Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

First Poster

Experience the same issue. My phone is 2 monts old!!! The problems started directely after update. I bought the edge version for its battery life. I will never update the OS without reading all the opinions first. The worst thing is that feom what you describe Samsung does not want to acknowledge the problem :

@James0071 wrote:

Yes I've noticed that it is all about being on cellular network, particularly where there is a bad signal.

How did you find the process of returning to Nougat; where did you get the instructions, was it reliable and did it take a long time?

I also contacted Samsung support and they were next to useless. They were adamant that it is must be something to do with the phone. They didn't seem to understand or accept the fact that the change was a direct result of the software update. They even said they'd inspect the phone but if there wasn't anything wrong with it there would most likely be a cost to me. A dose of my experience/cynicism says that they're not going to do anything about this problem. I hope I'm wrong on this.

(

First Poster

Same here.

I have the oreo since yesterday.

Never had problem like this on previous version.Screenshot_20180613-070142_Settings.jpg

Explorer
I've downloaded the latest Nougat ROM for my region and flashed with Odin. That's the way to return to Nougat. I have a notification saying me to update to Oreo, but I won't update until this big issue is fixed.

Why we can't talk with Samsung directly? Is not possible to report bugs, or give information to Samsung with this issue to be fixed? What we need to do, publish messsages like this until some administrator here notifies the issue?
LiamH Moderator

Firstly, just a heads up to anyone with this issue. We strongly advise against flashing your phone yourself. Modifying the phone's software can void your warranty and can prevent access to core apps.

You can report issues such as this through the Samsung Members app. There's a guide on how to do that here. If you're not in the UK, the process may be slightly different so you should raise this with your local Support Team

take_01.jpg

Explorer

If you look further down in this thread (you probably already have) you will see that moderator LiamH has replied about how to access the Samsung Members app to report the issue. I don't know how effective that is having never tried it, but will have a go.

Thanks for the information on downgrading; very helpful. Have you had any problems with it? Apparently you can switch off the constant update notifications in developer options. This might help you. NB. LiamH has said that it's strongly recommended not to do that. But that information from Samsung is to be expected I guess...

This thread has gained a reasonable amount of traction since I posted so hopefully Samsung might realise there's a problem and not try to dismiss it as rogue apps, user incompetence, phone battery as it appears these are default responses.

In answer to your question about notifying Samsung directly, I simply don't know. I'm very wary of being fobbed off from various companies through unfortunate experience. First line support do their best (i've tried it) but with general scripting of which questions to ask and not being able to answer technical questions very easily it doesn't make it simple for consumers like us. Maybe numbers of people and complaints is the only way. Sorry I can't be more helpful. As far as I know this forum is for Samsung users to help each other and if a good moderator catches wind of what's going on he/she can make a big difference.

Explorer

Hi LiamH,

Thanks for your communication. Hopefully you can see there really is a problem with S7 edge phones and Oreo. This post has gained a reasonable amount of traction in a few days and it's only the people who know to come to the Samsung Community and use the correct search terms and put the effort in to reply / add to the posts. Think about how many other S7 Edge customers there must be out there also with this problem but who haven't found this community forum yet.

As a moderator you must have some authority here which you can use to back us up. I'm happy to have a go at posting directly through the Samsung Members app, but equally since you recommend not flashing phones ourselves I'd recommend in return that you insist that Samsung remove the Oreo update so that more people aren't tempted to do exactly what you're asking them to refrain from. Will you do this?

Thanks.

Explorer
It isn´t only S7 Edge, I have the S7 Flat and it´s the same problem. The only constant is the Oreo update, it seems that the mobile signal is not managed correctly in terms of energy with the new update. Another curious fact about this issue, is that the detailed info of "cell standby" drain says "0 minutes" of activation, but the energy consumed is shown. On idle, the mAh consumed by this increases without control.

I´ve done some research with another persons that suffers the bug, and at first instance it doesn´t seem to be related to an old manufacturing date of the phone. S7 from 2016 and 2017 suffers the bug.
Apprentice

Hi,

I have S7 flat and also stadby cell drain. This is the answer that I got from the Samsung members app:

Screenshot_20180613-215401_Samsung Members.jpg

Explorer

And I can say that in Oreo with the drain, my battery is terrible. With the same usage, on Nougat, I don't need to charge it twice a day minimum.

Highlighted
Explorer

Interesting information, thank you. I'll try the app anyway. Possibly a rhetorical question for you: when they say display error, do they mean the cell standby or the actual battery percentage, or both? Most of the time the percentages don't add up to 100 either. And my battery drains quicker, and it is warmer to the touch than with Nougat. 

In the absence of qualifying answers to these questions it makes me think that either they don't know what they're talking about or are fobbing us off. If Oreo was the problem there would be more than just Samsung people complaining elsewhere but I've seen no evidence to support this. Even some other Samsung phones are fine apparently.

I really don't know what to do about this issue but unless Samsung or a moderator can do something constructive to help, downgrading is a serious possibility for me, despite the rhetoric. 

Top Liked Authors