Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Tab S4 Samsung Cloud Settings Backup not working when connected with Ethernet.

(Topic created on: 02-01-2019 08:05 PM)
Rich05UK
Explorer
Options

Hi,

Before purchasing my Samsung GalaxyG Tab S4 I asked Samsung if it supports Ethernet connectivity as I work in a secure office which does not permit WiFi.  I was told if I purchased a third party Ethernet to USB-C adaptor that yes, it would work.

I can confirm it works perfectly, all the apps work, Google play auto updates all my apps, Google auto backup of my photos and videos etc also works perfectly.  However, the Samsung Cloud Settings Backup fails to work, I get an error popup on my screen every so often stating that backup is unable to connect over WiFi, well there isn't any WiFi as I'm connected with Ethernet?

I've checked the settings in the app but it only gives 2 options, backup over mobile data and WiFi OR backup over WiFi only.  I'd have thought ethernet should be detected and automatically used as an alternative to WiFi but it doesn't, an error that Samsung has put into this app.  As I stated above, all the other apps work fine and seamlessly work over ethernet instead of Wi-Fi.  

Samsung, can you fix this bug so that Samsung Cloud settings backup works over ethernet in the same way as it would over WiFi.  I'm getting really annoyed with this error that keeps appearing on my screen and that my settings are not getting backed up.

Thanks,

RichardScreenshot_20190102-202912_Samsung DeX home.jpg

19 REPLIES 19
AntS
Options

Hi @Rich05UK

I've forwarded this on to our software team for you. Me or one of the other Mods will let you know of any feedback we get from our developers. :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

mitopa
Pathfinder
Options

u@mitopa wrote:

@Rich05UK wrote:

Hi,

Before purchasing my Samsung GalaxyG Tab S4 I asked Samsung if it supports Ethernet connectivity as I work in a secure office which does not permit WiFi.  I was told if I purchased a third party Ethernet to USB-C adaptor that yes, it would work.

I can confirm it works perfectly, all the apps work, Google play auto updates all my apps, Google auto backup of my photos and videos etc also works perfectly.  However, the Samsung Cloud Settings Backup fails to work, I get an error popup on my screen every so often stating that backup is unable to connect over WiFi, well there isn't any WiFi as I'm connected wi.  

wifi is ethernet too.

what you have is a USB-C to RJ45 adapter.

with that said, we must check IP addresses and network interfaces, including the adapter.

1) open shell and run 'ifconfig' with adapter installed and again without it.

please show us results.

2) can the the IPs be pinged?

3) tab s4 and gateway: can they ping each other?

update: yes, now you have an extra network port, the one created  by the USB_C to rj45 adapter.

solution: bridge the wifi and rj45 interfaces.  Windows does that, not sure about abdroid.

0 Likes
Rich05UK
Explorer
Options

@mitopa wrote:

u@mitopa wrote:

@Rich05UK wrote:

Hi,

I can confirm it works perfectly, all the apps work, Google play auto updates all my apps, Google auto backup of my photos and videos etc also works perfectly.  However, the Samsung Cloud Settings Backup fails to work, I get an error popup on my screen every so often stating that backup is unable to connect over WiFi, well there isn't any WiFi as I'm connected wi.  

wifi is ethernet too.

what you have is a USB-C to RJ45 adapter.

with that said, we must check IP addresses and network interfaces, including the adapter.

1) open shell and run 'ifconfig' with adapter installed and again without it.

please show us results.

2) can the the IPs be pinged?

3) tab s4 and gateway: can they ping each other?

update: yes, now you have an extra network port, the one created  by the USB_C to rj45 adapter.

solution: bridge the wifi and rj45 interfaces.  Windows does that, not sure about abdroid.

I've included 2 screen shots showing the ifconfig both with the ethernet adaptor connected (wifi turned off using airplane mode) and the ethernet adaptor disconnected (with wifi enabled).

I've pinged both the adaptor addresses and the gateway with success. 

Ethernet adaptor connectedEthernet adaptor connectedWifi (Ethernet adaptor disconnected)Wifi (Ethernet adaptor disconnected)

0 Likes
mitopa
Pathfinder
Options

@Rich05UK wrote:

w/adapt

eth0: 10.55.5.108/24

without

wlan0: 10.55.5.106/24

if the USB-RJ45 adpater was removed, how does the WLAN interface obtain an IP address if, as you mentioned, there is no wifi available in your jobsite?

also, does the apater require you to disable to wlan/wifi interface?     If you keep it on, what happens?

0 Likes
Rich05UK
Explorer
Options

@mitopa wrote:

@Rich05UK wrote:

w/adapt

without

if the USB-RJ45 adpater was removed, how does the WLAN interface obtain an IP address if, as you mentioned, there is no wifi available in your jobsite?

also, does the apater require you to disable to wlan/wifi interface?     If you keep it on, what happens?

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating this solution at home, until its working completely then I'm not going to take it into work.

The WiFi is from my Broadband Router and to test Ethernet, I simply pluged a Cat5e cable between the same Broadband Router and the Ethernet Adaptor which is in turn connected to the USB-C port of the Tab S4.  This way I know that data connections through either interface (W/Lan and Ethernet) are using the same network, hence why both connection types have a similar local IP address.

The ethernet adaptor doesnt require me to disable the WiFi interface on the Tab S4, if I dont put the Tab S4 into airoplane mode then both interfaces (W/Lan and Ethernet) each pickup an IP address.

I'm just finding it strange how on WiFi everything works fine but on Ethernet only (WiFi disabled), the device Software Update doesnt work and Samsung Cloud doesnt work when everything else works fine includng Microsoft Cloud, Google Cloud, Google Play (including updates to Google Play Installed Apps) and evey other app I have istalled, all work fine over ethernet?

It has to be an issue with the Samsung Software that for whatever reason, does not detect or recognise the Ethernet Interface as being a valid data connection.

0 Likes
Rich05UK
Explorer
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi @Rich05UK

I've forwarded this on to our software team for you. Me or one of the other Mods will let you know of any feedback we get from our developers. :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Hi,

Any update as this is still a problem and I feel like i've been mis-sold something by Samsung which has cost me over £800 includig the cost of the third party ethenet adaptor.

I find it odd how everything works, including Google Cloud, Google Sync, Google Play Updates to apps, Microsoft Cloud, Microsoft Sync etc, but the only thing that does NOT work is the Samsung Cloud, Samsung Sync and Device Update (including security Updates).

This is absolutely 100% a Samsung Software Issue.  It needs to be fixed, promptly.

Regards,

Richard.

mitopa
Pathfinder
Options

@Rich05UK wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating this solution at home, until its working completely then I'm not going to take it into work.

The WiFi is from my Broadband Router and to test Ethernet, I simply pluged a Cat5e cable between the same Broadband Router and the Ethernet Adaptor which is in turn connected to the USB-C port of the Tab S4.  This way I know that data connections through either interface (W/Lan and Ethernet) are using the same network, hence why both connection types have a similar local IP address.

The ethernet adaptor doesnt require me to disable the WiFi interface on the Tab S4, if I dont put the Tab S4 into airoplane mode then both interfaces (W/Lan and Ethernet) each pickup an IP address.

I'm just finding it strange how on WiFi everything works fine but on Ethernet only (WiFi disabled), the device Software Update doesnt work and Samsung Cloud doesnt work when everything else works fine includng Microsoft Cloud, Google Cloud, Google Play (including updates to Google Play Installed Apps) and evey other app I have istalled, all work fine over ethernet?

It has to be an issue with the Samsung Software that for whatever reason, does not detect or recognise the Ethernet Interface as being a valid data connection..

0 Likes
mitopa
Pathfinder
Options

@Rich05UK wrote:

@mitopa wrote:

w/adapt

without

Hi,

It has to be an issue with the Samsung Software that for whatever reason, does not detect or recognise the Ethernet Interface as being a valid data connection.

something doesn't make sense here.

if you do not disable WLAN (or do not enable airplane mode), then you obtain the above, correct?

what is the maker/name of the USB-C to Ethernet adapter?

I see you have adb, so it is paramount to capture the sequence of events that result in the failure you describe.

Can you do a logcat capture during the icloude backup?

Many important clues should be shown and, more importantly, it will help the samsung development team.

0 Likes
mitopa
Pathfinder
Options

and did I forget to mention wireshark.

not from the tab s4 (unless you're rooted), but running wireshark on the host the is connected to the ethernet port of the tab s4.

0 Likes