Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Navigator

@Carolll wrote:
Hi all, I just noticed a new firmware for S7 with version G930FXXU2ERF6 (for France). Is there anyone that tried to flash this to see if something has changed compared to EREM or ERE8? security patches still on April though

ERF6 has same old modem (CP is ERD6 which I have for example with my NEE ERE8 version starting from the end of may). So, using old modem they had to do some changes to BL, AP etc. if this is the fixed version of Oreo for s7/s7 edge. But as I said before, I guess, this is not fix of the bug we are so long waiting for.

First Poster

Screenshot_20180718-212458_Settings.jpgBeat this

Nugat 55h max. Now on Oreo can't beat 30h. 😑 

Explorer

@Liamm wroteScreenshot_20180718-210326.png

Screenshot_20180718-212458_Settings.jpgBeat this

Nugat 55h max. Now on Oreo can't beat 30h. 😑 

Not sure where you're getting 55hrs from but this is me on Nougat 

First Poster

I recognize the issue since updating my S7 to oreo, but it seems that I have fixed the problem for me by disabling "calling over 4G". Cell standby is still relatively high, but my phone is at 78% battery now compared to around 30% yesterday and I started both days with a fully charged phone. Phone usage was more or less the same throughout both days.

Apprentice

Today I got new reply from Samsung Members about drain: "We will make  sure it reaches the developer department".

Explorer

Nice! Makes two of us. More and more people should push this issue through Sumsung Members, forcing them to patch things up (if they cant, they will probably contact Google for this fix). 

Also dont forget to write them in few days to check how things are progressing. I'm working in software developement and this is the only way someone can achieve software fix that accurs only in certain cases or % of users.

First Poster

I am on your side.

Samsung is delaying update release for favor of "tuning" or "adding features" for more productivity, yet when they release the update, it comes with so many problems and significant performance decrease.

This is how Samsung operates now, not sure if Apple will take them to court for stealing their idea (make older phone slow and problematic like *****! So people force to buy new one)

I don't get the fact people staying at Samsung's side! R they ggettin paid or they really think Samsung is making the best phone (lets be honest they used to be tjt best, but NOT ANYMORE)

I have same issue with Oreo and I already made my decision to buy something else than Samsung...

I will live with this issue for a while and then my next phone is not Samsung... %100 sure about it.

Just came here to support your post and once again let Samsung know this is not the right approach they are taking for making profit.

Cheers!

Highlighted
Explorer

I hope you're right on this, and I'm desperately trying not to be too cynical. Some time after this thread was started a moderator also said they would make sure it went to the development department which I thought was great. I also work in software. However being sure it gets to the dev department isn't the full story; it has to be prioritised to be looked at. I'd love to think it is high in the priority list of course.... we shall see. 

Explorer

Here's my experience from yesterday which will burst a lot of bubbles here.

Up until yesterday, I was running Nougat on my S7 Flat without any battery drain or problem. I wanted to update to Oreo, but after reading all the horror stories here, I definitely did not update via OTA.

Instead, I downloaded a stock ROM from XDA called DevBase v5.8 (Oreo 8.0) and flashed it along with bootloader U2ERF6 and modem U2EREO. Since then, I've been enjoying an awesome Oreo experience without any battery drain at all. In fact, battery drain is better than Nougat. At night with wifi ON and AOD off, Nougat used to consume 0.7%/h, with Oreo, it's 0.6%/h.

So the moral of the story is that a developer on xda is able to do a better job than Samsung's entire department; and quicker! Sorry but this is the plain naked truth.

First Poster

Last time I checked, there were 24 hours in each day, and the average person sleeps for about 6 of them! Call this idea "thinking outside the box" if you will, but is it possible that users can put their phones on charge overnight? Alternatively, if this issue keeps you awake at night, perhaps you should just get rid of your phones, and go back to the good old days, when two tin cans and a piece of string would suffice?

Top Liked Authors