Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear sport Battery draining at night

(Topic created on: 25-10-2018 11:11 AM)
Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

My gear sport watch, which is around 6 months old, had started to battery drain every night. It happens at around 3am. The battery percentage is around 70% when I go to bed (10-11pm) 

I know the time accurately because the sleep record and HR record switch off. 

Has anyone else had this issue? 

315 REPLIES 315
CAZE
First Poster
Options

In my case  the gear Fully charged it lasts only 4 hours until the watch shuts down. Then when I put it in the cradle to charge it again, it shows that the battery is still at 60-70%. From then, A full charge will take less than half hour until the green light on the cradle indicates that the charge is complete, even tough the battery is “supposedly” totally empty. Then the cycle repeats: battery will last only 4 hours , take it to the charge cradle, Watch shows the battery at 60%; charge in the cradle for 30 min or less…. All these means, that I have to charge my Gear twice a day.

0 Likes
Rusty2
Explorer
Options

I abSolutely wonder the same thing.. I wonder if they were hacked and because of the Diagnostics they were able to hack all of us and controls things like battery drainage. I will not have Diagnostics activated again I did it basically to help them but I'll let his done is her.

0 Likes
ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options

This was happening on my Wife's Gear S3 classic. To fix this you have to not only reset the watch to factory but also need to remove the Wear app on the phone (Make sure you remove the bluetooth connection also) then re-pair and re-install app then connect. This got me back to the 24hr timecycle but not anything more. (If you haven't backed up do it before you start this process or you will lose everything.) 

0 Likes
Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

@ProphetUK that honestly sounds like a lot of faff. If you do this.....

To increase the battery life on the Gear after the update please follow the steps below ↓ •On the Gear tap on setting; •Tap on Gear info. •Tap Report diagnostic and usage info (Disable this feature) Test the watch for a few days to see how the battery works.

..... it really works and it's all you need to do

0 Likes
ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options
@CeliaWheelia . I checked this a couple of nights back. It was on my Wife's Classic but not on the Frontier so this fix never worked for me. To be honest I didn't believe it would work (total reset thing) but it did give more stability to the classic than on the frontier. I couldn't tell what fixed it In the end the app or the full -re-install but 24hrs is pretty bad by any standard
0 Likes
Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

@ProphetUK - that's very annoying for you 😕 

0 Likes
phk
Navigator
Options

@Celiawheelia wrote:

@ProphetUK that honestly sounds like a lot of faff. If you do this.....

To increase the battery life on the Gear after the update please follow the steps below ↓ •On the Gear tap on setting; •Tap on Gear info. •Tap Report diagnostic and usage info (Disable this feature) Test the watch for a few days to see how the battery works.

..... it really works and it's all you need to do

Several of us have already explained that disabling Diagnostic Info helped but doesn't cure the problem, it's still draining more quickly than it used to.

So for some/many people it's not all you need to do.

What really needs to happen is that Samsung fixes the problem!

0 Likes
Sentry
Explorer
Options

I found this thread through an article that exactly described my problem with my Gear S3 Frontier that started last weekend. That was the night Germany went from daylight saving time to standard time, so I thought that that was the issue. But now I don't think so anymore.

I went to bed with 73% battery and woke up to 10%. My Gear S3 now only lasts 18 hours. Before that, it lasted at least 48 hours, it even was at 72 hours before one of the dreaded "updates" from Samsung. All that without changing my usage pattern.

So I really hope that they'll fix this soon, because the watch is useless to me like this and I'm gonna make this a warranty issue.

0 Likes
Stevefiveoh1
First Poster
Options

I was having a similar issue with my S7 phone. It was caused by the apps that use push notifications such as Facebook and Outlook. I turned off non essential notifications and the battery life is back to normal. I bought a Galaxy watch last week and turned off many app notifications in the Gear app. However I noticed today that some had reset to ON again. So far so good with the battery life, convinced it's having too many apps constantly searching for new notifications. Hope this helps you guys

0 Likes
ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options

Morning all,

Sorry for the long update, I have been trying a few things thanks to all who contributed.

So as I an update I have got back to roughly 3 days. see a list below of steps.

1) Remove the Gear Wear App from your device (if installed)reboot phone 

2) Remove all Watch faces from S3/Classic (you can/should do a Complete backup of watch 1st) factory reset watch

3) Re-install Gear/Wear app on phone (if poss) and complete any updates 

4) Completely drain the Watch of power and leave off charger (pref over night)

5) Fully charge watch whilst in powered off mode

6) Power on re-pair with phone - complete any updates (recent one released) 

7) Restore from Back-up (this may not work as software may make older faces disappear)

😎 Use watch as normal as you can (do not keep checking (as I did)) and let device drain competely for a couple of days

It should be back to a couple of days at least.

Samsung has released an update - claiming to fix battery drain (got mine yesterday) so testing on-going.

Good luck

0 Likes