Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

ChrisM Moderator

Hi @Alex130.

Did you receive an acknowledgement back from our Members Team?

Explorer

@James0071 wrote:

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

I have had the same probkem with my S7. Battery drain during idle was really bad etc. 

Yesterday, I came across "VoLTE" option under Settings -- Connections -- Mobile Networks. I didn't remember having it before hence I disabled it. My idle battery drain is back to normal. However, the phone still consumes much more energy during use. For example, 40 min of web browsing and few minutes of YouTube on WiFi drained 10%. This was not the case before recent updates. It seems they messed something up with radios. I submitted logs via Samsung Members. Let's see what happens. 

Explorer

This thread used to be really active before the July updates, since then its died a death, I can only assume its fixed the issue for most people. For me the updates did ***** all.  

Navigator

Hi,

I didn't ugrade to oreo necause of that until July update.

I have upgraded to Oreo directly to July Update with new modem and I do not have any issues . Battery life is quite similar to Nougat for me. 

Regards 

Oliver

Explorer

@dj1891 wrote:

This thread used to be really active before the July updates, since then its died a death, I can only assume its fixed the issue for most people. For me the updates did ***** all.  

There are few reasons:

1. It's summer )

2. We already tried almost everything we can do without rooting, with attempts to collect data and reach Samsung support. @AntS promised to keep us with the news from software team, this was month ago

3. Rooting and installing different kernel or custom ROM is beyond scope of this forum

4. Not all people have this bug. Perhaps it's depend from the mobile operator network too

5. Not all people with bug realize it because many use WiFi mainly instead of 4G

6. After recent updates "Cell standby" in battery stats is covered by Android system etc

PS. For me ERGE update did not solve problem

Navigator

@VSiam wrote:

@dj1891 wrote:

There are few reasons:

1. It's summer )

2. We already tried almost everything we can do without rooting, with attempts to collect data and reach Samsung support. @AntS promised to keep us with the news from software team, this was month ago

3. Rooting and installing different kernel or custom ROM is beyond scope of this forum

4. Not all people have this bug. Perhaps it's depend from the mobile operator network too

5. Not all people with bug realize it because many use WiFi mainly instead of 4G

6. After recent updates "Cell standby" in battery stats is covered by Android system etc

PS. For me ERGE update did not solve problem

Very good analysis of main reasons. Reason number "6" made me thinking about renaming this thread to something else, not only "Cell standby battery drain" or adding "Android system battery drain" and "Google Play services battery drain". This will help others to find this topic

Is @James0071 still here and active?

Highlighted
Explorer
Hi,

@SmashMix Yes James0071 is still here and active! I've been reading all the posts and a good deal of them are really helpful. Not being an expert in flashing roms etc. I've steered clear of modification so far but been really interested to see the results; so far unfortunately not there yet....

Do you think that because I started the post (thank goodness as it's been **so** much more helpful than Samsung) I can change the title? Willing to give it a try as you have made some good suggestions.

Explorer

Well, I can only confirm, what others wrote - after the latest ERGC modem update it is slightly better compared with July patch (this was a total mess), but it is still far from perfect. Now cell standby drains around 15% of my battery, but the rest is taken by Google Play Services (30%). So, Samsung do something or get lost.

Apprentice
I am using a super active on attending I don't see that setting, or am I blind
Explorer

I got updated to ERGE on Poland XEO and it seems quite fair on day with only LTE. I just haven't seen device idle before with more than 1-2% - here we see 6% - have you noticed it? In my location with quite bad signal strength I typically have 4-5h of SOT on Nougat, right now phone isn't heating so it's not really disaster. GSAM shows that mvp on battery eaters from apps is kernel with lots of kworker, is it OK?

Screenshot_20180812-165030_Settings.jpgink.png

Top Liked Authors