Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Talkin' About World Cup Thread

(Topic created on: 10-07-2018 03:08 PM)
AntS
Options

football_5.jpg

Hi all!   

It starts today, so I figured we'd have a thread about the World Cup.

• Can Southgate's Young Lions go all the way in Russia?
  • Is this Messi's time to do a Maradona, and single-handedly (*ouch!*) carry a mediocre Argentina to the golden trophy?
  • What on earth were Real Madrid thinking when they tapped up Spain's head coach on the sly just before the tournament?
  • Will Nigeria's new kit melt your eyeballs in HDR?

And many, many more questions.

So what are peeps'  thoughts on the upcoming proceedings? Favourites? Dark horses? Predictions for obscure player who'll be catapulted to stardom? Who've you got in a sweepstake?  Post 'em here!

26 REPLIES 26
AntS
Options
Spectrum
Pioneer
Options

Seems like a great year if your name is Harry. Scoring on all fronts:smileyvery-happy:

AntS
Options

LOL! :robotlol: :robotlol:

France vs. Belgium tonight.

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Sad, but proud of what Southgate's boys achieved. For 45 minutes they looked as though not only were they in the final but deservedly belonged there; and probably fully able to go toe-to-toe with a mercurial, powerful and fast France side. Ultimately, those missed chances cost us though. Croatia had the better of the ball from the second half onwards and were more clinical - despite the toll of their extended previous games. Modric showed just how good a player he is, in terms of skill, attitude and influence.

If we were going to lose before the final, then this was the best way: uncontroversial, and to an excellent team from a proud country desperate to reach a tournament final for the first time in their history.

Hope that the England team can pick themselves up for the 3rd/4th place play-off and finish the tournament with a win - and also to build upon what they achieved here.

I've watched every World Cup and European final since 1994. With the exception of' 96 I've felt that those finals (and perhaps indeed the tournaments as a whole) were better off without England in them, such were the team's play, surrounding hype/silliness, and the fan trouble that almost inevitably accompanied wherever they were playing. This time around I feel very differently.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Certainly a good run, even if turned out to be a bit gutting in the end!

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Spectrum
Pioneer
Options

Reaching semi-final was totally unexpected and very impressive result!

Still have England (1st squad) vs. Belgium (1st squad) game to look forward in this World Cup :smiling-face:

AntS
Options

Ah well. That 45 minutes of the semi-final against Croatia appeared to be all we had left in the tank in the end. 

But what a fitting final to a tournament that had plenty of goals and drama! :robotsurprised: :robothappy: #bringingtherain

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this World Cup! As an England supporter, that Colombia last-16 match was an amazing emotional rollercoaster - which thankfully for England ended in both joy and a kind of catharsisis. Beyond the England stuff there were many, many highlights throughout the World Cup; but the standout for me was South Korea beating Germany - and the way that the Koreans celebrated the genuine joy of the moment and completely forgot that they were knocked out of the tournament themselves.