Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Apprentice

@TheFlyingCelt wrote:

Yes Oliver, it's just wrong statistics, which actually makes things even more complicated as the cause of battery drain remains unknown.

I upgraded to Oreo on my S7 about 3 week ago. Battery life has been fine since the upgrade. Then i happened to go into battery stats yesterday and noticed high Cell Standby (20% over the day). I can only assume this has been the case since downloading Oreo

What im getting at is similar to what your saying. I do think the Cell Standby usage isnt a true figure. Maybe its using more than on Nouget, but not enough to make a noticable difference. For the people that are having battery drain issues, it could well be something else causing it, or their particular phone setup is having issues with Oreo i dont know.

I tested it last night and lost 6% battery on wifi in 6 hours idle time, and today at work lost about 1% battery every 45 mins on 4G. Thats roughly the same battery drain as on Nouget before the high Cell Standby stats

Explorer

I downgraded to Nougat last week but was on vacation so didn't really have a chance to test.  

Back at work this week I have noticed battery life is more or less the same as on Oreo,  Yes hardly any standby drain, however, I come home with the exact same amount of battery life and my usage is the same.

Apprentice

To add to my point above, im been using reddit app a fair bit today but its not registered at all on the battery stats. So i dont think they're that accurate anyway

Highlighted
Explorer
That may be the case for you. But there are two points to be made here.

1. Is the battery drain the same as Nougat was prior to the update to Oreo?
2. Without question my phone and many others have significantly more battery drain with Oreo than before the upgrade. It's not helpful to dilute the gravity of this thread by making out that there's no issue. Clearly there is an issue and it needs to be solved.
Apprentice

@James0071 wrote:
That may be the case for you. But there are two points to be made here.

1. Is the battery drain the same as Nougat was prior to the update to Oreo?
2. Without question my phone and many others have significantly more battery drain with Oreo than before the upgrade. It's not helpful to dilute the gravity of this thread by making out that there's no issue. Clearly there is an issue and it needs to be solved.

Not sure if this was aimed at me or the other poster. I will answer anyway

1 - Battery drain seems about the same. Nothing overly noticeable anyway

2 - There clearly is an issue with what the phone displays for Cell Standy battery times. How much that actually effects battery is uncertain. Some it seems to effect worth than others. Now is that because cell standby is really using what it says it is, or is there other issues are play aswell

Explorer

@James0071 wrote:
It's not helpful to dilute the gravity of this thread by making out that there's no issue. Clearly there is an issue and it needs to be solved.

Just wanted to say the same. To all who don't have this bug, you are lucky but why you posting here and creating an illusion of staistics error? I don't care much about battery stats values - they are formal and getting more and more vague with every new Android version. We are talking about the math - real discharge rate. Some people have sharply decreased SoT time, I prefer to check idle discharge rate with the same experience - when the bug is active I have 10x discharge rate! Two weeks ago I've made an experiment with comparing logs of good sleep and bad sleep - just check it.

There are tons of post about this bug at international forums here at Samsung community and much more at Reddit, XDA and others. I'm sticking at 3G now because of this bug. I'm waiting for July security patch with hoping for fix also.

Explorer
Apprentice

@ Boblebob: you obviously don't know what you're talking about, and I find very suspect that you're saying exactly the same bu.....t than Samsung's services about this battery drain not been real. It is real, not linked to specific apps, leading to 25-30% autonomy reduction compared with nougat. And it's solved getting back to nougat, using exactly similar apps. So either you're not having this bug (good for U) or you're working for Samsung but anyway this issue is a real one. 

Apprentice

@Julien75 wrote:

@ Boblebob: you obviously don't know what you're talking about, and I find very suspect that you're saying exactly the same bu.....t than Samsung's services about this battery drain not been real. It is real, not linked to specific apps, leading to 25-30% autonomy reduction compared with nougat. And it's solved getting back to nougat, using exactly similar apps. So either you're not having this bug (good for U) or you're working for Samsung but anyway this issue is a real one. 

Firstly no i dont work for them. Secondly ive said on 2 occasions now that the battery drain is real. What im saying is its not necessarily linked to Cell Standby. If it was why are my phone, my works phone and others who have high Cell Standby in this thread not all getting huge battery drain? Im sure ive read some in here who have downgraded to Nouget, Cell Standby is back to normal but still getting drain. There is an issue somewhere clearly, bit it may not be Cell Standby causing it despite what battery stats says

Apprentice
Well issue is VERY clear with my Oreo update. Battery autonomy is clearly not as good as with Noughat. And Cell standby is using apx. 30% or more of my battery consumption. And when I disconnect mobile data cell standby disappears from the highest battery consumption. So its not as someone pointed out "statistical error".

Another short term partial solution is this (only when you have active connection to WiFi):
1. go to developer options
2. and disable "Mobile data always active"
"The feature helps improve the switching speed by not letting the internet drop while switching from WiFi to mobile data"
What it does it disconnects mobile data while on WIFI, so when your are on WIFI Cell standby drain should improve.
And this is clearly evidence that Cell standby (mobile data) is causing battery drain.

So CLEARLY it has something to do with mobile data (Cell standby) and Samsung must repair it.
Top Liked Authors