Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Tab S T705 sd slot fault

(Topic created on: 02-04-2017 11:00 AM)
derobr_75
Navigator
Options

I upgraded from the Tab 3 t210 to the Tab S t705 and I'm having an issue with my sd cards.. I had a Samsung 32gb Evo HC in my tab 3 for about 2 years with no issues, transferred it over to my Tab S and it somehow got corrupted and died.Thinking it might be an age thing or somehow my fault, I purchased a new Samsung 64gb Pro XC. Put this new card in my Tab S, formatted it, moved some music and games from the internal storage to the sd card when I get a message saying the external memory is full, (850mb used of 60gb!). The new card then crashed and I lost everything ... Is it possible to have a fault with the sd slot on my Tab S? I have contacted Samsung support via email a few weeks ago and had no response.. The Tab S was purchased not new and the sd cards have all been genuine Samsung if this helps. Thanks for any help.. 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi derobr_75 I will see if I can help you out :smiling-face:

Can you tell me what sort of format you did on the SD card? (quick or full format)

0 Likes
derobr_75
Navigator
Options

Hi, both quick and full on laptop, quick format seems to work but when I put the sd in the Tab or my Note 3, I get an error message saying card is corrupt or unusable. Full format on laptop fails. Tried formatting using my Note 3 ,either get the corrupted/unusable message or card is not recognised at all. If I do complete a format, when I try to copy over music/pics, data becomes unreadable. I'm guessing the sd cards are now dead, I've since purchased a new sd card but don't want to put it into the Tab S until I can maybe get this problem sorted before I kill another card.. Thanks for the help! 

0 Likes
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi again if the SD card had been curpted they can still be used at a lesser capacity, what you can do (via a pc) is run a program called chkdsk if you follow the procedure bellow you should be able to recover the card, once its recovered try it again (save using the new card) 

Fix 1 - At times, some of the devices may not read an SD card, therefore, try to connect your SD card to another device.

Fix 2 - Insert the affected card into a card reader and connect it to your system. Click on the "Start" option from your Windows taskbar and then select the "Computer" option. Search for your SD card under "Devices with Removable Storage" and note the drive letter assigned.

Next, click the "Start" option again and type "cmd" in the "search" box. Right-click "cmd" and then select the "Run as administrator" option. A command window opens, and you can fix your corrupt memory card from here. Next, type "chkdsk" followed by the drive letter corresponding to the SD card, then by a colon and /f. After you press "enter", the Chkdsk will check for possible errors and try to fix the corrupt SD card. Follow the subsequent message prompts.

**TBH I have never seen a card reader keep killing cards so qive it a try**

Give it a go it may recover the SD card but if some parts are damaged the data has been lost already.

Any questions let me know :smiling-face:

derobr_75
Navigator
Options

Hi again, chkdsk failed to repair the sd cards, chkdsk did complete it's scan, tried to format in my Note 3, didn't work. Happy to try other things if possible but I really need to figure out if it is my Tab S that is damaging the sd cards.. 

0 Likes
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

Well in a most cases chkdsk should be able create a work around and you end up with some lost clusters and less memory on the card but this sounds different, now I would say best thing to do is take it to a Samsung out let and get them to look at it (stick there own card in to see it happen) rather than risk losing another card. I have only ever seen a few issues with card readers killing SD cards and that was due to faults in the contacts due to muck inside pc's but that should not happen on a tablet. The other way to move some data if you need to iv via the micro usb slot by plugging in a cable called a "OTG" On the go cable and moving data that way via a thumb drive or a USB card reader. 

**But my main advise would be get it checked out**

Anything else I could sugest would put more cards at risk sorry could not solve this for you 😞

derobr_75
Navigator
Options

No problem, that's the point I'm at as well, thanks for your help, will get back with any results.. Cheers!!