Support

Open search

galaxy s3 mini restarts

Highlighted
SOLVED
First Poster

Hi 

My galaxy s3 mini has recently began to do a restart but ONLY when I attempt to use Facebook. The phone displays the Samsung logo while it restarts then the home screen appears but without the normal date and time being dispalyed. A symbol appears at the top like a small circle with a line throught it (much like the "no speed limit"road sign) It takes almost two minutes for the phone return to normal.

If I don't log on to Facebook the phone works fine and NEVER does a restart.

I have attempted a few suggestions which I found online, uninstall Facebook and then re-install it and clearing the data and cache in Google store and Chrome. None of it cures the problem.

The device name is GT-18200 with software version 4.2.2 with the latest updates installed.

Any help or suggestions would be most useful.

Many Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
AntS Moderator

There sometimes can be software conflicts after an update. Whilst it sounds extreme, a data backup and factory reset is a great way to clear those cobwebs.

Prince_Community_Sig03.jpg

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

hi 

everytime i attempt to go on facebook my phone keeps restarting ive had my samsung galaxy s3 mini for two years now but recently its been restarting a lot but it only restarts when i go on facebook ive researched how to stop this and ive tried everything is there anyway to fix this as its been doing it for a while many thanks 

10 REPLIES 10
AntS Moderator

Hi Merlin! :robothappy:

Just to to confirm: do you have the latest version of the Facebook app for your phone? Apps > PlayStore > My Apps > Installed > Update. Make sure all the permissions required are ticked. 

Can you post a pic of that circle with a line through it? Does it appear at any other time?

First Poster

Hi 

Many thanks for the reply. I can confirm that Facebook is fully updated and I have attached a photo of my phone during the restart cycle and and as you can hopefully see, there is also no date and time which there usually is. It will eventually clear and I can then log on to the phone a s normal.

This restart is not every time I log on to facebook and I had several attempts logging on to FB before it restarted and I could get a photo of what happens. But to confirm it is ONLY FB that cause the restart. 

The phone is only 12 months old (Christmas present last year) so I am reluctant to buy another (I am only pay as you go).

Here's hoping

Merlin

phone circle.jpg

I had the same problem with my s4 mini, the only solution I found was to uninstall facebook (and facebook messenger) and just access it through Chrome instead.
Madkat
AntS Moderator

Thanks! That circle with the line through means that there's no signal reception at that time.

Was anything changed on the phone just before the Facebook issue started, like a new app or a software update?

First Poster

Hi Madkat

Done as suggested apart from uninstall FB and since this morning the phone has not restarted. Looks promising however I would still like to cure the original problem if possible. I do hate to be beaten on technical issues.

Merlin

First Poster

Hi

There have been no new apps installed but the phone often does updates but there is nothing I can put my finger on to indicate the problem started with a specific update.

I am just wondering whether to reset the phone to it's factory settings. Madkat has suggested access FB via Chrome which I have been doing today and it appears so far to be successful. 

AntS Moderator

There sometimes can be software conflicts after an update. Whilst it sounds extreme, a data backup and factory reset is a great way to clear those cobwebs.

hi 

everytime i attempt to go on facebook my phone keeps restarting ive had my samsung galaxy s3 mini for two years now but recently its been restarting a lot but it only restarts when i go on facebook ive researched how to stop this and ive tried everything is there anyway to fix this as its been doing it for a while many thanks 

AntS Moderator

Hi @sophiee.

What steps have you tried already?

Top Liked Authors