Support

Open search

samsung j5 2016 slow charging

First Poster

Hi, i had been charging my samsung j5 2016 with the cable that came with the phone box from samsung (original cable) and it was doing great since i bought it (bought it in jan 2017) but from last 2 weeks its not charging as fast as it was doing normally, yesterday it put it on charge at 52% and after like 45 minutes it was at 58%. Then i tried different chargers and its still same (i have tried 3 other chargers) I also tried to put it with lapto but its even slow with laptop. Now the plot twist is this morning i put it on charging and it got full from 45% to 100% just in 1.5 hours. but now again in evening it took 1 hour to charge just 20%. Now i don't know what should i do with it? please someone can help me in this thanks in advance.

PS: i didn't downloaded the latest update sent by samsung but i hope that is not the problem?

11 REPLIES 11
ChrisM Moderator

Hi @johnmick.

We would always recommend keeping the software on your phone up to date, as there are various features that will improve the performance of your phone. Is there a reason you've not updated to the latest software?

First Poster
yeah i don't have much space left in my phone, but that update is months old and the issue of slow charging is not as old as the update is. Basically if update is an issue then slow charging could have emerged before but its like 2 week old problem.
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @johnmick

Can you check in the phones charging port with a torch to see if any lint has built up. 

If this is intermittent then a Samsung Service Centre or Samsung Experience Store will be able to help you further with this situation via a diagnostic on it. 

Not having the latest software on the phone wouldn't cause slow charging. 

Its either build up of lint etc or the phones charging port is at fault. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster
what i observed today is when i turn on the camera my phone is making charging sound when i turn on the phone torch it also makes a charging sound when i try to put status on whatsapp it again make charging sound.
Navigator
Seems definitely like a S/W related issue best option is to try the device in safe mode by doing the following:
Make sure your device is turned off.

Press and hold the Power key to boot up your device.

After the start-up animation begins to display, press and hold the Volume down key.

When the lock screen is displayed Safe mode is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen. To boot your device in normal mode again restart your device.
if the issue persists in safe mode i would recommend a back up and a factory data reset if it does not happen in safe mode then it is a 3rd party app also with the charger it comes with a 1 year warranty so if needs be you can get that replaced within your first year of purchase of the said device.
First Poster
thank you i'll try this method and talking about the warranty period its already passed because i had bought the device in jan 2017
Highlighted
Navigator
Well good luck with that also to free up space on your device you can go into settings apps or applications (depending on the S/W your running) and clear the data and uninstall updates and disable the following:
Android system web view
google chrome or samsung internet (both do the same job but google require chrome to be preinstalled but you only really need 1)
Excell
Onenote
Powerpoint
Word
Google+
Hangouts
Not all of these apps will be preinstalled but this is a list of some that you can get rid of to free up space and as always you can purchase an SD card a nice 16GB will cost around £8 from a reputable retailer and will come with a nice 5 year warranty generally.
First Poster
Hi got back after a long time, yes i don't need power point, word skype etc but how to completely uninstall them? they only uninstall the updates. Also i do have 16GB sd card but apps stores in phone memory only
Superuser I
Superuser I

@johnmick wrote:
thank you i'll try this method and talking about the warranty period its already passed because i had bought the device in jan 2017

Your Samsung phones comes with a 24 month manufacturing warranty @johnmick

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Top Liked Authors