Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Gear VR2 USB Type-C Adaptors...

(Topic created on: 01-07-2017 09:30 AM)
Scotty
Explorer
Options

Hi everyone

Does anyone happen to know how anyone in the UK (or basically anyone outside of the US) is able to get their hands on a USB Type-C adaptor so a Galaxy S8 can work in a 2016 Gear VR2? Btw I'm talking about the sliding adaptor that connects directly into the phone inside the VR, not the external charging adaptor that comes in the box.

It is available on the Samsung Parts website in the US for around $13 but shipping to the UK is an additional $23 which is an absolute joke considering its value and the fact it's tiny. The Samsung part number is GH98-40350A, just type it into Google images and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Apparently all American Gear VR2's came with this adaptor included within the box but none of the UK versions did. I would be quite happy to make a small Paypal donation or something to anyone that has one going spare and can post to me in the UK. Called Samsung Support but they just tried to push me into buying a 2017 Gear VR w/Controller for £120 instead! Typical call centre sales monkeys. Thanks to anyone that can help me out or point me in the direction of somewhere in the UK or Europe that has these in stock, my best lead so far is from a Dutch company that say they might get some in a month or so...

Scotty
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
KellyM
Helping Hand
Options

Hi @Scotty,

The Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ are not compatible with older Gear VR devices. Check out our FAQ here

0 Likes
Scotty
Explorer
Options

KellyM

Since posting my initial message for help I have got hold of the required USB Type C Gear VR2 adaptor on eBay as it has come back into stock. Please do not knowingly post false information on public Samsung forums just to try and convince your customers that they need to buy more expensive products that they don't need.

If anyone else is reading this and needs the part in question, just copy the part number I originally posted and copy it into eBay/Google, I got mine on eBay for £11.50 with no postage fee.

Scotty
Gio_Ath
Student
Options

Kelly,

I came across Scotty's post as I too have a 2016 Gear VR headset from my S7 and now that I acquired my S8 I too am seeking part GH98-40350A where I live (Greece) ,that is why I turned to the EU Samsung community. 

Knowing what exists oit there and having read Scotty's original post, it is obvious you were either not competent to reply to his query or you replied without his (and other Members') best interest in mind. In either case, you should not be acting as a moderator and I intend to refer to this chain in follow up communication to Samsung, along with a list of other issues that compromise the interest of its customers- who pay premium prices and deserve to be treated with the appropriate level of respect and service. 

The least you could have done is follow up with an apology to Scotty. 

For now we can only hope that, if you continue to be a moderator in this channel, you will in future act more responsibly. 

0 Likes
Gio_Ath
Student
Options

Dear Scotty,

So sad to read you had a rough time getting an answer to your search. I'm having a bit of a problem getting hold of the adaptor here in Greece, where Samsung services and products are fewer than in the UK and I really took offence at the irresponsibility of a ..."moderator" in this instance. You'd think one would refrain from answering if they honestly did not know the correct answer... but who says Kelly did not know? 

Anyhow, good for you for posting back and I'm hoping something might change if more people took the time and bothered to express themselves. 

All the best to you, mate!

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi @Gio_Ath and @Scotty. :smileyhappy: I've sent you guys a PM.

Bottom line is that we're unable to recommend third-party or overseas parts. Also, to re-iterate what KellyM said, in the UK/Ireland, officially the previous GearVRs aren't supported for use with the S8 as per the FAQ from our site here.

0 Likes
redbaron101
Journeyman
Options
now I'm really confused!

I have the 2016 VR Sammy Goggles for my Note 4, and abs love it. It would be great if I could use the same goggles for my S8 plus.

So now two moderators have come online to say the older Goggles arent officially supported - why would Samsung *not* support the older Goggles on s8/s8 plus if they themselves sell the adapter on the US website and include it with the Goggles they sell in the US? Kind of give mixed signals?

@Scotty: what is your experience with the adapter - does it work ok?
AntS
Options

Hi @redbaron101. Understood - and apologies for that. We're going by the strict advice the UK/EIRE product guys have given us on this.

Nonetheless, I think that your question to Scotty is a good one. 

0 Likes
Solution
Scotty
Explorer
Options

Hi Guys

Before I answer redbaron's question, @AntS I do understand you make a fair point about moderators only being allowed to recommend official Samsung products as obviously you can't verify other parts & models being sold online (and you are Samsung after all). I would never expect any Samsung rep to advise a customer to buy something made by a third party.

That being said lol...

@redbaron101, the irony of this is that the only way I found the part number for the adaptor was by finding it on the Samsung Parts US website (which it sounds like you too have found- and then seen that the shipping fee for it is around $22 for a tiny tiny part that costs just $11 itself = *EXTORTION!*). I then copied and pasted the part number into eBay and bought the very same part model from a third party supplier on there. So yes your question still stands, as actually it is indeed an official Samsung part we are discussing, the only reason we are mentioning third parties is because they are currently the only ones willing to sell the parts over here in the UK and mainland Europe. Without wanting to get into any moderator-related trouble, I dare say that it is simply nowhere near as profitable for Samsung to be selling the adaptors for older VR's than have everyone splash out £120 for the 2017 model with the controller instead.

In answer to your second quesiton @redbaron101, yes it works aboslutely perfectly and fits like a glove with the phone inside. I too was sceptical as even after eventually finding & buying the part, I read various online forums full of scare stories about how the new phones, especially the bigger S8+, don't physically fit in older VR's. I assure you that they do! Photo attached as proof with my S8+ inside, apologies for the poor picture quality as I did this on my laptop's crappy camera to save time lol.

Loving my VR life once again!

Scotty

WIN_20170728_16_14_07_Pro.jpg

Scotty
0 Likes
redbaron101
Journeyman
Options

U da man Scotty!

Thanks for the update, I love the vr goggles, I am lucky enuff to have two old note 4's , one from when my missus went over to the dark side (and got an iphone), the other from my recent upgrade to s8+.  I notice on both phones on the vr goggles, they get hot fairly quickly - the only way i've been able to get around it is have a desktop fan blowing into my face - not ideal but does the job, does the s8+ heat up quickly without additional cooling?

0 Likes