Support

Open search

Transfer text messages from iPhone 6 to Galaxy S8

First Poster

My new S8 arrives tomorrow, yay! However before I start using it I need to make sure I can get some old SMS off my old iPhone 6, ideally transferrred onto the new phone as well as backed up.

I will use iTunes to take a backup for starters. And then I understand the s8 comes with a cable or connector to connect to your old phone and transfer the key things you want? Would be great if someone could confirm:

1. This cable/connector comes with the phone
  2. It will work with an iPhone6
  3. It will transfer SMS messages from an iPhone 6
  4. SMS messages will be left on the iPhone, not deleted once transferred

Also appreciate any tips for making sure the transfer happens smoothly eg anything I should avoid transferring etc..

9 REPLIES 9
Apprentice

There is a connector from USB to USB-C in the box. You only must connect the adapter with your Lightning Cabel and then you can transper your SMS with Smart Switch to your new Galaxy S8.

First Poster

Thanks @tim99. Do you know if the transfer retains the data on the old phone (my iPhone?)

AntS Moderator

Hi @marscolony

The data will remain on your old phone. If you want to check it out, there's more FAQs and info on using Smart Switch between mobiles here.

Prince_Community_Sig03.jpg

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

Observer

@AntS wrote:

Hi @marscolony

The data will remain on your old phone. If you want to check it out, there's more FAQs and info on using Smart Switch between mobiles here.

I use three phones for business, personal and overseas sim cards. 
Up to now they have all been iPhones (1 x 6 Plus & 2 x 5s')

I have purchased the S7 Edge for Business and have the iPhone 6 Plus for personal use.

I have unsuccessfully attempted to move my collection of SMS texts, going back to 2010 to the S7 Edge.

Samsung Smart Switch moved my calendar and contacts over without any problem, but there is no option to move SMS over. 
Isms2droid just got stuck all the time and I read it doesn't work with IOS 9!
Android Converter doesn't work either.

I still have my SMS history on the two remaining iPhones that I use, but I would prefer to have it on the S7 as I don't always have immediate access to my iPhones when out and about.

Is there a way of transferring messages from an iPhone using iOS 9 to a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge that works?
Surely every former Apple user hasn't abandoned their SMS history or been forced to keep a spare iPhone around!

AntS Moderator

Hi @Pakchenny. :robothappy:

I'm assuming that those messages are stored on your iCloud backups rather than on the SIMs.

Just to cover how it should work to make sure any steps haven't been missed here, transferring stuff from iPhones using Smart Switch should work like this:

1. From the first screen tap 'Select a different backup':

SmartSwitch_iOS01.JPG

2.  Tap 'Select backup data to restore' from the left-hand drop-down:

SmartSwitch_iOS02.JPG

3. Tap 'Non-Samsung device data' from the left-hand drop down, and tap the right-hand drop down to get available options, and tap 'An iPhone':

SmartSwitch_iOS03.JPG

4. Make sure all of the options of the data you want to transfer over are ticked. (As above, if needed, you also should be able to select from any different available backups in that right-hand drop-down.)

SmartSwitch_iOS04.JPG

Let us know if you're getting something different. 

Prince_Community_Sig03.jpg

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

First Poster

I use Smart Switch. Backup your iPhone via iTunes first. Start Smart Switch and pick the latest backup. Select messages and it will copy them to your Edge.

@marscolony wrote:

My new S8 arrives tomorrow, yay! However before I start using it I need to make sure I can get some old SMS off my old iPhone 6, ideally transferrred onto the new phone as well as backed up.

I will use iTunes to take a backup for starters. And then I understand the s8 comes with a cable or connector to connect to your old phone and transfer the key things you want? Would be great if someone could confirm:

1. This cable/connector comes with the phone
  2. It will work with an iPhone6
  3. It will transfer SMS messages from an iPhone 6
  4. SMS messages will be left on the iPhone, not deleted once transferred

Also appreciate any tips for making sure the transfer happens smoothly eg anything I should avoid transferring etc..

This is not an option. The only way to get old text to the device is to restore a backup, which will delete all current data on your device. You cannot do incremental backups or pick and choose what connect to move. You can save text messages with a 3rd party program for the computer, but you do not have access to the file system to be able to write them back to the phone.

Explorer

Cool. Acutally, we can use google account or phone transfer tool to help us Transfer text messages from iPhone 6 to Galaxy S8 directly. About the details for google account, you can check online. Just have a try and choose the one you like better. 

Highlighted
Apprentice

SMS Export, SMSBackupandRestore, Phone/iPad/iPod Manage are practical text messaging applications. The operation is also very simple and worth a try. But before I changed my phone, I used a mobile transfer tool.

Top Liked Authors