Support

Open search

Galaxy Note 9 Region lock and samsung pay lock

Observer

Hi, 

I've got a note 9 (sm-n960f) as a gift and it was bought in the United Arab Emirates. the phone is unlocked and I can make phone calls and everything. but I cannot set up Samsung pay because asks for UAE bank cards,  I live in Albania. 

3 REPLIES
Superuser I
Superuser I

Unfortunately that's the problem of buying a phone that's not meant for your own country @Arbergj

I had the same issue a while back when I wanted the Samsung Note Fe but it wasn't released for the UK so I was going to import it.

However after some investigation i soon realised from other people who did buy it that features such as Samsung Pay wouldn't possibly work as you've now come to realise.

There's nothing that Samsung can do I'm afraid.

Can you use Google Pay as an alternative and see if that works.

The only alternatives I can think of are....

1. Sell the phone and use the funds to buy one released for your country if Samsung Pay is vitally important to you. 

2. Consider learning about Custom Roms from the site called xdadevelopers.

Disclaimer > performing this procedure is completely at your own discretion and informed choice and wouldn't guarantee that Samsung Pay would then work.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Superuser I
Superuser I
Samsung pay is unfortunately based on a country by country level and the standards are used by the country where you bought it. Some countries (Like mine) can't use it either because: Banks have to allow it (And Samsung wants it for quite some time ), I dare to bet that the negotiations haven't been a succes yet.

This is the downside of "gray importing". It effectively means that your phone will be complaint with the standards of the UAE instead of Albania because its purchased there.
Superuser I
Superuser I

Such a shame too @SjorsK as I really liked the Samsung Note Fe. :(

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Top Liked Authors