Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Change samsung pay location

(Topic created on: 25-09-2017 05:37 AM)
Mike16
First Poster
Options

I bought my phone in HK but I live in the UK and want to change the base to UK but don't know how. Help would be appreciated 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
HJ_Beans
First Poster
Options

I'm also having the exact same issue, I spoke to both Samsung and Samsung pay, the advisor at Samsung said that due to the way the app works it will only work in the region within the device was purchased. This can be overridden if the phone is re-flashed and has the UK firmware installed on it, you may also notice your software updates are HK updates. This shouldn't impact any other features of the phone is my understanding so far. 

Samsung can re-flash the phone but due to the warranty only being in China / HK the UK support won't touch it as it is a different SKU from what they sell (basically it has the snapdragon processor). I believe they can reflash in Hong Kong if you go back out there which would then unlock these features (and lose all your data so back up). As far as i'm aware the snapdragon processor varient hasn't been rooted yet by independent developers so I've not seen anyone in the UK resolve this issue without Samsung support. 

In terms of the level of extent you want to go to to solve this issue is where i'm at. Samsung pay doesn't actually support my bank yet and Google pay works very well in the UK as most of our shop terminals support standard contactless. Potentially in a year or two once the functionality has improved it might be more attractive. If you travel back out there again then speak to Samsung HK support and see if you can schedule it while you're out there, or mail it to them... 

View solution in context

60 REPLIES 60
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hello @Mike16

I’ve read and seen on YouTube that people have issues with getting Samsung Pay to work on imported phone models due to the Software / Firmware on them. 

This is one element that stopped me from importing a Samsung Note Fe phone. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Solution
HJ_Beans
First Poster
Options

I'm also having the exact same issue, I spoke to both Samsung and Samsung pay, the advisor at Samsung said that due to the way the app works it will only work in the region within the device was purchased. This can be overridden if the phone is re-flashed and has the UK firmware installed on it, you may also notice your software updates are HK updates. This shouldn't impact any other features of the phone is my understanding so far. 

Samsung can re-flash the phone but due to the warranty only being in China / HK the UK support won't touch it as it is a different SKU from what they sell (basically it has the snapdragon processor). I believe they can reflash in Hong Kong if you go back out there which would then unlock these features (and lose all your data so back up). As far as i'm aware the snapdragon processor varient hasn't been rooted yet by independent developers so I've not seen anyone in the UK resolve this issue without Samsung support. 

In terms of the level of extent you want to go to to solve this issue is where i'm at. Samsung pay doesn't actually support my bank yet and Google pay works very well in the UK as most of our shop terminals support standard contactless. Potentially in a year or two once the functionality has improved it might be more attractive. If you travel back out there again then speak to Samsung HK support and see if you can schedule it while you're out there, or mail it to them... 

leonardobissoli
Student
Options
I gave up to try to use Samsung Pay really. I just use Google Pay and I will buy a smart watch that supports Google Pay as well. A lot of banks at least here where I live are going to Google Pay / Apple Pay. Samsung should making this far from better if they want to keep this alive.
Xessive
Journeyman
Options
I have a Galaxy Note 9 from Australia and I live in the UAE. The Samsung Pay shows only Australian content.

I flashed the device with the official UAE firmware (XSG). Samsung Pay works with my UAE cards and has no issues processing payments in local shops. It just keeps showing Australian ads and offers that don't apply to the UAE.
Maty0
Student
Options

The easiest way is to go to sammobile.com and reflash your fone with the new firmware for the new country (not as scary as it seems, loads of guides on the website for what firmware version etc). Id recommend downloading phone info from the app store to tell you what version etc you have right now. I bought my s7 in UAE but moved back to the UK so i just flashed on the uk firmware and your samsung pay will change country automatically.

Downside is you gotta reformat the fone so do all the backups etc first. Whole install process took maybe 15 to 20 mins?. Id recommend using a laptop or pc rather than doing it directly on the phone but you can do it that way of you dont have access to a pc. 

Also, ended up being pointless for me in the end because natwest (my main UK bank) dosent suport samsung pay so do check your banks supported before you do anything.

A good upside is i have a uk firmware s7 that supports dual sim which you couldent get initially. (Not sure if the duo version came out in the uk eventually or not) 

But yeh all in all no complaints other than lack of samsung pay support from banks in the UK. 

Motty2012
Pathfinder
Options

My phone is from the UAE and I am in the UK. At first Samsung pay wouldn't run but all I did was clear the app data and relaunched the app. It works 100% fine. No need to flash firmware or any other complicated solutions.  Not even a factory reset.

Xessive
Journeyman
Options

I just updated my Note 9 to Android Pie (UAE release) and now Samsung Pay doesn't work at all.

It says it's "coming soon." 

I've attached a screenshot. Screenshot_20190114-194628_Samsung Pay.jpg

0 Likes
AmrK702
Student
Options

Hello...

I want to know if i buy a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 from UAE which preloaded with Samsung Pay app, can i use the app in Egypt with HSBC Bank ? ,knowing that Samsung Pay not supported in Egypt.

0 Likes
AmrK702
Student
Options
Hello...

I want to know if i buy a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 from UAE which preloaded with Samsung Pay app, can i use the app in Egypt with HSBC Bank ? ,knowing that Samsung Pay not supported in Egypt.
0 Likes