Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

First Poster

Yes, but available so far only on sammobile (slow download) unless you have premium. 

Navigator

@nado4ilhas wrote:

Can I install the latest ROM released from Hong Kong then, Fixed issue with this rom

?

I personally don't have an information about possible fix included in the latest ROM. Anyways, now we are all in same situation - Samsung doen't confirm or admit anyhow that there is an error (issue with cell standby battery drainage) in Oreo ROM and we are "forced" to find solution without their help using comunity or to wait unknown amount of time, weeks etc. for their solution.

First Poster

my samsung is model samsung s7 G930FD (no edge), modem CP_G930FXXU2EREO_CP9801855_CL13630734_QB18329617_REV00_user_low_ship.tar

in page 17 work with this cell  G930FD? Problem cellstandby issue with this modem?

AntS Moderator

Hi all.

Just a brief update: Our software teams are investigating this issue, but determining an exact cause has proven to be more challenging than expected. They're continuing to look into this until they find a cause and a solution for you - and we'll keep you posted on any news.

In the meantime, please do keep submitting your experiences here and log files via error reports through the Members app; as well as keeping your phone's software and apps updated to the latest versions.

Prince_Community_Sig03.jpg

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

Explorer

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

Just a brief update: Our software teams are investigating this issue, but determining an exact cause has proven to be more challenging than expected. They're continuing to look into this until they find a cause and a solution for you - and we'll keep you posted on any news.

In the meantime, please do keep submitting your experiences here and log files via error reports through the Members app; as well as keeping your phone's software and apps updated to the latest versions.

Well as you may have read in the previous pages, it seems it comes from the modem firmware, people flashing their modem with the latest EREO firmware from HK & Taiwan (only flashing the modem, not the other parts) seems to have seen their battery life increase quite well.

Explorer

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

I would think twice when I would want to keep my phone's software updated next time!!! If I wouldn't have kept my phone software updated NOW MY PHONE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN A WORTHLESS PIECE OF ***** WITH THE *****TIEST BATTERY EVER !!!

So DO NOT UPDATE your phone software UNTIL YOU READ CAREFULLY AND MAKE SURE THAT SAMSUNG ISN'T BRAKING YOUR PHONE AGAIN !!!

Highlighted
Explorer
Thanks AntS. I know that on a poor signal the effect is worse, like its continuously polling for something. As previously said by posters the modem must be a massive clue. Do they look at this thread?
Explorer

The nerv that Samsung has is really unbelievable! 

Everytime that their incompetent engineers are failing making the customer pay for an expensive product that is either being broken from the moment it's bought (batteries exploding) or their other incompetent software developers are braking it afterwards with software updates that nobody from Samsung cares to check before it is released ... THEY ARE ASKING US, THE CUSTOMER, TO BE PATIENT and wait until they are fixing their *****ups!!! 

Really ??? That much nerv and disconsiderance ????

Apprentice

After Flashing EREM modem and BL(which have been attached in this Forum)

Mostly used with 4G (7Hours of sleep with 4G on :  at the first percentages of battery use)

The cell standby dissapeared, but I feel it splits in two or three item; like Google play services, Android system, Android OS.

totally it feels better battery, but some Samsung apps like Health doesn't work cause of custom rom.

I attach two screen shots; after and before flashing EREM Modem (+BL) :

after:Screenshot_20180705-171604_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180625-102218_Settings.jpg

before

Explorer

@waaaly wrote:

I flashed the bootloader and modem from earlier in this thread (EREO) and this fixed the cell standby issue, but I had similar battery life overall due to Google play services battery drain.

After initial positive impression I have the same experience in my case. Yes, battery stats looks different now and Cell standby is no more major driver. But the bug with battery drain is still here - it can hit after 10h after restart or even few days but then I have discharge rate around 2.5%/h with screen off and this happens only at LTE/4G. And the battery stats now shows emphasis of Android system and Google Play services. Of course I want to test full firmware but this is it by now.

I've made an experiment using BetterBatteryStats (great app btw!) and created a dump files of 2 cases - 1 hour of good sleep (~0.3%/h discharge rate) and 1h of bad sleep (~2.5%/h) and then comparing them side by side.

What I've found? Two dumps share almost the same deep sleep, awake and doze times, same CPU states, very close apps wakelocks, network usage and alarms. But in Kernel wakelocks there are 2 very distinct things:

ssp_wake_lock: 51 in bad sleep vs 15 in good sleep
ssp_comm_wake_lock: 234 in bad sleep vs 55 in good sleep

I think these are linked to modem and modem itself is draining battery so I can't see difference in awake and CPU states numbers.

@AntS, if this is appropriate, could you please add this short report to our case at software team? Because my message to Samsung Members is still unanswered and I don't think they are listening us. We (users) want to give feedback and logs but in reality support just ended with advice to make Factory Reset and go to service center. Or silence at all.

Also in processes tab I have 2 rather big differences, but this may be due to restart:

android.hardware.sensors@1.0-service: Sys: 38s vs Sys: 2s
spi1: Sys: 23s vs 2s

@Also I have to say that my friend has the same S7 @Exynos like me, no root, he uses OTA updates only, nothing magical. And he don't has this bug - nor Cell standby at Oreo nor any battery drain at sleep. The main difference between us - we use different mobile operators, so may be different equipment from the operator side make sense too.

Top Liked Authors