" WiFi is not actually free. You pay with your data. If you were not "forced" to use WiFi but did it voluntarily it is indeed your responsibility as a customer to look into the terms and conditions before using any "free" service.

*Assuming the WiFi was free and you did not "have" to log in to the WiFi to be able to use the core services from the restaurants.

---------
Never gonna give you up!
Mvg,
T.K.
Explorer

I never connected to the WIFI at any of the places that I found details of on my SP and I have no idea how the details appeared on my SP.  Could it be connected to my mapping?  Why has this connection to you got no Spell check?  I have a message saying. "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."  Could you please explain what this means?

Helping Hand
That is indeed strange. If you got the messages via SMS then it might be they have your number?

In your original story you mention: ".....I received two marketing messages on my SP from them" are those marketing messages specifically from the company you visited? If not it might just be Malware on your device.

Did you have your location (GPS) on at the times you visited those restaurants? If so one of your apps might also be sending personalized messages based on your current location.

If you really want to find out you should backtrack your settings/actions you used that day.

Regarding your HTML error I cannot help you with that.

---------
Never gonna give you up!
Mvg,
T.K.
Top Liked Authors