Support

Open search

samsung galaxy s8 white line on screen

First Poster

Hi,

Yesterday my brand new Samsung S8 started to show white vertical line. I've bought this phone several weeks ago, it hasn't suffered any fall or damage and is protected by plastic cover. It looks there may be an issue with particular colors, since more often than not that line is not visible when background is fully black, e.g., when I open up my application list. Sometimes it looks like several disconnected lines, I think it depends on the picture in the background. It looks that the position of the line is approximately at the place where the screen changes from flat to curved.

It looks that this line dissapears when screen becomes dimmed, although I can't guarantee it happens every time.

I attached two photos. One can see the line in the start screen where background is blue. There is no line when background is black.

20181024_125809.jpgno line20181024_125842.jpgwith line

Any ideas what could be the cause of it? At the moment it looks like a screen defect, but perhaps it's something which could be cured by software means?

4 REPLIES 4
Superuser I
Superuser I

That looks like a hardware fault that affected some Samsung Galaxy s7 edges @MariusM

Sometimes invoking the different colour test panels and toggle between them via typing into your phone app's dialer  *#0*#  can help and try lightly pressing on the top right hand corner of the phone to see if it disappears. 

When this happened to my Samsung Galaxy s7 edge I was advised it's the connection between the screen and motherboard that's at issue. 

It's not software based issues. 

A Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre can service the phone under the manufacturers warranty as long as it shows no sign of a drop or water damage. 

To add in the UK if the phone was bought directly from Samsung they would swap the phone out if it's under 30 days of initial ownership. 

If bought from a mobile phone network one would need to check their Terms and Conditions as it's the seller of the phone that has the responsibility of helping you. 

Please check your own countries T&C's. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

I experienced  the same issue and I thought my phone was damage. 

I went to my settings then display. There you scroll down to edge screen and make sure is off.

That way I was able to remove the side white line I had one my screen.

I hope i was able to help you. Good luck 

Superuser I
Superuser I

@Vikaner 

As this thread is nearly a year old I hope the OP has resolved their issue with their phone.  

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Yeah I also have a pink and white line on the same place on my s8+ but they dont go away no matter what...also a green line at the bottom sometimes

Top Liked Authors