Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Talkin' About World Cup Thread

(Topic created on: 19-06-2018 10:30 AM)
AntS
Options

football_5.jpg

Hi all!   

It starts today, so I figured we'd have a thread about the World Cup.

• Can Southgate's Young Lions go all the way in Russia?
  • Is this Messi's time to do a Maradona, and single-handedly (*ouch!*) carry a mediocre Argentina to the golden trophy?
  • What on earth were Real Madrid thinking when they tapped up Spain's head coach on the sly just before the tournament?
  • Will Nigeria's new kit melt your eyeballs in HDR?

And many, many more questions.

So what are peeps'  thoughts on the upcoming proceedings? Favourites? Dark horses? Predictions for obscure player who'll be catapulted to stardom? Who've you got in a sweepstake?  Post 'em here!

26 REPLIES 26
Spectrum
Pioneer
Options

Looking forward to see England in action on Monday! Still think we are a bit thin in central midfield...friendlies were not overly convincing.

0 Likes
Spectrum
Pioneer
Options

Well, that was a fantastic game, as much as I don't like CR7, you have to give it to him. Sticking with Argies though, cuz that's what I've picked in the sweepstakes. Who did you get?

AntS
Options

@Spectrum wrote:

Well, that was a fantastic game, as much as I don't like CR7, you have to give it to him. Sticking with Argies though, cuz that's what I've picked in the sweepstakes. Who did you get?

Only just recovered from watching that game lol. Not Ronaldo's biggest fan either, but aside from the obvious talent and athleticism of the man, I've been impressed with his attitude in tournament internationals over recent years. 

"Luck" of a draw gave me both Russia and Nigeria in the work sweepstake.

AntS
Options

Peru were unlucky not to get something from their game IMO.

Not too sure that was a genuine pen against the Aussies today. Only the barest amount of contact on Griezmann; and the way he tumbled suggested he was playing for it. Interesting that even with the use of VAR there's some doubt and debate.

Goal-line tech appears to be doing a decent job though.

DannyT
Options
Well, what can I say? Way to go Mexico!!

Welcome to the Community!

Spectrum
Pioneer
Options

Yeah, great game for Mexico, was fun to watch as well. A bit unlucky for Germans though, created tons of chances but I'm quite happy for Mexicans, really solid team. Next on the menu - Brazil :smiling-face:

Spectrum
Pioneer
Options

Haha, the morning press :robotlol:

22faec56-d509-4822-bc85-e56288b9cb53

AntS
Options

Interesting match.

Tunisia’s gameplan of deep defending; sapping England’s strength in the midge-infested heat; and perhaps launching a hopeful counterattack or two of their own; almost paid off for them. Speaking of paying off… how the ref allowed Tunisia to get away with blatant WWE-type stuff in their box I don’t know lol. :robottongue: :robotwink:

Shame that Sterling’s new "hardman" tattoo hasn’t enabled his legs to be any less Bambi-like. Wasn’t impressed with Maguire either. I feel Dele Ali never quite recovered from the “dead leg” he sustained in the first half, and England’s attack become a bit ponderous and pedestrian after that. Rashford definitely made a difference when he came on; and Kane showed ruthless efficiency in the box on the two occasions he wasn’t manhandled to the ground.

Overall, quite positive. I’ve seen past England teams run out of ideas and steam (and make absolute howlers in defence that they never recover from) when faced with deeper defending opponents in tournaments, so it was good to see positive passing play throughout and steady persistence until the very end.

Spectrum
Pioneer
Options
Yeah, that was a proper take-down. Encouraging to see England fight till the end.