Support

Open search

Galaxy S6 fingerprint scanner no longer working

Apprentice

Hello everyone,my fingerprint was working fine till afternoon,then suddenly I tried unlocking my device and I couldn't with fingerprint. I went to settings and it told me fingerprint error,please restart your device bla bla. When I dial *#0*# under fingerprint test it shows the version but when I click normal test it says fingerprint initializing fail.Could anyone help?

55 REPLIES 55
EmmaS Moderator

Welcome to the Community Makisss99!

When did the fingerprint unlock feature on your S6 stop working? Was anything changed beforehand? e.g. Software update, download/update of apps

Is there any damage to your Home button, and can you try wiping it with a clean, dry cloth? 

EmmaS

Apprentice

It stopped working yesterday,the phone was locked on the table,I tried unlocking it with fingerprint and it told me fingerprint scanner error,please restart your device bla bla.I cleaned the home button still nothing.The other thing I have tried is wiping cache through recovery.The first time after reboot the scanner worked and I managed to unlock the device 2-3 times but after a while the scanner stopped responding again.The home button is not damaged at all.

EmmaS Moderator

Thanks. :smileyhappy:

Can you check that the software and all your apps are up to date? 

Software update can be done by going to Settings > About Device > Software Update > Update Now. You can check for app updates by heading to the Play Store > Settings > My Apps and Games > Update All. 

Apprentice

Everything is updated yes.

EmmaS Moderator

Can you try removing the fingerprint and re-adding it? Head to Lock Screen and Security > Fingerprints > Manage Fingerprint > Edit > Select > Remove. 

EmmaS

Apprentice

I can't ,as long as I hit Fingerprints it says fingerprint scanner error.So I can't access the fingerprints menu.

EmmaS Moderator

At this point, we'd recommend carrying out a factory reset on your phone. This will erase all data, so be sure to back up! You can back up your data via Smart Switch.

Try your fingerprint scanner after this, if it still doesn't work, one of our engineers will be able to help you out with this. Check out this link for our Service Locator!

First Poster
I've done this reset thing and nothing change because I have the same problen
First Poster

Top Liked Authors