Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondhand Galaxy S4 won't connect to Win 10

(Topic created on: 24-11-2019 03:54 PM)
justmegt
First Poster
Options

I have tried 6 different USB cables. 4 are supposed to be sync cables, 2 are MHL cables which charge only. The sync cables make the computer connection sound but don't show up on the computer. I have tried Smart Switch and Kies but phone still won't connect.  They all charge the phone OK. I used to have an S3 that connected to Win 7 OK.

I looked into buying a genuine data cable but see a lot of claims which aren't backed up by feedback. Does anyone know where I can get a genuine cable from?

I looked at Device Manager and saw an unknown device with a yellow triangle and black exclamation mark. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

I have spent many hours on this, just to download 4 pictures. Can someone please suggest what to try next?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Cassidy007
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

Hi @justmegt ...why don't you try to use Direct WiFi to transfer your files ?

Vous aimez la photographie ? Si OUI, cliquez ici : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/parlons-photographie/bd-p/photo-club-forum-fr
You like photography , if YES, Click here : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/bd-p/photo-club-forum-uk
0 Likes
justmegt
First Poster
Options

Tried WiFi. Only Router appears.

Tried WiFi Direct. Nothing Appears

After many hours, tried:

Win 10

Start

Settings

Devices

I saw 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)'

Driver Error (in grey)

I clicked 'Remove Device' and clicked 'Yes' to the message 'Are you sure that you want to remove this device'

Re-inserted USB cable and suddenly my phone appeared on computer. I downloaded my pictures and tried it again.

Every time, since then. I get the error 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)' and my phone won't connect.

:thinking-face:

0 Likes
Burgsbee
First Poster
Options

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the exact same issue and tried all the things you did.

0 Likes
rossy007
First Poster
Options

Have just started the same issue on my A71

(Device Descriptor Request Failed)

Tried the same options as above...

An array of cables, same issue

6 x different USB ports, same issue

Try connecting to 1 x desk top & 2 x laptops, same issue 

Device manager, remove device, re boot PC, same issue

Device manager, update driver, re boot PC, same issue

MUST BE THE PHONE... never dropped, all other functions - perfect.

Is it a software or hardware issue ?

Does it need upgrades / patches or...

Is it the jack plug ?

0 Likes