Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Observer

Same problem I observed for a couple of weeks on flat S7. After turning mobile network mode To 3G/2G cell Phone standby drain battery disappeared! So the isue with LTE only and only on S7 oreo. S8 and S9 seems To work well on LTE. 

Observer

Same problem I observed for a couple of weeks on flat S7. After turning mobile network mode To 3G/2G cell Phone standby drain battery disappeared! So the isue with LTE only and only on S7 oreo. S8 and S9 seems To work well on LTE. 

Explorer

Disagree. I met this problem also using 3G. It takes me more battery on 3G without Aod than on lte with aod lol. Samsung, are you still alive? We're awaiting for fix. 

Navigator

@Fatty wrote:

Here on S7 flat I've always avoided LTE on Nougat too, when upgraded to Oreo I kept avoiding LTE even without knowing about the standby cell issue. Then I noticed the already mentioned issue but I hadn't activate LTE so (at least here) it's a general network issue :( it does not seem to affect WiFi that much but watching YouTube at 720p without heating still seems sci-fi

First Poster
Same here with galaxy s7 edge sprint
Navigator
I confirm that! I tried the code *#0228# just in hope that it will somehow help with this drainage issue, but unfortunately no affect. Still the cell standby battery drain is on top of battery usage list.
Apprentice

I reported several days ago that the battery on my AT&T S7 flat was draining very fast after my upgrade to Nougat. However, the problem is much less severe now; unfortunately, I'm not completely sure what I did. I *think* that I did the following in roughly the order shown:

• Enabled Settings|Connections|Data Usage|International Data Roaming|International Data
    (
    possibly unrelated - I did this only because I needed to deal with a traffic jam while in Canada)
  • Disabled Settings|Connections| Mobile Networks|Enhanced LTE Services|Enhanced LTE Services
    (based on earlier replies in this thread talking about LTE calling possibly driving the drainage)
  • Disabled Settings|Connections| Mobile Networks|Mobile data|Mobile Data
    (maybe? I'm not 100% sure that I did this, but I may have)
  • Sat around for a while watching the phone and concluded it wasn't making a difference
  • Enabled Settings|Connections| Mobile Networks|Enhanced LTE Services|Enhanced LTE Services
    (b/c why not?)
  • Disabled Settings|Connections|Data Usage|International Data Roaming|International Data
    (realized I was back in the US so I turned it off on principle)
  • Enabled Settings|Connections| Mobile Networks|Mobile data|Mobile Data
    (maybe ... again, not sure if I did this or not)

After a while, I noticed that my battery drain was not as bad and felt more or less normal - I currently have 50% after nine fairly busy hours, and have reliably gone 16+ hours without dying for three days in a row now, with a restart in the middle to validate that the fix (?) is persistent. So, I'm sharing in case anyone - especially on AT&T in the USA - cares to try.

Of course, it could just be a fortuitous cosmic ray that magically cured my phone. If this does work for others, though, it might be that a flag was mis-set in the update binary, and toggling one or more of the indicated settings put it back in order. HTH.

Explorer

I'm just concerned Samsung does this on purpose, to force people to upgrade their phones, and hence there will be no patch for S7, only for S8 and 9.

This is what happened to my A5 when Nougat came out - battery life went down the drain. So I had to root and flash a custom ROM which took me whole day to accomplish. I now have to root my phone again and delete the update and disable the update app, instead of spending what little time I have outside my job with my kids.

This is really bad practice and disappointing behaviour from Samsung.

Highlighted
Explorer
Hi, which carrier are you on and how did you access the carrier settings? I'm on Vodafone UK and can't see how to access them. Thanks.
Explorer

new bootloader and modem
screenshot by a russian fellow still havent tested it myself but looks good
i have flashed both of the files through odin3 on top of EREM succesfully now waiting to see on next recharge

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11050483647474827870

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11050483647474827874

https%3A%2F%2Fcs5-3.4pda.to%2F13221960https%3A%2F%2Fcs5-3.4pda.to%2F13221965

Top Liked Authors