Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

First Poster

I solved it by performing these 2 steps:

Step 1 (soft reset):
- Press and hold the Power and Volume Down button simultaneously until the screen turns off.
- The device will reboot automatically. You will soon see the Samsung logo. If not, just press and hold the power button.

Step 2 (clear device cache):
- Turn off the Galaxy S7, and then press and hold the Volume Up, Bixby, and Power button simultaneously.
- On the Android recovery screen, use the Volume Down button to navigate down to wipe cache partition and press the Power button to select it.
- Use the Volume Down button to select Yes — delete all user data, and then press the Power button to confirm.
- Wait for the reset to finish and press the Power button when prompted with the message to Reboot system now.

After these two steps the battery drain issues were over.

Explorer

Ok, got the update more than a week ago, and as everyone here, huge cell standby battery drain oy my S7.

It maybe a wrong display as Samsung pretends, but now I can't barely get 1h30 screen on time with 4g enabled. With Oreo I was around 3h SOT. Even if it's a wrong display, something's wrong.

I tried :

1 : Wipe Data / Cache

2 : Complete Factory Reset

Nothing works, still huge battery drains, barely using any app right now. Some say it's because of VOLTE, in my case my carrier doesn't support it, so I'm not using it, and I barely called anyone. A guy on a different forum try mixing up fimwares and ended up using the nougat firmware for the modem part, and Oreo for everything else, and it seems his battery is much better.

Update comes very late, and is messed up. Last samsung phone for me, too bad since the hardware is great, but it seems Android is still a huge problem for Samsung after all these years.

Apprentice

Hi Guys,

Same issue here (cell standby battery consumption hugely increased) on 2 different samsung phones following official upgrade to Oreo : samsung A5 2017 (SM-520F) and samsung S7 (SM-930F).

Factory reset did not improve anything on both phones.

Autonomy is roughtly decreased by 20% on A5 and 30% on S7 (A5 autonomy is better on A5 compared with S7).

It obviously is an issue coming from the Oreo firmware which affects different Samsung galaxy phone models.

Apprentice

@Rick80 wrote:

I solved it by performing these 2 steps:

Step 1 (soft reset):
- Press and hold the Power and Volume Down button simultaneously until the screen turns off.
- The device will reboot automatically. You will soon see the Samsung logo. If not, just press and hold the power button.

Step 2 (clear device cache):
- Turn off the Galaxy S7, and then press and hold the Volume Up, Bixby, and Power button simultaneously.
- On the Android recovery screen, use the Volume Down button to navigate down to wipe cache partition and press the Power button to select it.
- Use the Volume Down button to select Yes — delete all user data, and then press the Power button to confirm.
- Wait for the reset to finish and press the Power button when prompted with the message to Reboot system now.

After these two steps the battery drain issues were over.

I tried it several times, and not solves... the battery drain "cell standby" keeps draining... :(

let's make this topic come to all and samsung engineers.

Apprentice

@Franky5 wrote:

For those that don't find a solution, turning on Power Saving and turning off Background Network Usage seemed to work to me, the problem is that it only lasts about a day and then it happens again, but Cell Standby did dropped to 3%. 

Another thing I tried was to go to developer options (By clicking several times on build version, in software information) and changing the Background Process Limit, I set it to 3, that also worked to me, as of now it is working, but lets see ehat happens tomorrow, I hope that works, and in case it doesn't, then I hope this bug gets fixed soon. It is quite annoying to lose 1% every 1 to 2 minutes and having to charge the phone again and again due to a dumb bug

I am already using the option on Power Saving and turning off Background Network, and the cell standby continues, for example, I now have 2 hours on the battery and the cell standby is at 2% .Sure I think now it is less aggressive in the drainage, but to be continued.
I just took the second step and I will observe during the day. then I come back here and find out if it worked.  I made the process limit in background to 3 like you.

Please keep us informed of your results as well.

Observer

I had the update message for a few days and I keep postponing until I can read a bit about experinces with Oreo in S7. The update message was bothering me and I eventually decide to risk it and upde the phone. Why on earth I cannot learn to listen to myself. Now Im stuck with a heater in my pocket draning battery like crazy. Great... 

Apprentice

I'm walking in the same shoes.  My problems started after installing the April patch. Cell standby drain on my S7 flat is 40% plus.  Actually I can't even use it as my daily driver like this as I would need to keep it on the charger whole day. I've been using this phone for 2 years now. Honestly I don't want to blame anyone but this is an ultimate fail. I'm not even mad, I'm just sitting here and laughing how incapable Samsung is to help their customers.

First Poster

glad I'm not the only one. I tried all of the above, non of it helped. I hope this is not a marketing stunt; updating your phone to make your battery worse to force you to buy a new one. I really enjoy my s7 edge, until the Oreo update...

Apprentice

@acsicsa wrote:

I'm walking in the same shoes.  My problems started after installing the April patch. Cell standby drain on my S7 flat is 40% plus.  Actually I can't even use it as my daily driver like this as I would need to keep it on the charger whole day. I've been using this phone for 2 years now. Honestly I don't want to blame anyone but this is an ultimate fail. I'm not even mad, I'm just sitting here and laughing how incapable Samsung is to help their customers.

Like me, the problems started when I update with the april patch. 

before I updated with the April patch, the cell standby indicator did not even appear on the screen, ie it did not consume even 1%.

I'm doing other tests here, but it seems that in my case, the solution is to reset with the factory settings, and not update mine with the April patch

Navigator
Thanks for reminding me about another issue which came after Oreo update
In addition to famous "cell standby battery drain" I have also noticed that phone is heating more than before on Nougat. Actually S7 Edge WAS first phone for me which doesn't heat in normal daily use. After Oreo update Samsung has "fixed" this also. Now phone is heating even in average use (same use as before on Nougat) without playing games etc.
Top Liked Authors