Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

First Poster

I'm curious why both roms have the same changelist?

I mean 

G930FXXU2ERH1 - 13895453

G930FXXU2ERGE - 13895453

Apprentice

@AlfS41 wrote:

According to Sammobile in some european countries there is a new S7 firmware: G930FXXU2ERH1 with august security level patch.

In this website you can find changelist of this update: https://www.androidinfotech.com/2018/08/samsung-galaxy-s7-sm-g930f-august-2018-ota.html  In the second half of the list you can find "Battery drain issue Fixed."  Has anyone tried this update yet?

as we can see how Samsung is non-organized in support, feedbacks and patch issues, it is unbelievable that this firmware includes improvement adjacent to our forum discussion, it is something else. Otherwise, why Samsung software team asked through moderator to send them system logs and statistics printscreens if they already had that patch in their hands under development, they could just say that the problem was known and they just need additional data from a thousand of devices to be more precise in software revision?

Apprentice

I have been using AP_G930FXXS2ERH6 (BTU) since 8/16.  I haven't noticed a battery problem (though I have all of the Samsung apps disabled, I use Greenify, and I'm often in flight mode, with only WiFi enabled, so it isn't necessarily a thorough test).

I have, however, had several random reboots, and that is a problem.

Navigator

@Droiderat wrote:

I have been using AP_G930FXXS2ERH6 (BTU) since 8/16.  I haven't noticed a battery problem (though I have all of the Samsung apps disabled, I use Greenify, and I'm often in flight mode, with only WiFi enabled, so it isn't necessarily a thorough test).

Don't you think that you have these reboots because of using Greenify/disabling something that you shouldn't?

And yes, you can't say anything about battery life because of the way you are using your phone. Flight mode + Wi-Fi is not the issue which we are all facing here. The issue is with 4G or etc. Actually I can say that for me the issue is not even while phone is in idle. My phone drains only 3-7 % over night (~7-8h) AOD OFF, WIFI ON (I have also disabled "Mobile data always on" under "Developer's settings" to have mobile data off while phone is connected to Wi-Fi). Though I need to test drainage over night with 4G ON.

My issue is that battery is melting very quickly in basic use like browsing internet on WiFi etc. Before Oreo update (on Nougat) I used only 4G (WiFi was always OFF except that positioning used WiFi radio in background). Now I have even worse battery life on WiFi with Oreo than I had on 4G with Nougat :(

Apprentice

@SmashMix wrote:

@Droiderat wrote:

Don't you think that you have these reboots because of using Greenify/disabling something that you shouldn't?

And yes, you can't say anything about battery life because of the way you are using your phone. Flight mode + Wi-Fi is not the issue which we are all facing here. The issue is with 4G or etc. Actually I can say that for me the issue is not even while phone is in idle. My phone drains only 3-7 % over night (~7-8h) AOD OFF, WIFI ON (I have also disabled "Mobile data always on" under "Developer's settings" to have mobile data off while phone is connected to Wi-Fi). Though I need to test drainage over night with 4G ON.

My issue is that battery is melting very quickly in basic use like browsing internet on WiFi etc. Before Oreo update (on Nougat) I used only 4G (WiFi was always OFF except that positioning used WiFi radio in background). Now I have even worse battery life on WiFi with Oreo than I had on 4G with Nougat :(

No, the random reboots have nothing to do with Greenify (or "disabling something I shouldn't").  For starters, I'm not a noob; I know what I'm doing.  I mentioned Greenify and disabling apps because IMO, it could *reduce* my battery usage, in ways not experienced by others in this forum.

Random reboots have never been a problem for me prior to ERH6.  Further, a well-known kernel developer posted yesterday (in xda) that there are stability/reboot problems in recent S7 builds (he singled out ERG2 as having "massive problems").

As for battery efficiency, I'm not always in flight mode (but with WiFi on); only at home.  When I'm out-and-about, I'm on 4G or WiFi, depending upon location.  I'm not seeing any unusual battery usage.  I monitor with the built-in apps, AccuBattery and BetterBatteryStats.  My battery has 81% of it's original power (according to AccuBattery), and I still have over 5 hours of available screen-on time.  At one time "cell standby" was a significant percentage of my battery usage; no more (and the percentage used hasn't been simply shifted to another app).

Navigator
Hi all, is there someone more that got the august security patches? Some say it brings no improvements or significant changes at all, here still getting too much heat for nothing
Explorer

@Carolll wrote:
Hi all, is there someone more that got the august security patches? Some say it brings no improvements or significant changes at all, here still getting too much heat for nothing

I've got August security patches, but there is no improvement. I have no problems with battery when phone is idle, but as soon as I start using it, battery goes down at huge rate with no apparent reason. I have two identical phones with exactly the same issue. Both were running Oreo with no problems until firmware update released at the end of July. I'm at the edge of patience. I submitted logs via Samsung Members, but I keep getting reply advising me to take both phones to the nearest Samsung Center which is 50 miles away from me. They probably don't even bother forwarding my logs to developers for analysis. Typical customer support. I'm not going to buy Samsung phone again.

Explorer

Same here, august update since thursday, battery still drains like Nasa is running their simulations on my phone. No improvement at all so far. It may be even worse.

Highlighted
Explorer

For that reason I've turned off notifications of updates indefinitely. I really hope Samsung will sort this battery business out eventually.... 

First Poster

I was facing the same issue, but I guess with the recent security patch update of aug via developer open source it's working fine.

Regards,

Zogakuf https://putlocker.ooo/
https://viamichelin.onl/
https://googleearth.onl/

Top Liked Authors