Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch rash

(Topic created on: 20-01-2019 03:39 PM)
Roro87
Apprentice
Options

Rash on part of my wrist from wearing the new 2018 46mm watchRash on part of my wrist from wearing the new 2018 46mm watch

I received my pre ordered Samsung Gear 46mm 2018 watch on September 7th 2018 and have been wearing it often. Remove it for showering and charging and sometimes I sleep with it.

Recently iv noticed this rash developing and it slightly irritates me. The rash area is sore red and it looks like the skin is stretched or burnt. Th picture does bit show as clear as seen in person.

Iv done some googling and found a few people complain about similar rash on the older gear watches. They state it could be the strap and say to try it on the other hand to see if you have an allergic reaction etc.

I have a bit of an issue with this, I am a contractor and work with my hands, if this causes something more serious or stops me from doing my work it would be financially un-beneficial for me.

I have been tested befoe for allergies and my results came back clear so I dont know exactly what going on. 

If anybody from Samsung or otherwise can provide some insight into my situation please let me know asap. It's a bit annoying paying 300 quid for a watch that's going to give me a rash

Cheers

491 REPLIES 491
invert
Explorer
Options

What really annoys me that they are not taking this case serious I just got a reply from support and all they wrote was that the watch has some nickel(which may explain the rash) in it although it is supposed to be safe and under some "reach" norms and all under european regulations etc. etc. They didn't even propose a giftcard for another band or anything. I'm left with a watch I cannot wear and they feel like it's ok. 

Edit: So I've heard they are still processing my request, but i had to call them in order to check it. There was no additional information in the email.

0 Likes
PaulSheldon
First Poster
Options

Heres mine & my wifes is just as bad.

I'm beginning to think the strap is unsuitable and not fit for purpose.

20190117_222751.jpg20190117_223134.jpg20190117_223146.jpg

0 Likes
invert
Explorer
Options

Maybe we should consider comparing our serial numbers, as some part may be contaminated or faulty. There is a possibility we will find someting in it.

0 Likes
kai14
Student
Options

Model: SM-R800

S/N: R5AKA0T5A2N

0 Likes
invert
Explorer
Options
Model: SM-R800
S/N: R5AKB0KK4WY
0 Likes
Doing
First Poster
Options

This has nothing to do with the material of the watch or strap. Do you wear the band continuously and extraordinarily tight? I ask because it looks like a skin infection that I've seen resulting from people wearing their watch straps too tight to allow air and never taking their watches off. It's always from the synthetic straps because both the metal and leather straps allow airflow to the skin and help ameliorate skin infection . 

0 Likes
invert
Explorer
Options
For it's sensors to work it has to be worn tight not super tight, but a bit tighter than regular watch indeed. Still in my opinion they had to test it in such environments. I find no logic in wearing this watch without working sensors.
0 Likes
Doing
First Poster
Options

No . For the sensors to work, they need to be placed SNUGLY against the skin. There's no need to death grip tightness on your wrist, which is what I'm predicting you're doing. 

I wear the same watch as you, and my heart rate monitoring is accurate, confirmed by both spo2 and ekg sensors. 

What you have on your wrist is a fungal infection, and you will continue to suffer problems with recurrence until you loosen the strap and take it off for at least 4 hours a day. 

0 Likes
MarkyFY
Explorer
Options

@Doing wrote:

No . For the sensors to work, they need to be placed SNUGLY against the skin. There's no need to death grip tightness on your wrist, which is what I'm predicting you're doing. 

I wear the same watch as you, and my heart rate monitoring is accurate, confirmed by both spo2 and ekg sensors. 

What you have on your wrist is a fungal infection, and you will continue to suffer problems with recurrence until you loosen the strap and take it off for at least 4 hours a day. 

I disagree. I didn't wear my watch in a 'death grip'. It wasn't wet below the strap. It wasn't rubbing. The strap, just plain and simply, caused a skin reaction.

There is a problem with the composition or the manufacturing processes involved in making the silicone strap, for some people.

I personally feel it is unacceptable to ship a high-priced product with a component known to cause quite severe skin reactions for some people when an alternative is available.

0 Likes
Doing
First Poster
Options

You can try to deny it all you want, but this is an infection resulting from your poor habits. You have two options: curvec your habits to allow the skin to breathe, or quit complaining .

0 Likes