Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Watch and Strava

(Topic created on: 04-10-2018 12:09 PM)
trbox
Apprentice
Options

I just bought the Galaxy Watch 42mm, and so far I'm happy with the watch. The UI is great, navigating with the bezel is a dream, and notifications work great even though I'm using an iPhone.

However, the fact that I have no option to use Strava with the Galaxy Watch, either native app or through Samsung Health, is mind-boggling. And infuriating. Especially since Strava is featured as one of the apps for the Galaxy Watch on Samsung's website (https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-watch/). 

Imgur link showing how they feature the Strava app on Galaxy Watch (https://imgur.com/a/CkUan2p).

The only communication regarding Strava on the Galaxy Watch is from @StravaSupport on Twitter. Which in itself is weird. No communication from Samsung, yet Strava informs the community that Samsung is working on an app.

I really hope Samsung tells us what their plan is, and when we can expect the Strava app. Featuring an app on their "showcase" page that isn't available several weeks after launch is unacceptable.

So, Samsung: what is your plan with regards to the advertised Strava app on the Galaxy Watch?

Go to solution
102 REPLIES 102
JohanDeVilliers
Journeyman
Options

Yes, you can record activities without being connected to your phone. Afterwards when you are connected to your phone again, you can manually sync the activities from Strava history on your watch.

Kp72
Apprentice
Options

As long as you have the app on your watch, yes you can leave your phone at home. It just syncs when they connect together by bluetooth..

0 Likes
JamesC23
Journeyman
Options

Having trouble syncing again.  Walked a few miles this morning, finalised the activity on my watch and it said it had sync’d.  Checked my Strava feed for the activity and it wasn’t there.  Strange.  Went back to the watch’s history, the activity was there so ‘tapped’ to sync, waited a few seconds and it said ‘sync completed’, only the activity still provided the opportunity to ‘tap to sync’ again and hadn’t uploaded to my feed.  Tried it by WiFi, Bluetooth.....cannot get it to sync.  Don’t know what’s up.

An hour later my watch notified me that Strava was zapping the battery and sure enough, down 40% in an hour.

0 Likes
Slettebo
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem. Strava on the watch won't sync. Please help anyone. Can I find the file anywhere else so upload manually? 

0 Likes
sb300869
First Poster
Options

Strava app on the galaxy watch is so rubbish therefore I reverted back to samsung health sync to strava. 

On the Strava watch app, I was having issues with GPS, getting the incorrect distance etc.. 

0 Likes
te0ma
First Poster
Options

Im having the same issues. Gps keeps dropping and all distances are wrong. Also why did they not include audio cues. Anyways I deleted the app and now samsung health is not syncing either. feeling really disapointed.   

0 Likes
sb300869
First Poster
Options

Running again today and yest again gps and miles are incorrect, that is 3 times this week. I have now given up on this watch. Just purchase Garmin Vivoactive 3 and I will sell my galaxy watch. 

0 Likes
kentaro
First Poster
Options

I am thinking of buys the Garmin Vicoactive 3 as well and sell my Gear Watch. How is the Vivoactive compared with the Galaxy Watch? Any pros/Cons?

0 Likes
daath
Explorer
Options

The Vivoactive 3 is a *far* superior fitness watch. Step counter is better. GPS is fairly solid (although sometimes that too gets a bit inaccurate), the heart rate monitor works all the time. I wear my Vivoactive 3 when I go for a run. I just use my Galaxy Watch as a dress watch :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

I would by the Music edition now (they didn't have them when I bought my Vivoactive 3).

0 Likes
kentaro
First Poster
Options

Haha thanks. Well actually the GPS accuracy is not that bad on my Galaxy watch (I just went for a run with my Smartphone and Watch and turned Strava on both devices on). The deviation was <2% which is negligible in my eyes. But again, the sync did not work (again) which frustrated me (again). Also, when I use the watch for a run and turn Spotify and Strava on the battery drain is massive (70% in just 45 minutes). I also read that the garmin vivoactive 3 supports Spotify offline modus since a few weeks so another consideration to change to the garmin vivoactive 3 music.

0 Likes