Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 11-07-2018 09:10 PM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
AntS
Options

Hi all. We're still chasing this for you folks, but no reply as of yet from the software team. 

0 Likes
DKBabs
Apprentice
Options

Hi Ant,

Thanks for your help so far with this and getting back to us

Just so we have transparency, what do you mean by chasing. Is it one email thats been sent and waiting for a reply or is it chasing in the sense of multiple emails sent and if there is no reply chasing via phone if there's availability for it - multiple times throughout a week.

Apologies if questions are interrogating, I only ask as there has been absolute zero movement on this. Coming from an industry where chasing means chasing it's good to get a sense of how much is actually being done to help resolve this that's in our control

Thanks! :smiling-face:

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

DKbabs,

I agree, we need more than just 'chasing' at this stage.

@AntS

Has the problem been acknowledged by the dev team?

Have they started work on a fix?

We all need to know if we are wasting our time by providing you with constant examples and data.

AntS
Options

No worries @DKBabs. :robothappy:

To set some expectations:

The Community Team can only relay stuff to the relevant departments to make them aware and keep them updated. We’re unable to dictate their response, response time, or any other timescales.

If it helps a little, in my experience, silence from the software team/developers to things we've escalated to them isn't about apathy from them, and more about info gathering; analysis; solution suggestions/work; and any wider/higher level communication needed in any of that due to the complexity of an issue.

0 Likes
Sven_B
Pathfinder
Options

Yesterday I sent an official request to Samsung via Samsung Members, also referring to this thread and the corresponding one from the german community.

They just replied that I have the possibility to send the watch to a service center.

But this quote is the best:

"Note: Unfortunately, we currently have no information that the symptom you are experiencing is due to a SW error. Please understand that we do not confirm or rate contributions from forums"

What!?!?

To me this means, that the support is not informed about the issues that are discussed in forums....

TheRugbyProp
Explorer
Options

Thanks for the feedback Sven_B.

I think that makes our situation pretty clear.

So, I guess it's time to think: Garmin, Suunto, or ?. Or maybe, just give up on a smartwatch and get a simple fitness tracker (Fitbit). At least, until they've figured out how to measure heartrate. Last night, during my cycle warm-up by Gear Sport read 150+ bpm, compared to a cycle reading of about 100 bpm. It also said great activity day, a best. If the error of the heart rate is way off, then their calories calculation will also be way off. So, what good is the Sport!

Dear Samsung, this has been a waste of $250 and about 6 weeks of my time! [I exchanged the original watch I bought, same problem, I sent the 2nd watch in to be serviced, same problem!] Not a good way to build a loyal customer base.

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi Sven_B,

I called and spoke to Samsung direct a few weeks ago and pointed them direct to this thread.

They said they would chase with the relevant department.

Obviously that call got us no where.

Today i also learnt that the 'connected services' feature is no longer going to be supported in future.

This means no Strava sync - despite them saying Strava sync would be fixed in V6 of Samsung health (another thread).

Its time to get another watch... and also stay away from Samsung in future.

It worth having a look at this as well:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.samsung.com/uk

Turstpilot score 1/10... over 860 reviews.

lilith14
Explorer
Options

Ricky where did you hear about the Strava integration being removed, Gear Tracker sending to Strava then Strava back to Shealth is the only thing keeping me semi OK with the watch atm, If Strava connection is removed and Shealth still bugged then it is totally worthless.

I just bought a Garmin Edge 130 to replace using my phone for longer rides so am thinking of giving the S3 to a family member who was going to get the Gear Watch when they came out, they don't do much manual activities so the notifications and auto tracking (which gives limited data) which works fine for me and seems to match my HR strap when I let the watch auto record would do nicely for their odd walk.

I have been telling them just go Garmin Vivoactive 3 after my issues with the Samsung but they are not into the health stuff and more into smart watch thing which granted I think Samsung have the best watch for that. But warned them not to buy a Gear Watch on release and wait to see if there is issue as Samsung don’t seem to care to fix them if there is.

So, I am thinking after getting the edge 130 I might just jump into the Garmin ecosystem fully with a Forerunner 645 or Fenix 5 (I love how they can broadcast the HR from their watches to the head unit for days I don’t want to use a strap, or they can connect to  cadence sensors direct) if they drop price now the 5+ is out rather than having two apps and think my family member will love the S3.

I was going to message the Gear Tracker Dev to see if there was a way to push a BLE HR from the watch as he seems to be better with HR development but if Strava integration with Shealth get removed then what’s the point.

Also is the Connected Services removal just Strava what about MFP and the likes?

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi lilith14,

See attached image. It doesn't specifically mention Strava, but Strava is part of the connected services.Screenshot_20180711-213512_Samsung Health.jpg

Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

So I have had more double counting heart rate readings the last few days....

I was walking the dog this morning using the manual exercise walking option,mainly as it seems the best option for my running,and I noticed while walking on flat my HR was 182 which is higher than when I am running 🤔 so hmmmmmmm......

Then tonight when I was walking I had another HR reading up in the high 170's and low 180's and I wasn't out of breath or anything. 

The longer this goes on, the more upset and frustrated I am. I spent £300 on this smart watch with what I felt was confidence,due to my general brand confidence. What a fool. 

I had a fitbit and moved away from them as I had massive connectivity and sync issues, was very active on the community and fitbit failed to resolve the issues. I feel like this is deja vu with a different problem. I cannot afford to replace my watch and I doubt Samsung would give me my money back after 4 months. 

Feeling very despondent 

0 Likes