Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Explorer

@AliTheMan wrote:

Any news on the problem? did anyone figure out something?

Nope man, it sucks big time. I flashed the latest firmware via odin, problem remains. The only hope for those who upgarded to the latest oreo bootloader (cause they cannot go back to nougat which bootloader is of a previous version) is the faint hope that Samsung will fix it in the future patches/updates. Sigh. The worst part is that I didn't find any decent custom rom to go for. I'm stunningly disappointed.

Apprentice

Man this sucks. I never expected Samsung to mess up so many batteries with one update. I'm sure so many people like their phones and the fanbase is very loyal. Samsung better fix this issue or they will start loosing many customers. LinusTechTips himself made a video addressing the same issue, but this time on the Samsung s9. I never thought about buying a different phone, but I'm seriously considering switching to a different brand especially when phones like the new pocophone only costs $300 and have an all day battery life!

Explorer
May sound like a dumb question, but if you have only the first oreo update is this also the latest bootloader? I am in UK and have only the first oreo update and would like to downgrade if possible.

BTW I'm done with Samsung. Selling units seems to be their only priority and I want a phone that lasts properly for a minimum of two years. They don't seem interested in this seemingly reasonable request.
Explorer

@James0071 wrote:
May sound like a dumb question, but if you have only the first oreo update is this also the latest bootloader? I am in UK and have only the first oreo update and would like to downgrade if possible.

BTW I'm done with Samsung. Selling units seems to be their only priority and I want a phone that lasts properly for a minimum of two years. They don't seem interested in this seemingly reasonable request.

Absolutely not a dumb question and you might still be able go back to the sunshiny nougat. Go to software information in about phone settings, check the build number. Counting from the end of it, the fifth position is the bootloader number. If it is 3, congrats, you can flash any nougat with the same number. If it's 4, you're stuck like the most of us. 

Apprentice
Mine says it is version 2
Explorer
@Rockchagin, thanks for your help on this!

As it happens mine is 2, ie. not even up to 3 yet. Can I match with a 2 bootloader then?
Explorer
Highlighted
Explorer
@AntS haven't heard much from you recently. It's clear the news is travelling fast about this update disaster. Just look how many pages of disgruntled people there are! As a moderator perhaps you need to tell the big chiefs at friendly Samsung hq. Unfortunately bad news travels quicker than good news... and as you can see from above post there are even problems on the latest flagship device...
Explorer

@James0071 wrote:
@Rockchagin, thanks for your help on this!

As it happens mine is 2, ie. not even up to 3 yet. Can I match with a 2 bootloader then?

Yes, you can. The nougat bootloader can be 3 or 2, former being the most recent.  Download the nougat firware with BL 2 matching your phone's region and flash with odin, look for the howto on xda, good luck. 

Apprentice
I'm going to wait for the next update. If it doesn't fix the problem, then I will switch back to Nouget. Thanks for the help @Rockchagin
Top Liked Authors