Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Glitch in charging?

(Topic created on: 21-06-2018 11:31 AM)
V_J
Pioneer
Options

Hello,

Yesterday morning, I took my Gear S3 from its charger, and it felt hot, more than normal. It showed 100% battery level, but despite that it barely managed half a day with the same use as I always have (normally, by the end of the day I still have somewhere between 40-60% of battery charge left). I restarted the watch and charged it again. Today in the morning, it felt warm after charging (for sure not as hot as it felt yesterday, not sure if it normally feels like this) but now battery usage seems ok.

Any idea what could have caused that issue yesterday?

It was seated properly on the charger, which is the one that came with the watch (only charger I have), connected using the original power cable.

The watch is just over 6 months old, are there things I should pay attention to?

Thanks!

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
CarlH
Options

Hi @V_J. Have you recently installed any new apps on your Gear S3? 

V_J
Pioneer
Options

No... no changes to the watch apps or settings in at least 2 weeks. Today the power seems fine again (after four hours, I'm still at 94%, so this is again the same decrease in power like I normally have).

For now it seems like it was just a one-time event... but it worried me a bit (the heat, short battery life). Maybe some app started acting faulty and was the cause, or some glitch in Tizen. But I would love to be able to rule out a battery or charger issue.

0 Likes
Solution
CarlH
Options

It was hopefully a one off, @V_J. If it happens again, we could go through some troubleshooting steps (this could involve a Factory Reset). For peace of mind, you may wish to take it to a Service Centre for an engineer to inspect. This link will direct you to the closest in your area. 

0 Likes
V_J
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for the fast replies!

A bit of an issue for me is that I'm temporarly out of my home country (where it was bought). Can I go to service centers in other European countries?

edit: a bit of an issue, closest service center here is over 100km away...

0 Likes
CarlH
Options

As long as it's purchased from the UK/EU, you will be fine taking it to a Service Centre in the EU, @V_J!

V_J
Pioneer
Options

Ok (bought in EU)!

A bit of an issue, closest service center here is over 100km away... Is there a one year or a two year warranty for such matters (I got it for Christmas, I may be back in my home country just before that)?

I'm asking as I'm going next week for a short visit to my home country and there the service center is closeby. So either I would have to do it next week, or hope that it will still be possible around Christmas.

0 Likes
CarlH
Options

The warranty for your Gear S3 is 2 years, @V_J. Any physical damage will void the warranty, however, resulting in a chargeable repair. As I mentioned though, it was hopefully a one off. If it does happen again, we can go through some troubleshooting steps to see if there is anything we can do, instead of you visiting a Service Centre. 

V_J
Pioneer
Options

Yes, of course.

But if the warranty is two years, I don't have to worry.

Hopefully, and most likely, it was a one-off. But if it happens again, we can do the troubleshooting steps and if they don't solve it, then I know I still can get it to a service center before the warranty runs out. (it would be different if its warranty were to expire by Christmas; thenI would go next week to the service center as that might be my only opportunity! 🙂 )

Now I know there is no need to run there next week. 🙂

Thanks!!

Jörg

0 Likes
CarlH
Options

You're welcome! Keep us updated if it happens again, @V_J

0 Likes