Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wimbledon 2018-Anyone For Tennis!

(Topic created on: 06-07-2018 01:09 AM)
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Wimbledon Starting tomorrow 2 July and so as we have the Lounge now, thought would set up thread for any  Fans.  Whilst there may be a buzz for the World Cup traditionally SW19  has been a big sporting event with fanatics too and some of us may  prefer the Tennis!    I have been a massive fan for many years and attended the Championships on several ocassions, though not for a few years with the lack of success on tickets.    Did queue  an odd time in younger days but not really for me now, did go to Queen's a few weeks ago though.   Anyway mind the first time I was on Centre and such a unique experience, mind a bit of an eerie silence just before the start of play, then the officials walk on court to some applause and then usually a great atmosphere when the players emerge.  can be good matches on outside courts though and if only have ground ticket may have time to see more of the place.

Suppose main talking point at moment is Andy Murray's withdrawal  (feeling not quite ready for best of 5)having said he was pumped the other day, however participation was never certain.  For me his win in 2013 following on from Us Open year before was just amazing!  2016 was more expected after Djokovic was upset and some great battles between these two over the years.   Whilst  doubt would have got far this year still a disappointment though understandable ,Kyle Edmund had some impressive result  this season but a bit inconsistent, is scheduled to meet Djokovic in 3rd Round (has win over him in Masters but here would be much tougher). Many seeing Federer as favourte as he opens centre court proceedings.    A lot of talk over 10th anniversary of Nadal getting better of him in rain delayed final, Rafa won 11th French recently but record not great here past few years, though draw seems reasonable for him and better weather may help.  Cilic and Djokovic would seem to have  reasobable shot, Zverev  has talent but yet to excel in slams.  Outsider Kygrios who does excite some though can flare up and focus can be challenge for him.   Serena back but some question marks over fitness even if tough on top form (Venus also can't be ruled out) , defending  champion Muguruza and Kvitova  have backing, Jo konta had good run last year but had limited success lately. French champ Halep good contender though grass not thought to best for her.

Anyway we'll see Fed,wozniacki, Dimitrov/Wawrinka on centre plus Slone Stephens, Raonic  v Brit Liam Broady and serena on Court 1.  Other notable one is  Monfils v Gasquet on court2.   See info on Wimbedon site

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

28 REPLIES 28
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Day 4

Thinking it might be a quieter news day for once but the drama continued.  Stan Wawrinka had a lot to do to have a chance of fighting back so it was no surprise when Fabbiano took the breaker.   However the drama continued with more upsets.    Marian Cilic was favoured by many to go a long way and possibly even take the championship  if all went his way though in Federer’s half of the draw.    However he won’t even be making an appearance in the last 32 as on the resumption of the match  Argentine Pella took the 3 sets, tight was 7-5 in the 5th.   Last year’s finalist  (who succumbed to blisters, emotion and Roger on that occasion) will have to wait another year to make his mark.  Cilic’s serve was not quite as effective  and at times footwork problematic enabling the Argentine to counter the attack.

Sounded like it might be a tricky encounter for Jo konta against  Dominika Cibulkova (like herself a former top tenner who wasn’t happy she missed out on a seeding) but few expected the Slovak to play so well and be as precise with her groundstrokes.   Whilst it wasn’t exactly a bad performance from the Briitish world no1 but she couldn’t quite find enough first serves or the inspiration and despite saving 4 match points went out 6-3, 6-4.   Sandwiched inbetween on centre Nadal won in straights over Kukushkin but several tight games and Kyle Edmund did not have too much trouble dispatching the qualifier Bradley Klahn (even if he was taken to breaker in 2nd with the serve and forehand being effective.  However the reward is a meeting with Novak Djokovic , whilst the Serb cruised past Argentine Zeballos towards the end of the match had treatment for a knee twinge.  Whilst not likely to be serious the 12 times slam champion will be having tests tomorrow.  Not yet known when the match will take place on Saturday but is expected to be 3rd on centre (when England’s World Cup Quarter Final may be over)

If we thought the theatrics were over we in for a rude awakening  as defending champion Gabrine Muguruza struggled on court 2 in the evening , down 4-2 in the opening set she rallied to take the first 7-5 against Belgian Alison Van Uytvanck.   Alison has not won back tgo http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2018-07-05/2018-07-05_edmund.html2nd seemed like normal service had been restored , however the spaniard’s serve was not the weapon it usually is and the Belgian was able to counter attack, strong in many of the rallies and coming up with some crushing winners.   We were soon in a 3rd set  and Gabrine could not recover and early break going down 6-1 in the decider as the clock struck 9.

Some amusing clips from Day 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ldhrV6ggRU

A few articles   http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2018-07-05/2018-07-05_downed_champion_in_philosophical_...

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2018-07-05/2018-07-05_edmund.html

Hopefully  my blog is interesting enough :smileywink:

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

AntS
Options

New No.2 Court living up to it's predecessor's "graveyard" rep then.

I caught a bit of that Muguruza match. Thought she'd done herself an injury with that slip by the net. 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

3rd  Round - PART ONE

Friday and saturday proved to be action packed, just where to start!  Must say I was surprised (though not the only timeI've said that) when 3rd seed Marian Cilic exited the tournament-seemed to be playing very well at Queen's though the warm up tournaments not always the best guide but he does have the grass court pedigree.   Was winning very easiily initially  but on Friday's resumption turned around and the Croatian weapons not so effective as he became jittery.   Articles I've included from Wimbledon site are credited, any other report  is my own work.

Guido Pella beats Marin Cilic [3]

3-6, 1-6, 6-4, 7-6(3), 7-5 in the second round

"Marin Cilic was one of the top contenders for the Wimbledon title and had reached the quarter-finals or better on each of his last five visits to the All England Club, including a runner-up showing last year.

The Croatian No.3 seed looked on his way to a comfortable second round victory when he went up two sets to love against Argentina’s Guido Pella, who had never won a match here prior to his opening round victory this week.

Rain suspended play with Pella leading by a break, 4-3 in the third set. And when the match resumed the following day, the world No.82 swung the momentum his way, benefitting from a total of 63 unforced errors off the Cilic racket to score arguably the biggest shock of The Championships"   BY REEM ABULLEI

Perhaps not on same scale but Gael Monfil's ousting of sam Querrey an upset and the American much bettwer record on grass than the French star who is more known for being a crowd pleaser than supreme match player but this time done fairly well on both counts to cast doubt in last year's semi finalist-was good one to see!

Acrobatics, celebrations and personality

"Showcasing astonishing acrobatics, leaping celebrations and a huge personality, Gael Monfils has long been known as the ultimate entertainer on tour. And competing against a man who might be called an opposite – the flamboyant shot-maker versus the efficient big server – the Frenchman stole the show on Wimbledon’s big stage.

A 5-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 win over the No.11 seed Sam Querrey was in many ways an unlikely victory for the unseeded Monfils, who hadn’t progressed past the third round of The Championships in nine attempts. Querrey, on the other hand, followed his 2016 quarter-final with the 2017 semis, defeating the reigning men’s champion in each of those years.

Like any great showman, the Frenchman ensured this career-best performance carried much suspense.

The grass-loving Querrey easily living up to his status as a favourite on this surface as he secured the first set 7-5 in 38 minutes, and the match appeared set for an abbreviated conclusion when Monfils fell heavily after just one point in the second set.

Walking gingerly to the chair, the Frenchman had an apparent upper leg injury assessed by a trainer and was subsequently treated off court.

That dramatic moment provided an important plot twist – but only in the most positive way for Monfils. The Frenchman’s renowned movement was still a feature and when he utilised his signature shot-making to secure a 4-3 lead in that second set, he only seemed to come more alive.

Over two hours and 10 minutes, Monfils withstood 22 aces from the American but pointedly also recorded 18 of his own. The most important was on match point, which replicated the emphatic way he’d secured the second and third sets. "  BY VIVIENNE CHRISTIE

The shocks continued in women's event as top Seed and French Open Champion Simoa Halep could not converta 5-2 lead and mp  a few games later, succumbing to Su-Wei Hsieh 7-5 in 3rd.  A match the Romanian should have  been able to negotiate but  was below par (even if grass not best surface) and confidence was somewhat lacking.  Mind you  the Taiwanese  player  had a lot of variety and at times was finding great depth and angles to frustrate the top ranked Halep.

Excerpt from press conference : 

Q. What did you know about her game going in? How did you make the adjustments? 
SIMONA HALEP: I know she's mixing the rhythm, she's playing everything. It was really hard on grass court to do better. Still I had 5-2 in the third set. I had match point. Just didn't go my way today.

She deserved to win. She had, like, more things to do on court today. She was mixing the game. She deserved to win.

Q. Rafa was in here and I asked him about whether it was other players raising their level because it's Wimbledon. He said it's more about the surface. What is it specifically about the surface that is hard to get around? 
SIMONA HALEP: Well, the ball is not bouncing two times in a row the same. It's really tough to stay low, to play every ball, to expect actually nothing because you never know where the ball is bouncing and where is coming. It's always a big challenge to play on grass court.

I cannot play my best tennis here, but I hope to improve more for the next years, to have a better result in the future.

Wasn't long before the Men's 4th seed followed her out of the tournament losing a bagel 5th set to qualifier Ernest Gulbis (though had been suffering froma virus)  Gulbis though was as high as no 10 in 2014 but one considered to waste his talent and throughout the years had always been inconsistent and could have a fiery temperament  and tendency to cause controversy.  He also spent a night in a Swedish police cell in 2009 after according to him a "misunderstanding" Anyway was focused with some great winners to reach the last 16.  Sacha still to excel in slams but may have valid reason on this ocassion.

Excerpt from press Conference:

Q. You said yesterday you were not feeling very well. How were you today? Was your sickness a factor in the fifth set where you seemed very tired? 
ALEXANDER ZVEREV: I felt fine. I was tired from probably having a stomach bug, not eating for over 24 hours. That probably had something to do with it.

I showed in Paris and other matches that I don't really get tired in five-set matches. Today I definitely did. It felt like somebody just unplugged me in the middle of the fourth set. There was no going back there for me.

Q. You hit a wall physically today? 
ALEXANDER ZVEREV: Yeah, I think so. He played well. No doubt about it. He's playing well. The quallies and everything gave him a lot of confidence. He's won six matches now already. I actually thought I didn't play that bad.

I just started to feel very tired.

Q. How frustrating is it, given you looked to be playing very well? People thought you could make a run in this tournament. Luck played a part in you going out with the virus. 
ALEXANDER ZVEREV: Yeah, but it happens. This is sports. You can't really plan things. Things happen. I thought after I won the third set, I'm going to get out with a win. I thought that honestly.

I started actually off well. I had breakpoints in the beginning of the fourth. But things happen. It's not a secret in our sport. Unfortunately that's it for me for this year. But I'll be back. I'll do the best I can to prepare myself for the hard courts now.

The match which caught most attention this weekend of course was Kyle Edmund going up against 12 times Slam winner  Novak Djokovic  (even if the Serb struggled at times this season) and I think gave a good account of himself in a bit of a lively atmosphere (as it happened starting not long after England reached World Cup semis) however could not quite sustain the level and as the match progressed Djokovic found another level and put the Brit under pressure with his defensive skills.  3rd set though was a bit disappointing,  Some drama as Novak had a go at the crowd  (though may have been a few who went a bit far) and controversy over the double bounce.    On social media some calling Edmund a cheater (charge does not stand up in my view even if umpire made wrong call)

End of the road    BY MARK HODGKINSON

"Tennis isn't coming home this summer, not even inside a giddy Centre Court, not even when Kyle Edmund's atomic forehand is among the most devastating shots on the grass. For the first time since 2007, no British man will feature in the second week of The Championships after Serbia's Novak Djokovic came from a set down to defeat Edmund in the third round.

For years this was always Andy Murray's slot at the All England Club - the primetime thriller to fry a television audience's nerves - and before that it was Tim Henman who had Britain surfing their sofas. And, for around an hour, it was all very excitable inside Centre Court, with the match starting just minutes after England's football team had won their FIFA World Cup quarter-final, and with Edmund introducing the wider British public to his gargantuan forehand.

When Edmund took the opening set against Djokovic, a three-time Wimbledon champion, the blond Yorkshireman was the calmest man inside a pulsating, heavily pro-Edmund Centre Court. But an emotional Djokovic, blowing kisses to Centre Court along the way, and increasingly animated with his celebrations, would kill the euphoria. "It was a tough challenge. Edmund has been playing well lately," said Djokovic, who won 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 to go through to play Russia's Karen Khachanov on Monday.

"Today was reasonably good," was Edmund's verdict on his defeat. 

While this didn't end up being the grand victory to bring Edmund and the British tennis public closer together, this was a decent performance. Until this summer, his only victory at Wimbledon had been against a British wild card ranked outside the world's top 800, and here he was testing one of the most accomplished grass court players of all time. For the Centre Court crowd, it was a shame that Edmund, who reached his first Grand Slam semi-final at this January's Australian Open, couldn't sustain the level he produced in the opening set.

Playing his first Wimbledon as the British No.1, and appearing in his first third round match on these lawns, Edmund illustrated in the early stages how his forehand can pulverise opponents. Such was the menace and ferocity of Edmund's forehand, which was averaging 80mph, that he was frequently hitting through Djokovic. And when Edmund wasn't producing winners, he often had Djokovic playing fetch on the grass. 

At the end of a week of almost unbroken sunshine, the ball is bouncing a little higher on the Centre Court grass then in recent years, which gave Edmund more time to set up his forehand and take a giant swing. But there was more to Edmund's forehand than just raw power, best demonstrated by when he was pushed wide and curled the ball into the corner for a delicious winner.

You could tell Edmund's tennis was getting to Djokovic, with the Serbian often bouncing the ball more than a dozen times before both first and second serves. Midway through the third set, Djokovic was given a code violation for taking too much time between points. But Djokovic, who had a match point against Marin Cilic in the Queen's Club final last month, showed his class on these lawns.

It's not often you can say that a player should have lost a break point twice over, but that was the case with Edmund serving at 3-3 in the fourth set. Replays indicated that the ball had bounced twice before Edmund hit his shot, though 'hit' might be putting it a bit too strongly as his racket fell from the hands just before he made contact. What is more, his shot landed wide, as confirmed by Hawk-Eye on television, though Djokovic didn't challenge.

In the end, that didn't matter, as Djokovic achieved the break he needed to win this match in four sets".

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Round 3-Part 2

So with Kyle's defeat sure it's been mentioned no Brits in 2nd week of singles, first time that's happened since 2007 when Tim Henman lost to Feliciano Lopez in 2nd Round (his last year as a player) but was still the best male result and Katie O'Brien lost at same stage to Michella Krajciek.  From 1992-2004 there was at least a Brit in he last 16 , can anyone name someone other than Henman or Rusedski?      Some reports may talk of there being no Brits at Wimbledon , not strictly true as we still have representatives in doubles (even if it's not as high profile)   Jamie Murray through to 3rd Round of Men's Doubles with Bruno Soares  and 2 Brits await them in the Skupski Brothers ,also through to 2nd of mixed with Victoria Azarenka (originally was not defending title (won with now retired Hingis)    but changed mind. Heather Watson in 3rd round of Women's Doubles with partner Maria and in 2nd Round of mixed with Henri Kontinen (they won title in 2016).  Jo Salisbury is also in 3rd Round of Men's with Dane Nielsen,though up against 6th seeds Cabal/Farah.

Just one other 3rd Round match I'll report on, one of the most anticipated clashes was between Kei Nishikori and Nick Kygrios but it did not really live up to the bill. Started at 7.30 PM  on Court 1 and was thought no way it could be completed , Wimbledon don't usually switch matches to centre if started already and Djokovic/Edmund was still ongoing at that time. In 2019 the roof will be operational on Court 1 too though :smiling-face:  However the Australian got off to a poor start whilst Kei was returning well and took the first set in 16 minutes! Nick did get going but the Japanese star was returning some of his poweful shots with interest amd defence put him under pressure. 2nd went to breaker but when Kei took it 7-3 was in anm uphill battle. However if he just dug in and took the 3rd could live to fight another day.   However did not seem to have the motivation really and Nishikori took it 6-4 and match in just 97 minutes. Kei said it was the best he had ever played on grass whilst Nick in his style claimed to be pretty "p***** off"

Just to say that Federer, Nadal continues to progress smoothly, Serena had bit of challenge having to come from 3-5 down against Mladenovic in first set but won in straiights,though 2nd breaker.  Venus was not so fortunate losing a battle to Kiki Bertens 8-6 in 3rd. Bertens originally served for maytch in 2nd and then went down 2-0 in 3rd before fighting back. Venus though looked a step slower and serve not so consistent. 10th seed Madispn Keys also out to Russian Rodina  in 3 despite fighting back from 4-0 down in 2nd, but was distinctly below par. 

Today all last 16 matches played in singles  (also known as Magic or Manic Monday) and  plenty of interest for spectators, also good for Tv viewing with various options on Red Button,Iplayer and BBC Sports app alongside the man channels.

Link to some pics https://www.instagram.com/Wimbledon/

AntS
Options

True - the doubles never do get as much as attention from the media as the singles. Jamie has been a pretty successful doubles player for a number of years now. (I miss Martina. :robotsad::heart:)

Wonder if the effect of the unsual (for Britain anyway) weather has contributed to the tumbling of seeds and big names?

Also, I watched this interesting documentary about Federer vs Nadal last night.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS wrote:

True - the doubles never do get as much as attention from the media as the singles. Jamie has been a pretty successful doubles player for a number of years now. (I miss Martina. :robotsad::heart:)

Wonder if the effect of the unsual (for Britain anyway) weather has contributed to the tumbling of seeds and big names?

Also, I watched this interesting documentary about Federer vs Nadal last night.

Yes @AntS   indeed doubles can sometimes  appear a sideshow, Jamie certainly done well in doubles and actually has more Grand Slam titles  than his younger brother ( 5 to 3 ) but without the prestige, even if Andy also has the 2 Olympic titles.    Yeah miss Martina too, thought she might have might have stuck around a bit longer.   Suppose weather could be a factor in some of the upsets though you would think many would be used to hot conditions elsewhere. Good documentary about Fedal  (name sometimes used to describe both), have been a few different ones over years.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Last 16 Plus Doubles

In one of the last 16 picks the big serving Kevin Anderson  (though he has a bit more to his game these days and can be solid from baseline) got the better of the more entertaining Gael Monfils in 4 sets.   With 20 Aces and 43 net points Anderson reached the quarters for the first time and the first south African since Wayne Ferreria in  1994. Whilst a close contest Anderson seemed to gain the edge in the breakers. Monfils made the better start to the third and despite being pegged back managed to force a 4th by taking it  7-5, however could not  quite  sustain the challenge. Kevin also got the better of the 4th breaker 7-5 to seal his place in the quarters.  Monfils played a solid match and came with a few of his flashy shots but  not quite enough consistency to keep the South African at bay.  In the quarters he will face defending champion Roger Federer who again won in straights this time over Mannarino.   The Switz star was so dominant in the initial  stages it took 7 games for the French player to get on the board after which he got a few sympathetic cheers from the crowd and  began to make a match of it.  However Fed has yet to drop serve and Mannarino not really making many inroads felt the pressure on his own delivery.   Roger broke at the tail end of each set to book another quarter final berth.  Anderson has yet to record a win over the 20 times slam champion and the evidence suggests it will  be another uphill battle. In 2015 he lead Djokovic 2 sets to love but then lost 3  before play had to be suspended and the next day he was never in the hunt.

In a match of contrasting styles  Kei Nishikori got the better of Ernest Gulbis  but found the going tough initially  as he could make little Dent in the Latvian’s service games  to counteract his powerful shots  and therefore had to focus  well and wait for his opportunities.  He was unable to dictate many of the rallies and soon found himself a set down but managed to edge the 2nd  set breaker.   However probably the pivotal point was when unfortunately Gulbis twisted his ankle in the 3rd set TB and subsequently required treatment.      He was able to regroup, however and had 2 set points, however crucially he missed a forehand down the line and Nishikori took advantage winning the final three points to move into the lead.   The 4th set turned out to be a formality as Kei found impressive form, whilst Gulbis struggled physically. Nonetheless he had a good run and one wondered if he would’ve had much left had he managed to come through this encounter.  Nisikori now faces Djokovic who was untroubled reading the game of Khachanov very well and string in the rallies though was not extended too much.

Some close games in Nadal’s win over Veseley but the Czech could never really gain the momentum  with Rafa returning very well and he seemed to err on the key moments.  Just a chance that things might swing in the 3rd when Jiri broke for the first time but was unable to capitalise       Nadal still waiting on his quarter final opponent but Del Potro currently with the edge, leading Gael Simon by 2 sets to 1.   A fairly tight contest with Two breakers, looked like a 3rd but Simon managed to break the Argentine at the  end of the 3rd to live to fight another day. Simon often used to be called a poor man’s Andy Murray, possibly a tad unfair . He is a counter puncher often with amazing defence but has added a bit more aggression in recent years.  Final  quarter will be between Isner and Raonic  both big servers though both have improved volleying and baseline game, Isner had the easier win.

In the women’s event Serena currently installed as favourite and that showed in a routine 6-2,6-2 win over qualifier Rodina who also happens to be a mother.  However there the similarity ends and was a bit of a mismatch as the Russian found herself overpowered  and unable to deploy much variation to put Williams under pressure.  In the 2nd set Serena had a bit of a lull and Rodina managed to hit return for the break but that was where her challenge ended as Williams picked up the pace thereafter.  Had she faced fellow American Madison Keys it would likely have been a much tougher contest  but a few of Serena’s potential opponents have fallen by the wayside.  In the quarters she will be facing Camilla Giorgi who get the better of Russian Makarova 6-4,6-4.    The Italian seemed to dictate play  coming up with 21 winners and being the ore aggressive player , coming forward at the opportune moments as is her want, particularly on a grass court. However she does not always execute effectively  and a good defence can wear her down.   Makarova though just was not consistent enough to put her under sustained pressure and her serve was not functioning at its top level.   A bit of a fight at the end as Giorgi required 4 match points but got through to face the 7 times champion.

Dominka Cibulkova will face Jelena Ostapenko in the quarters after both advanced in straight sets, Cibulkova ended the run of Hei Su Wei 6-4, 6-1  using a more powerful game to get past the more wiley Tiwanese player who had knocked out Halep.    However the match was not without  controversy  after A cibulkova return was called long at 3-4 and then successfully challenged.  However after initially giving Cibulkova the point it was overturned after a 10 minute interruption as Si Wei had a play on it so point was replayed. Cibulkova had a bit of a strop  but it seemed to fire her up!

The last top ten seed Karolina Pliskova only exited at the hands of Venus Williams’ conqueror Kiki Bertens who emerged with a 6-3,7-6 victory.  Perhaps this was not a great surprise though disappointing. In her previous match the 7th seeded Czech was a set and 4-1 before mounting a great fightback and also didn’t look convincing in 1st round.     on this occasion she broke back again however they say lightening doesn’t strike twice  and she could not repeat the feat.  The 2nd went to a breaker but Bertens easily took it to advance. Bertens was really the more steady of the players, serving and returning better and putting the Czech star under pressure  with  superior movement.    She will now face 13th seed Julia Georges  after the German had a pretty easy 6-3,6-2 win over Donna Vekic    (who put on Sloane Stephens) in the 1st round using her in her first ever Slam quarter. Georges like to try and dominate with powerful strokes and she had 30 winners in the match. Vekic though was not without her chances creating 9 break points but Georges never dropped serve.

Perhaps the one with the best chance in the top half of the draw would be Angelique Kerber   11th seed (twice slam winner) and Wimbledon finalist who came back to form after barren spell last year who takes on the 14th  Dara Kasaktina . The pair met at Eastbourne with Kerber just edging it. Kerber put out Belinda Benic 6-3, 7-6   (the switz star having one of her better runs here).   Whilst both performed well in rallies  but the German tending to be just a bit more aggressive on the key points. Benic stepped it up in the 2nd and served for it but Kerber able to come through in breaker.   Kasaktina got past  Alison Van Uytvanc  in a heavy hitting encounter interspersed with variety. However the Belgian could not quite keep it going in the end.

Some excitement in the doubles after Jamie Murray/Vika Azarenka came back from 5 down in decider to put out 7th seeds Farah/Groenefeld winning 6 successive games, was pretty incredible and Vika came up with some great returns at crucial times and Jamie strong with the volleys after missing a few earlier. Kontinen/Heather Watson also won 7-5 in 3rd to move to 3rd round. Another good result for the Brits  afyer Joe Salisbury in conjunction with Dane Nielsen put out 6th seeds  Cabal/Farah 7-6 in 4th.    So wasn't a great day for Farah.       Today Women's quarters and last 16 with Delpo/Simon to complete too.  Jamie Murray/soares also on  Centre today  :smiling-face:  Men's quarters tomorrow and heard Andy Murray will be doing some commentating!

AntS
Options

Impressive comeback from Murray/Azarenka. 

Del Potro didn't look too happy with his world yesterday as things went on.

I was going to say that Cibulkova meant business after being bumped out of the seedings in favour of Serena, but...

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AntS wrote:

Impressive comeback from Murray/Azarenka. 

Del Potro didn't look too happy with his world yesterday as things went on.

I was going to say that Cibulkova meant business after being bumped out of the seedings in favour of Serena, but...

Yeah Delpo got a bit techy but regrouped to win another breaker today to go through.  Yeah Cibulkova looked to have fairly  good shot of semis but didn't quite happen today. Anyway   more on the matches later.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Quarters/Doubles Action PART 1

2nd Tuesday is traditionally Women’s Quarter Finals and there was some intrigue.  Del Potro/Simon though were still to wrap up their 4th Round encounter so I’ll just quickly wrap that up.  The 4th set certainly was another lengthy affair lasting 70 minutes with Simon initially up a break but the Argentine fought back after a long game when the  Frenchman errs and then won another breaker .  Delpo meeting Nadal 2nd on centre,Simon whilst pleased with play figured he lacked a bit of confidence in the big matches.

First match on centre featured 11 th seed Angelique kerber versus the 14th Daria Kasaktina and featured a few breaks but Kerber throughout managed to stay on top.  Kasaktina a player who has tendency to go for broke without much margin for error.   A player with a lot of power but also has variations of spin and will go for angles but on this occasion didn’t quite get the balance right. Kerber whilst hitting some winners kept her under pressure with her defensive skills took the first 6-3 and served for 2nd at 5-4 but was pegged back. She got another chance at 6-5  and in the closing there were some extraordinary rallies including a pulsating 25 stroke win. Kerber finally came through 7-5 for another semi.  There she will meet the 2017 French champion Jelena  Ostapenko who got the better of Dominka Cibulkova.   Cibulkova got off to the better start but was unable to dictate play  with the Latvian showing the greater firepower in quite a heavy hitting encounter and was swinging freely taking the advantage on the big points.   Two tight sets bit Ostapenko was through 7-5,6-4.

A bit of drama on the 2nd centre court match as Camilia Giorgi took the first set from Serena Williams 6-3 as the Italian putting in a hard hitting performance with effective serving, some forays to the net  and clever spin changes putting the American under pressure.  At 4-2 Serena actually had Giorgi at 0-40 but was unable to take advantage.  However the match sound turned round as Williams upped the pace, found greater depth and effective power and the Italian who could not quite sustain her own level was stopped in her tracks.  Just one break in each set but Serena came through next too 6-3,6-4 and lost few points on serve in decider.  Her semi opponent will be 13th seed Julie Georges who got past Kiki Bertens 3-6, 7-5,6-1.    Tended to be fairly short points between these two and both were serving fairly strongly but in the first set the Dutch player was returning better whilst the German made a few unfortunate mistakes.  In the 2nd georges got early break but was pegged back and Bertens was bot far away from win ,however the German then seized control with the crucial break and in decider her serve , forehand and power game were most effective.

Some doubles on centre court but did not go the way of Jamie Murray/Bruno Soares who were the highest seeds left going down 6-4 in 5th after roof closed to  Klassen/venus. It looked fairly good at a set and 5-3 up but went to breaker and the Brit/Brazilian combination ended up on the wrong side there.  In the 3rd some great returns/volleying got them the 3rd 7-5 but poor start to 4th set breaker meant a decider. Unfortunately a few mistakes and pressure gave the South African/New Zealand partnership at 4-1 lead, however great break to get back to 4-5.  Unfortunately then Klassen/Venus came up with some amazing returns.  Jamie playing mixed later today, sadly Kontinen/Watson went out yesterday.    

Still some Brit interest though, Jo Salisbury in conjunction with Dane Nielsen will play the conquerors and Dom Inglot with Skugor up against Mike Bryan/Sock.   Bob Bryan was unable to play due to  hip injury he sustained in May. Heather Watsom still in doubles with German Tatjana Maria but up against 3rd seeds Krejcikova/Siniakova in QF, top seeds there Babos/Mladenovic.

Created bit of attention that Federer’s match With Anderson is on Court 1 followed by Isner/Raonic but possibly better matches on centre and really all top players should take their turn on occasions.  Centre will see Djokovic/Nishikori followed by Nadal/ DelPotro.   It is though Andy Murray will be commentating on the 2nd one, bit of banter yesterday in studio with Andy and Tim and they put up a poll on who was the most boring at Henman's sugestion  :smileyhappy:    As it turned out Tim won the dubious honour (all in jest though :smiling-face: )

Diary Day 8

Link to Gifs/Video