Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Navigator

@Xsever wrote:

Here's my experience from yesterday which will burst a lot of bubbles here.

Up until yesterday, I was running Nougat on my S7 Flat without any battery drain or problem. I wanted to update to Oreo, but after reading all the horror stories here, I definitely did not update via OTA.

Instead, I downloaded a stock ROM from XDA called DevBase v5.8 (Oreo 8.0) and flashed it along with bootloader U2ERF6 and modem U2EREO. Since then, I've been enjoying an awesome Oreo experience without any battery drain at all. In fact, battery drain is better than Nougat. At night with wifi ON and AOD off, Nougat used to consume 0.7%/h, with Oreo, it's 0.6%/h.

So the moral of the story is that a developer on xda is able to do a better job than Samsung's entire department; and quicker! Sorry but this is the plain naked truth.

Are all Samsung apps (Pay, Health, Pass) still working with this custom ROM?

Explorer
Are all Samsung apps (Pay, Health, Pass) still working with this custom ROM?

I only use Health out of the ones you mentioned and yes it's working perfectly fine. It's a stock ROM with a stock kernel, but debloated.

ROM Features:

- Odexed (original stock files) + stock kernel
- Multi CSC (list of natively supported CSC as above) (*)
- Removed SecurityLogAgent.apk (annoying on rooted phones)
- Rooted systemlessly (Magisk v16.5 or SuperSU 2.82 SR5) (*)
- All original features are present and works (except KNOX related apps)
- Added "App Lock" feature (Settings -> Advanced features)
- No visual changes (100% stock look)

Apprentice

@Xsever wrote:

I downloaded a stock ROM from XDA called DevBase v5.8 (Oreo 8.0) and flashed it along with bootloader U2ERF6 and modem U2EREO. Since then, I've been enjoying an awesome Oreo experience without any battery drain at all. In fact, battery drain is better than Nougat. At night with wifi ON and AOD off, Nougat used to consume 0.7%/h, with Oreo, it's 0.6%/h.

The problem discussed in this thread isn't manifesting at night, while connected to WiFi (w/ or w/o AOD).  The issue is battery drain while connected to 4G.

So, when you have a week of experience with your experiment, while connected to 4G, please update your report.

Navigator

Screenshot_20180719-190812_Samsung Members.jpg

Hi all, so lately I've been sending reports to Samsung and while I was kind of kidding about my old SIII neo I talked about S7 too.

What a coincidence, Samsung help center employee definitely, clearly, explicitly told me that Samsung HAS NOT ACKNOWLEDGED the standby cell issue. As they claim, heating (and related battery drain) are just normal and I have to send my phone to an assistance center. 

My reply was that they could be sued for planned obsolecence.

Here I link the screenshot from Samsung members app. I'm sorry that's written in Italian, you can translate it with Google translator etc, I already told in this post what it means. 

I hope this all will change soon, I'll try to keep you updated. Meanwhile a new firmware with July security patches is out.

Highlighted
Explorer
Thanks for that, confirms my suspicions about Samsung, basically denying facts because it doesn't suit them.

I presume that this help desk service was giving you information that they had from a central database rather than just making stuff up to tell you. Can you confirm?

I have a feeling that if this whole fiasco gets big enough and Samsung don't tackle it, it will prove breach of trust and may prove quite damaging to Samsung. A bit like their exploding battery a couple of years ago. I'm going to be looking elsewhere that's for sure.
Navigator

I think that they were just telling me what they usually say in these situations. They could have told me what they decided to say to anybody reports the standby cell issue and of course this would be much worse

UPDATE: I just checked the Samsung members app and it keeps force closing. It's the first time I open it after sending that report and this is the first time it does not work. I wouldn't like to be spreading fake news but this looks like a pretty interesting coincidence

Explorer

anybody on ee (UK) or from netherlands installed the new firmware with new security patches on the S7 ?
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7/SM-G930F/EVR/download/G930FXXU2ERG2/225743/

Explorer

@Droiderat wrote:

@Xsever

The problem discussed in this thread isn't manifesting at night, while connected to WiFi (w/ or w/o AOD).  The issue is battery drain while connected to 4G.

So, when you have a week of experience with your experiment, while connected to 4G, please update your report.

I'll report back in a week, but for the hour drive back home on LTE, there was no abnormal drain at all. It's being reported all over Telegram and xda that the new modem released today for Netherlands and UK (EE), named ERG2, solves the drain. I did not flash it yet, but I will now and report back again.

Explorer

Ah shame nothing for G935

@mite_jan wrote:

anybody on ee (UK) or from netherlands installed the new firmware with new security patches on the S7 ?
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7/SM-G930F/EVR/download/G930FXXU2ERG2/225743/

Apprentice

Bro i have managed this issue somehow, may it will help u, just follow the same step as I do. First do it soft reset(in setting) then after restarting just turn off the phone and go to recovery with keys(power volume up and and menu buttons at d same time) then clean the cache, and reset the device and again clean cache after that just hit the reboot button. Hope it will help help u but guys just follow the same pattern as i said. Thank u

Top Liked Authors