Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

First Poster

What a huge dissapointment this whole thing is. I mean, 55 million people bought the S7 or S7 Edge. I don't know if all s7 users are effected by this bug, but considering the amount of people that have responded to this thread I assume it's a large number.

As of this moment, I don't have much faith in a fix coming anytime soon given the responses by Samsung staff.

First Poster

Same here, cell stanby battery leak apearred after updating to oreo, cell standby (célula en espera in the screenshot) always using more battery than screen.

In Nougat I used to charge my phone only before going to sleep, now I have to plug it at work, and then again at home. That really sucks!! Please Samsung, provide a quick fix!

S7 edge, G935FD

cell standby.jpg

I'm so glad to have found this thread because I thought I was crazy. I've tried deleting new apps and optimizing, limiting background usage, etc. Even in safe mode, tha battery drains like crazy. Please Samsung, do something about this. I just finished paying this phone off!

Explorer

Wow, this was what I was afraid of when I got my OTA notification. I've been postponing the update to learn more about potential issues after upgrade, since my last phone (a5 2016) had major issues after upgrading to Android 7.

No way I'm gonna upgrade after this, I plan to root and disable the software update app to remove the annoying notification.

Observer

i was facing the same issue after oreo update in my galaxy S7 Indian version. the main cause of battery drain was "cell standby" it was taking so much of my battery. In ideal condition it was taking 2-4% of my battery in 1 hour and also i was getting 5 min screen on time at 1% of battery on video watching.(at 30% brightness). So wot i did is, i used the phone at safe mode for whole one day with 4g(LTE) on. So wot i found is it was taking 1% of my phone battery for 1 hour. So it took almost 24-30% of my battery for 24 hour without touching it on 4g.

Then next day i used my phone normal mode( without safe mode ) and it was again taking the lots of battery on ideal situation. ok enough of explaining :p

SOLUTION: Go to settings-apps-then select all third party apps and go to mobile data and untick the "allow background data" 

you have to untick the background data in each and every third party app excepted samsung own apps. in my case i only allowed facebook, fb messenger app and whatsapp for background data. and all samsung apps. 

So now I'm getting almost same battery backup as i was getting with before oreo.

now my video watching time is 6 min at 1% of battery(at 30% brightness)

and i also left my phone ideal for 10 hour with 4g(LTE) on at night with same settings and it took 10% of my phone battery. battery was at 100% and after 10 hour it was at 90%. 

So i think i explained best of my ability. ppl who are suffering with same problem try this method.

I have attached a screen shot of one app for example. 

If it works for you plz feed someone poor a meal

Reagrds

Gaurav ThakurScreenshot_20180622-171919_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180622-171926_Settings.jpg

Navigator

@GauravThakur wrote:

i was facing the same issue after oreo update in my galaxy S7 Indian version. the main cause of battery drain was "cell standby" it was taking so much of my battery. In ideal condition it was taking 2-4% of my battery in 1 hour and also i was getting 5 min screen on time at 1% of battery on video watching.(at 30% brightness). So wot i did is, i used the phone at safe mode for whole one day with 4g(LTE) on. So wot i found is it was taking 1% of my phone battery for 1 hour. So it took almost 24-30% of my battery for 24 hour without touching it on 4g.

Then next day i used my phone normal mode( without safe mode ) and it was again taking the lots of battery on ideal situation. ok enough of explaining :p

SOLUTION: Go to settings-apps-then select all third party apps and go to mobile data and untick the "allow background data" 

you have to untick the background data in each and every third party app excepted samsung own apps. in my case i only allowed facebook, fb messenger app and whatsapp for background data. and all samsung apps. 

So now I'm getting almost same battery backup as i was getting with before oreo.

now my video watching time is 6 min at 1% of battery(at 30% brightness)

and i also left my phone ideal for 10 hour with 4g(LTE) on at night with same settings and it took 10% of my phone battery. battery was at 100% and after 10 hour it was at 90%. 

So i think i explained best of my ability. ppl who are suffering with same problem try this method.

I have attached a screen shot of one app for example. 

If it works for you plz feed someone poor a meal

Reagrds

Gaurav ThakurScreenshot_20180622-171919_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180622-171926_Settings.jpg

This is the first thing I did when I received Oreo to all my apps, I even disabled anything I could disable in settings, I have mid power saving on and no background data allowed to any app. My S7 flat still heats for no reason when not in offline mode and cell standby battery usage is still there (so to me this solution does not work). The system must behave well independently from the user's settings as Samsung provides those options and the users have to choose if they want them to work or not, they don't have to choose if their device works well or not, also given that we are talking about a well known brand and device, so it has to work well, I think. Of course anything but cell standby consumption in this message is my personal opinion, and I think Samsung should care about a decent firmware

Apprentice

@Gaurav : I think this is the right way to go.

I just reached the same conclusion this morning, but my process is a bit different.

I went to settings -> battery -> scroll down the page to application in standby. There is an option to set apps on "permanent standby" (or something like that, I have a french version).

From here you can add each user application that do NOT need running on background (most of them in my case, except my podcast app and several other stuffs) -> HUGE improvement in battery drain. Not as good as what I got with Nougat but definitively better.

Apprentice
 wrote:

Hi guys.

I've raised this issue to our software team; and me or one of the other mods will keep you updated on any advice they give. If you're able to, please do send any error log files on this issue over to the software team via the Members app (as per the advice from LiamH) - the more info they've got on something the better.

AntS, do you have any news on this issue by chance? I know it's a pain to push things like this through the whole process because of the companies' bureaucracy. but I was wondering if you have any info.

AntS Moderator

Hi @acsicsa. No news on this issue as of yet - but we'll keep you guys posted.

Prince_Community_Sig03.jpg

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

Explorer
Guys, since the cell standby bug is related to LTE data, anything you do for limit it (turn on WiFi or 3G, put apps to sleep, limit background data etc.) will work to some extent, but this is not a solution at all. It's just workaround to alleviate the problem, to make it less prominent.

Currently if you need LTE/4G and good battery life, you can:
1. Downgrade to Nougat
2. Install custom ROM - f.e. Sac23 S9 Ported Rom for S7/S7Edge (look at XDA). Yes, on S9 cell standby bug was fixed! But it's not mean Samsung will bring this fix to S7/S8 too...
Top Liked Authors