Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

First Poster

Yeah, the report function of members app is great but the only result of the serial reports are automatic answers.

Sad but Samsung team does nothing.

I wanted to send a normal e-mail to samsung hungary but the normal e mail but this oppurtinity ceased.

The whole thing is a bad joke.

Since then I did a factory reset, and dalvik wipe, but I still have the peoblem.

My screen time is approx. half as before (on Nougat)

And since then I spotted an audio bug(probably driver): -Sometimes the audioplayback on the Phone's speaker is teard, and has a weird echo, like a bad sound effect.

I was looking for a lot for the possible solution, but the most of tips are "hanky-panky", not real helps.

At the moment the only way is the downgrade, or one more thing what i've find this thread:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/how-to/oreo-8-battery-drain-fixed-vol-lte-t3799782

I have not tried but I think that will be the next step.

In my opinion in case like we have this is not an illegal software modification.

As I read this method does not effect the knox trigger or the device status.

And if Samsung does nothing we must and we do.

Navigator

Someone of them who flashed CP and CSC files from Nougat over Oreo are reporting that they are experiencing same cell standby battery drain issue. One of the tread's member said the issue is probably related to modem (CP) and (CSC) even in Nougat ROMs depending on regions.
In my case battery drainage came after updating to Oreo (official for NEE region) when CP and CSC was also updated. Nougat (official for NEE region) was working fine.

Explorer

I think that the problem isn't the modem. It's a software problem of the implementation of Android Oreo by Samsung. The bug is only present in Oreo, every day! If you use mobile data (happens with 3G too), you can be affected by this bug. I've reported the bug on Samsung Members, but again, the anwser is always a generic message based on a list of step by step that employees of Samsung send to us based on known problems. If the problem is not registered, the answer will always be the same, "send your device to our technicians to be investigated". It's not a hardware problem, it's a software problem with the latest software! This is not a solution. Come on Samsung!

First Poster

I'm also having the same issue. Updated my S7 Edge to Oreo and now losing 25% battery to Cell standby every day. Clearly this is a widespread issue, Samsung please help.

First Poster

@Seba891 wrote:

Experience the same issue. My phone is 2 monts old!!! The problems started directely after update. I bought the edge version for its battery life. I will never update the OS without reading all the opinions first. The worst thing is that feom what you describe Samsung does not want to acknowledge the problem :

@James0071 wrote:

Yes I've noticed that it is all about being on cellular network, particularly where there is a bad signal.

How did you find the process of returning to Nougat; where did you get the instructions, was it reliable and did it take a long time?

I also contacted Samsung support and they were next to useless. They were adamant that it is must be something to do with the phone. They didn't seem to understand or accept the fact that the change was a direct result of the software update. They even said they'd inspect the phone but if there wasn't anything wrong with it there would most likely be a cost to me. A dose of my experience/cynicism says that they're not going to do anything about this problem. I hope I'm wrong on this.

(

@Seba891 wrote:

Experience the same issue. My phone is 2 monts old!!! The problems started directely after update. I bought the edge version for its battery life. I will never update the OS without reading all the opinions first. The worst thing is that feom what you describe Samsung does not want to acknowledge the problem :

@James0071 wrote:

Yes I've noticed that it is all about being on cellular network, particularly where there is a bad signal.

How did you find the process of returning to Nougat; where did you get the instructions, was it reliable and did it take a long time?

I also contacted Samsung support and they were next to useless. They were adamant that it is must be something to do with the phone. They didn't seem to understand or accept the fact that the change was a direct result of the software update. They even said they'd inspect the phone but if there wasn't anything wrong with it there would most likely be a cost to me. A dose of my experience/cynicism says that they're not going to do anything about this problem. I hope I'm wrong on this.

(

Same issue here cell standby drain was thinking of doing a factory reset untill i saw this thread ..

Samsung please help!

S7 for me was one of the best phones till now even though the battery life was just average ..

But now after oreo update its gone downhill!!!

First Poster

I have been experiencing the same problem as all the people above. No amount of the proposed "solutions" has helped, except downgrading to nougat which I have not yet tried. I hope Samsung comes up with something, as the battery drain even overnight with data and Wifi off is severe.

Apprentice

One way to make the phone use less battery that does work (no fix) is to download BK Disabler and disable every app/service on the phone you do not use and need. This will actually make a noticable difference, even with the bug we are experiencing. 

Be sure you know what you disable though.

Apprentice

What also helps is turning off phone completely...

First Poster

:smileylol:

I have the same issue and I agree, the only way is downgrade or turn off the phone ahah.

Even on "plane mode"  "mode avion" in french and don't know how to say it in english...

On night, with no network or connections at all and in sleep mode, battery lost between 20 and 30% so I don't think the problem is caused by the network's stuffs...

Sry for my english, not my birth language ;-)

Apprentice

I bought my cell phone 3 months ago, and a few days ago I did the update for the Oreo version. I made the update via odin using the original UK rom. At first, everything was perfect, but after approximately 1 to 2 hours later, I was asked to perform the Firmare update for the april 1 version (I mentioned that my device when the Oreo was already installed in the security patch) . I performed the April 1 security update and then ... surprise .... the standy cell process started draining my battery with full force. I'm thinking of resetting the factory, but when I request the security update, I do not do it, and I'll postpone it by selecting the option to later. So far, this is the only way I found to get away from the standby cell

Top Liked Authors