Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch not measuring Heart rate

(Topic created on: 18-02-2019 05:51 PM)
M1ch3ll3
Apprentice
Options

I have the new Galaxy watch, received on 7th September and after 1 recorded exercise the heart rate monitor is flatlining after 10 minutes. 

First walk

Screenshot_20180913-113612_Samsung Health.jpg

First run below

Screenshot_20180913-113603_Samsung Health.jpg

Second recorded walk

Screenshot_20180913-113553_Samsung Health.jpg

I am annoyed as I want to keep track of my heart rate during exercise. I also wonder if this effects the calories burned if it cannot record the heart rate correctly. 

This appears to be a common theme for Samsung watches as my husbands S3 did the same, purchased Sept 2017, at the beginning of the year. 

433 REPLIES 433
Vanilo
First Poster
Options

I have got the exact same problem. The heart rate sensor never work properly after the two weeks. Initially, I thought it was because the software updates or I didn't wear properly until I found this forum thread...

This will be my last Samsung device, should have got myself a Garmin/Apple watch.

0 Likes
AndreiV
Navigator
Options

During workout, walking and running on treadmill, the first 8 (eight!!!) Minutes were not recorded

What a shame

Had to simply restart the watch during workout to actually make it working again

I have the latest firmware, the area under thevl watch is shaved, I wear it above wrist and very tight, leaving scars. What is going on? Where are the moderators??

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

Seriously, it's worse now then it was on release date last September. Since the last update it simply stops recording HR during any workout, only fix is to stop and reboot it making any useful data redundant.

Samsung really don't care, I can't wait to get rid of it to be honest, it's shocking at fitness tracking and the positives are now outweighed by the negatives by some margin.

I'll never make this mistake again and will stick to Fitbit or Garmin if I can find somebody to buy this.

sonnnet
Pioneer
Options

Gear Tracker is incredible. Please can people not waste their time trying to get S Health to work. It won't. There are fundamental problems with the sensor software of the Galaxy Watch, even after the Samsung software update. One of the biggest problems is that the watch stops reading HR values and GPS values while the screen is off. Gear Tracker addresses this by monitoring those sensors. When they stop reading, Gear Tracker starts the services to start them reading again. It's an incredibly well programmed app and it effectively solves the HR and GPS problems.

As said above, the latest version of Gear Tracker is awaiting validation. By guess who... Samsung. Their validation process is shocking and we can only wait. You can still download the current version of Gear Tracker, but the newer version is even better, lots more features. And I can confirm that it records calories for all activities. 

With regard to syncing to S Health, what Gear Tracker is unique for (in Galaxy Watch terms) is its automatic uploading of activities to Strava. It happens seconds after your workout when you have WiFi or connected via BT to your phone, or I think via LTE. If you also want the data synced to S Health, then in S Health settings on the PHONE, you need to have Strava linked as a connected service to S Health, so that the data your watch has just written to Strava can be written in turn to S Health. This sync isn't within seconds, it usually happens at the start of the next day (eg at midnight). This is either due to Strava or S Health server settings. But it does work and it is consistent.

Honestly, Gear Tracker has turned my Galaxy Watch from frustratingly awful to a proper fitness tracking wearable. 

GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

New Gear Tracker is live, unfortunately for me it also stopped recording HR after 30 minutes and nailed 27% battery in 4 hours so had to uninstall. 

When I get time the author is going to take a look for me, seems a genuine chap so reason to doubt it's good.

sonnnet
Pioneer
Options
There's another update coming soon. I'm in the beta testing group. Stick with it and in contact with the developer. As you say, he's genuine and he's also determined. As I've said, I'm getting perfect HR and GPS graphs and stats now and I don't see any reason why you won't, when the new Gear Tracker public release is out.
0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

Funnily enough he just added me to the Beta Test too to see if it irons out the issues. I only use for workouts feature, wouldn't track runs or rides so guess this is new for the app, bit of tweaking here and there.

The HR freeze could have been a one off, the battery drain was little more concerning and very similar to Under Armour Record, absolutely nailed the GW in hours.

Do you know if you can set it to show calories during workout, HR & Calories would be great to see.

Amazing tbis chap can fix what Samsung won't even acknowledge 😄

sonnnet
Pioneer
Options
Great! I'll see you on there...
You can configure the display to just about anything so, yes, I expect so. Check out this video which will explain:

https://youtu.be/15MYzo_s-Qc
0 Likes
blahzay
First Poster
Options

Gear tracker is not the solutions it works just as bad as S health the only difference is that Gear tracker shows the last HR reading even when there is no value whereas S Health displays 2 bars.  So there is an underlying issue that no app can fix. That being said its still a very nice app.

0 Likes
sonnnet
Pioneer
Options

You are missing the point there. You are correct that GT will show the last value as opposed to 2 bars. However, GT will then restart the HR service where as S Health will do nothing. If GT is not working in this way, contact the developer.