Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch - screen wake up/turn off behaviour is irritating

(Topic created on: 09-12-2018 08:40 PM)
ConcreteLlama
Navigator
Options

I got my Galaxy Watch on Friday and for the most part I love it. However, a couple of things really bug me about a) the consistency of the wake up gesture and b) its tendency to turn the screen off much more quickly than it should.

So for a) - sometimes I just find that the wake up gesture doesn't work at all and I have to put my arm down and then back up again until it works. This feature is one of the most fundamental aspects of a smart watch that needs to work. It is especially noticable if I'm lying down but occasionally causes issues when sitting or standing. I think it's something your engineers really need to look at as, after a quick Google, I've seen many people complain about it on the Gear S3. I hope this is looked into as the fact it was an issue back then but still hasn't been fixed is a bit of a bad sign to me...

For b) I have 2 main issues. 1 is that the screen timeout setting only applies if the watch was woken up by the buttons and not by the wake up gesture. I think it's fine to have a different screen timeout if it was woken by gesture, but it should really be a configurable option.

The other annoyance is that the screen turns off when you tilt the watch back down. I think this is OK if you've woken the watch up with a gesture but it should be possible to disable this if the watch has been woken up by buttons or the dial. 

119 REPLIES 119
d4005
Explorer
Options
@MajorSinner Sadly nothing is an easy fix for this watch because they're not interested in what we want. I gave up on my SGW. It won't work the way I expect it to and its been too long to return it. I'd sell it or give it to someone for free but I'm not that nasty ... to inflict the pain of one of these things on anyone else.
Sylarwatch
First Poster
Options

Hello everybody,

Me and my wife purchased 2 Galaxy Watch recently, the gold 42mm and the 46mm for me...

We are both impressed by the potential and quality of these watches... Although something seems to be wrong with them : 

1/ the gesture : we struggle to switch on the screen as it seems to be working randomly. Sometimes it works, most of the time it does not... We need a strong wrist-twist to ignite...Too bad.

2/ the 5 seconds display to watch the clock is way too short ! This setting should be customer-adjustable ! Such as the timer working for the button press action.

3/ AOD ??? Sorry but the best display I get is with light at level 3 approx... I should be able to adjust it also and disable it if I need to !

We hope an upgrade will fix the issue...

Marcus1970
First Poster
Options

Can someone help me? I would like my Galaxy watch face to always be on. I don’t care about battery life. I had this same issue with the Galaxy 2. I thought it would be fixed by now. Just got this new one. The feature is turned on but doesn’t work. My time out is set to the max and goes out after a few seconds. I am seeing other people with the same problem.  @Samsung or anyone any way to fix this issue???

0 Likes
black05x5
Student
Options

I also want to keep my watch face always on and bright.  I'm trying out an app called  "I am Alive".  Found it in the Galaxy app store.

RickB1
Apprentice
Options

My Settings;

AUTO LOW BRIGHTNESS “ON"

SCREEN TIME OUT "1 MINUTE”
WAKE UP GESTURE “ON”
BEZEL WAKEUP “ON”
GOODNIGHT MODE “OFF”
WATCH ALWAYS ON “ON”
HEART RATE SET TO “FREQUENT"

Ladies and Gentleman, i'm new to this page and stumbled across it last night.  
I was frustrated by the screen constantly going dark even with the "always on" set to on.  Last night i got the watch to stay lit from 6pm through the night.  It will dim and go to full brightness when lifted up to a horizontal plane towards uour face.  I slept with it on my wrist and illuminated all night long. When i took it off this morning to shower it now turned off.  Further playing i see that if you wear it the display will stay iluminated,  but when laying the watch on a table it shuts off.  You must have contact with the heart monitor for the “ALWAYS ON” to work.  I hope i’m not misleading anyone, but my display only shuts off when i put it on my desk.  As soon as i put it on my wrist the display turns on and it’s been constantly on all day long.  …
PS even if i turn off the Auto Heart Rate it still needs to make contact to know it’s being worn...  When the watch is at your side, or not in the trigger position, it does dim, but it's clearly visable and not blank
0 Likes
M4DJ
First Poster
Options
Se problem here
0 Likes
todd1234
First Poster
Options

@ConcreteLlama wrote:

I got my Galaxy Watch on Friday and for the most part I love it. However, a couple of things really bug me about a) the consistency of the wake up gesture and b) its tendency to turn the screen off much more quickly than it should.

So for a) - sometimes I just find that the wake up gesture doesn't work at all and I have to put my arm down and then back up again until it works. This feature is one of the most fundamental aspects of a smart watch that needs to work. It is especially noticable if I'm lying down but occasionally causes issues when sitting or standing. I think it's something your engineers really need to look at as, after a quick Google, I've seen many people complain about it on the Gear S3. I hope this is looked into as the fact it was an issue back then but still hasn't been fixed is a bit of a bad sign to me...

For b) I have 2 main issues. 1 is that the screen timeout setting only applies if the watch was woken up by the buttons and not by the wake up gesture. I think it's fine to have a different screen timeout if it was woken by gesture, but it should really be a configurable option.

The other annoyance is that the screen turns off when you tilt the watch back down. I think this is OK if you've woken the watch up with a gesture but it should be possible to disable this if the watch has been woken up by buttons or the dial. 

Okay I found a fix for everyone that is having problems with the watch face turning off or turning black the solution is to turn gestures off

0 Likes
todd1234
First Poster
Options

@todd1234 wrote:

Okay I found a fix for everyone that is having problems with the watch face turning off or turning black the solution is to turn gestures off

Or in other words turn wake up gesture "OFF"

0 Likes
Cryztal
Explorer
Options

@ConcreteLlama wrote:

I agree. I love my watch,  but I just want my watch face to stay on all the time. 

0 Likes
Cryztal
Explorer
Options
I tested mine it screens out after 3 seconds. I have it set to screen out after 5 mins. Because this was the longest time I could choose. I would prefer for the screen not to time out at all.
0 Likes