Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 12-07-2018 04:09 PM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
Andrezao
Explorer
Options

Test it!! move your arm quickly, pretending that you're running but stand still. Make sure your beats increase gradually while you move without stopping your arm. In my case, what happens, that is, this watch does not measure anything at all heart rate is a misleading advertisement. I took my watch on Samsung and I'm waiting for an answer!

0 Likes
lilith14
Explorer
Options

Problem with shaking around your arm is wrist HR are all bad at that kind of movement, if you shake only the arm not wearing the watch do you get the same sudden flux upward also when you stop shaking your arm does it suddenly drop back to normal reading on the continuous HR page?

This is why chest HR is the only way to go for gym activities like ropes and fast rep activities.

Here is a cycle I did today pity auto detect didn’t pick it up but continuous HR reading worked throughout (As it always does for me) so here is an hour segment with the wrist HR on the S3 and the Garmin Edge with Chest HR now cycling doesn’t have a lot of fast wrist movement but the two tracked pretty close wrist HR will never be as quick at changing as a chest strap but the overall tracking is pretty good and AVG HR is too.

Shealth(continuous HR)                                     

2.png

Garmin Edge(Chest Strap)

Screenshot_20180712-152624.png

Now when I got my Gear S2 I knew the limitation of wrist HR but wanted just for commutes when not wearing a chest strap and to cover my all-day activity and a hub to put all my data together, I got the S3 as a free replacement for the faulty S2 a hardware issue, but then tizen 3 broke tracked activities and Samsung have done nothing for months.

Worse now it seems connected services is being removed which means I cannot track activities (As HR data is flatlines in a manual activity) and use Shealth as hub for MFP, Weight and Strava rides to be kept in one place.

I was going to get a Elemnt bolt but got the Edge 130 as I thinking before this news about connected services about leaving the Samsung Ecosystem, I am not sure if the shop will give me a chance to swap out the Gear S3 but otherwise I guess a family member not into health stuff will get it and lose Samsung a sale of the Gear Watch.

People who care about health should look at the Vivoactive 3 if where you bought the Samsung will let you exchange it, it has the option to allow you to connect a chest HR for activities that wrist HR does bad on and the wrist HR actually works if you are using for an activity. 

Worst part for me now is if they somehow decide to fix the HR on manual activities if connected serives is removed  it still doesn’t serve a hub for me.

TheRugbyProp
Explorer
Options

Thanks all for your contributions. I've decided to surrender and exchange my Gear Sport for a Fitbit Versa. Thank you (very much) to Best Buy for being so understanding about this (?!#) situation. Maybe now I'll have some time to focus on the issues my wife is having with her Gear FitPro 2 - I expect she'll be jealous and want me to exchange hers as well. There's always something.

Thanks Again!

0 Likes
lilith14
Explorer
Options

OK auto-detect did its job today and so I can show you the S3’s continuous HR vs Edge 130 with a chest strap that Strava imported back into SHealth. I have put the Edge 130’s reading along with the elevation and you can see as expected the wrist based doesn’t react as quick to the decrease when there is a  short down hill section as the chest strap but overall the S3 did very well especially once it get to flater sections there is some differences becuase auto-puase removed 6 mins of reading on the edge 130 mainly where I had to pull over for oncomming cars in the last 20 min.

S3(Continuous HR Auto-Detect)       Edge 130 (Chest Strap)

Screenshot_20180714-150513.pngScreenshot_20180714-150704.png

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Any further news on this problem mods?

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Any further news on this problem mods?

0 Likes
TracyR
Options

Hey @Ricky2

I'll chase this up with our R&D guys.

:thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

0 Likes
BBred
Journeyman
Options
Tracy,

just had a new update on watch. Very excited that it might fix the problem. Tried it on 17mile bike ride and only worked for 35% of the exercise time. I'm now looking to change to OS Wear as at least they will fix the problem. I will not be buying the new samsung watch which I would have done as I expect the software problem fixes never to be fixed. Sorry it's a negative response but I'm firm that I vote with my feet and wallet.
0 Likes
TracyR
Options

Sorry to hear that @BBred

I'll forward your results over to R&D.

Thanks for letting me know. 

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options