Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Apprentice

If someone decides to do the factory reset again, please note this issue to avoid performing updating the security patch. I did not find any way to block this update, but only go postponing for after several times. in my case, I am SURE that the cell standby problem started only after performing the April 1 security update previously requested.

Apprentice

I'll post some informations about the update Ive made yesterday and starts draining my battery with cell standby.

Version: G935FXXU2EREM/G935FOXA2EREM/G935FXXU2ERD6

SIZE: 76,90 MB

PATCH SECURUTY LEVEL: 1 APRIL 2018

Apprentice

Seems that this issue has now been escalated and is also on the news:

S7 and S7 Edge Cell Standby Issue

Though no confirmation of when the issue is to be resolved or any workaround.

Highlighted
Explorer

Great news to hear its beginning to be taken seriously. Thanks for the information. 

Observer

Hi,

just made an account so i could post my thoughts on the matter.

first of all, flat s7 owner, just updated last saturday, and yes i have the same problem.

i have had samsung devices since s3 and it just really gets my goat to see replies like thislarge.jpg

basically saying "oh you poor fool, the counter has VISUAL bug and you are imagining the battery drain"

i mean this seems to be in the main code branch, s9 has the issue, then after update s8 has the issue. why even consider rolling out s7??? even if it is an android thing, why not come out and say "android 8.0 has a bug, we will release update once they fix it"

this bug is BASIC for a phone, it's even amazing this got past testing!

samsung should consider building in a rollback button in the updates menu. to give people a chance that stuff like this does not affect their daily lives.

here's what's gonna happen, SADLY. it will take a month or 2 before an update that will almost fix the problem gets rolled out. people will still complain, and samsung will say that an update has been released and the problem is fixed.

and us poor ***** will either flash old FW via odin, or resort to rooting, and voiding our warranty (which i'm sure samsung is fine with), so that we can make use of the phones.

sorry this sounds like a hate post, but this has happened again, and again, and again with every samsung FLAGSHIP phone i have owned :( very very sad :(

Apprentice

Then maybe it is time to rethink what brand of phone you will get next if samsung keeps dissapointing..

Explorer
Come on you guys time to act. This thread has gained a lot of traction so please pass knowledge of this thread to all your friends and colleagues with Samsung phones to make Samsung take note.

It's unacceptable that a behemoth like Samsung treats its users of relatively recently purchased phones with such disregard.

PS. Thanks to the moderators who escalated this - its good to hear its made the news at last. At my last count cell standby was 53% and counting. Desperate for a solution to allow 2 more years of trouble free s7 usage.
First Poster
Same here guys. Installed Oreo today in my S7 and battery drainage from cell standby is horrible! Never had this again in any phone. At least I see I am not the only one. Samsung help please!
Apprentice

Someone said the problem started after the April patch but that is not right as I havent installed it yet and have the problem just after Oreo upgrade.

First Poster

For those that don't find a solution, turning on Power Saving and turning off Background Network Usage seemed to work to me, the problem is that it only lasts about a day and then it happens again, but Cell Standby did dropped to 3%. 

Another thing I tried was to go to developer options (By clicking several times on build version, in software information) and changing the Background Process Limit, I set it to 3, that also worked to me, as of now it is working, but lets see ehat happens tomorrow, I hope that works, and in case it doesn't, then I hope this bug gets fixed soon. It is quite annoying to lose 1% every 1 to 2 minutes and having to charge the phone again and again due to a dumb bug

Top Liked Authors