Support

Open search

A5 2017 front camera focus issue

Highlighted
Apprentice

A5 2017 front camera focus issue

I found that front camera in A5 2017 has a serious issue, Focusing!

If my face is near front camera (like 20-30cm), the photo would be clear. But if I extend my hand to take a selfie (this is needed for group selfies), then everything including faces is blurry!

This isn't my only issue but I heard from others that they are experiencing same problem!

I also have a Huawei Nova whose front camera doesn't have auto/manual focus either but, unlike A5 2017, photos are clear!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
79 REPLIES

Re: A5 2017 front camera focus issue

Hye @alirezanasibi, Woman Happy

Let’s try this, go over to your dial pad and type in *#0*#, this will bring up a number of tests. Select Front Cam, align your phone and tap to take a photo. 

Does the camera have trouble focusing during the test?

I tried and yes the photo is still blurry. It is clear if I take close selfie (not to stretch my hand!!)

Hey @alirezanasibiSmiley Happy

Try switching between camera modes. Go into the camera app, click mode, select “Beauty Face”, then go back into Mode and hit “Auto”. Also be sure you are pressing the screen when you are taking a selfie so it can focus on your face. 

Can you also try clearing the cache of your camera app. Go into Settings > Applications > Application manager > Camera > Force Stop > Storage > Clear cache. This frees up memory and may clear some type of issue that was causing your phone to take blurred pics. 

Apprentice

Thank you for your time.

A5 2017 doesn't have that type of "mode" other models have. However, if you swype right, you have 3 modes like Selfie, Wide Selfie and Night. Meanwhile, front camera has no manual or auto focus, so pressing screen is pointless. I tried your advice and also cleared cache and restart and even reset camera & phone but the result is same. Clear photos if my face almost cover screen but blurry if I stretch my hand to have wide scene..... Smiley Sad

Apprentice

I also have same issue. Its so ***** that for a 30K phone the front camera is out-of-focus if your face is away from 1 Feet. This is very bad engineering setting. The front camera depth-of-field is very low. The focal lenght of the camera is small. So your face needs to be withing 30cm. Or it will be blurry. IF you are taking group selfie and rest of the people are behind you, they are all blurred. 

Such a engineering mistake from samsung is unacceptable.  They should release a firmware update to fix the focal lenght of front camera. 

Apprentice

100% agree with you. I'm currently using my nexus 5x instead. Very much disappointed from Samsung.

The point is having your voice heard and possibly fixing the issue via a firmware is almost impossible for companies like Samsung unless you make it a big news! Only then Samsung hears our voice and possibly takes action Smiley Sad

Apprentice

I have many other phones like Honor4, oneplus2 and samsung note4, etc. But this issue with A5 2017 is strange. How can samsung do this. I am from technical background and i know this issue is due to focus fixed to 1 Ft lenght. I also have a doubt that this will not be fixed as the focual lenght of camera is hardware related. The camera assembly in the A5 is already fixed with predefined aperture and focal lenght. If this was USA, consumers can file a case against samsung. But since this is India we need to resell this. Samsung will not do anything. 

I upgraded my phone from Samsung J5 to Samsung A5 2017 and I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm very disappointed and unfortunately, we can't do anything about it. Bad investment. If Samsung did nothing about this, or did not even notice this post, this would be my last samsung product. I'll never buy samsung product again.

Apprentice

I plan to sell my A5 and this will be my last Samsung phone. I'll spread this negative point to anyone anywhere to make Samsung pay for what they do to their faithful customers! Really hate Samsung now.

Top Liked Authors