Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 27-01-2019 09:19 AM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
Rognvaldsson
First Poster
Options
Sorry.. tizen 4.0.. the new operating system upgrade. Had to VPN to USA to get the upgrade as it is not available in Europe
0 Likes
Rainer_W
Pioneer
Options
Sure it is available in Europe! At least for my Gear Sport in Germany. But I had to search manually for it. I did the upgrade to Tizen4 in monday - but the HR issue remains
0 Likes
Wilq84
Journeyman
Options

For me it surprisingly work (without T4 update - here in Belgium it is not yet available) but I have to compare measurements with some more accurate and dedicated device like blood pressure device. However I'm afraid that it can be decent in still mode, but once there is some dynamic movement then accurracy can be lost. 

For you who has a problems: try to use 'always' option for HR tracking options, it will drain more battery but for me it is reporting seems to proper,but I used only walking mode so far

I have to check also other thing as during sleep it showed me even pulse rate 41 bpm last night...

0 Likes
pavlis
Pioneer
Options

Unfortunately, that's already been tested and it doesn't work, unless you play chess 🙂

The moment you do some *real* exercise, HR monitoring stops working. I've tried all apps including Built-in one, Underarmor and HR Monitor. None of them work: they never will as the fault is with either hardware, software or both. Samsung knows it yet they keep silent.

A new Galaxy Sport watch is about to be released. I bet it'll have the same issues as the previous two generations. BTW, HR monitoring *never worked* properly on Samsung Galaxy Watch (4G).

0 Likes
Wilq84
Journeyman
Options
Or boarding games, excluding monopoly :smiling-face: yeah I think based on comments here once I will test it during running my dreams will be destroyed
0 Likes
Wilq84
Journeyman
Options

Ok I tested it finally few days on different devices. 

Screenshot_20190127-093924_Samsung Health.jpg

20190127_093817.jpg

Seems that watch shows less calories burned. Maybe because on treadmill I was using different levels of elevation and watch cannot handle that difference Default elevationone was 1.0 with speed 12km/h but I changed it 2 times to values 2.0 and 7.5km/h just to have some rest for couple minutes. Heart rate was one time 199bpm...

Weird in general  :smiling-face:

On stationary bike it was quite accurate comparing with real device.

So maybe indeed there is something fishy with this dynamic movements and watch worked in these conditions 

0 Likes
pavlis
Pioneer
Options
That matches my experience with HR monitoring. Extensive periods without any reading. It's been 5 months since the watch was released and HR monitoring is still broken!
Unbelievable!!!
0 Likes
Wilq84
Journeyman
Options
😕 if at least that watch could read properly signal from pulsometer belt on chest instead of wrist, but then it would brake the main idea to have smart watch and HR monitoring on the wrist...so I will not get big improvement with this T4 update??
0 Likes
pavlis
Pioneer
Options
Well, my Samsung Galaxy Watch 4G runs Tizen 4.0.0.1 and HR is completely broken and useless.
0 Likes
Wilq84
Journeyman
Options

There are not only HR problems, also it cannot handle properly elevation measurements. I can walk up and down on stairs and from total 20 floors it will show me 7-8 or maybe definition of floor is kind of specific for it...

On stationary bike excercise it is showing more calories than in the real...how to trust in that watch then...

Last night it measured my heart rate constantly on level 98 - 105bpm where my normal hr is in range 45-50bpm. This morning I checked and it was 105bpm , on the S8 I checked with my finger and my hr was 67bpm. I had to restart watch then it did not work. I had to force it by manual measurement...

Btw does your watch properly handling auto hr settings? If I have it on frequent then it does not measure my hr every 10 min, but I noticed if you will start make workout then none of HR will be automatically recorded for whole exercising time..

It is really only me frustrated with this ^&*/*# watch???

Unbelievable....

0 Likes