Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy A3 (2017) destroyed by car charger ?

(Topic created on: 11-07-2018 05:56 PM)
Colin9
Explorer
Options

First post here so apologies if this is a stupid question (and a bit lengthy) !

Bought a new A3 (2017) a few months ago. It was great to start with, but within a few days it was showing serious battery problems, it would go from 100% to zero in a couple of hours which made it practically unusable. Retailer replaced it under a 30-day no-quibble guarantee, and the replacement has been fine.

Was I just unlucky with the first one or did I inadvertently damage it ? The thing is I recall charging it in my car using an adapter in the 12V socket and I first noticed the battery problem soon after doing that. I’ve only charged the replacement in the car from a USB socket and it’s been fine (although a bit slow in charging). So is it possible for a “dirty” power supply to damage a phone ? Maybe a spike of current or voltage when the engine is started, noting that the stop-start system means the car is constantly stopping and restarting ? I’m surprised the phone doesn’t have some sort of protection against that sort of damage ?

If I did accidentally fry it, does the forum have any advice about what sort of car adaptor to use to avoid it happening again ? I see some adaptors are advertised with various sorts of protection, is that what I need ? Or is it safer to just use the slower USB socket, which is presumably a “cleaner” supply ?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

It is possible that the 3rd party charger caused the issue. 

That said it's also possible the first phone was a lemon. 

It might be an idea to search for forums of people that drive your model of car and ask what charger they use. 

In my own personal preference I always choose original Oem accessories. 

There might be a charger option on the Samsung Online Store or in a Samsung Experience Store if you have them in your country. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Colin9
Explorer
Options

Thanks BandOfBrothers, useful advice.

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You're very welcome @Colin9

Take care.  :smiling-face:

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "