Support

Open search

Samsung s8 internal storage

SOLVED
First Poster

Hi,

I have just taken delivery of a new S8 and love it, the only problem is that 52gb of the internal memory has already been used! I have pics and videos set to save to an external as card so the internal memory is only really hosting the operating system and a few apps (Facebook etc, no games).

Surely this can't be right? Has anyone else had this issues or recommend a solution? I have used the samsung device management tool and it wiped off about 200mb of cached images at but I can't find where the other 50gb of data is being used! V frustrating!

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Superuser I
Superuser I
Hi,

My Samsung Galaxy s8 has 32gb of Internal memory.
How did you get 52gb of internal storage or is that a mis key ?

The phone itself will tell you what is taking up its internal storage and offers ways of cleaning it. Settings > Device Maintenance > Storage.

Your phone allows the movement of certain apps from internal storage to Sd card.

When I look to look at what's taking up internal storage I look at >

Apps.
Contacts.
Text and Mms messages.
Videos.
Emails and Attachments.
Tones.
Music.
Calendar Entries.
Notes.
Download files in settings.
Pictures.

One option would be to shut the phone down and carry out a clear of the system cache.

And or Back-Up and Factory Reset.

If you've already looked at these options that take up internal storage and the phones system isn't highlighting what's going on then look to visiting your most local Samsung Service Location.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Superuser I
Superuser I
Hi,

My Samsung Galaxy s8 has 32gb of Internal memory.
How did you get 52gb of internal storage or is that a mis key ?

The phone itself will tell you what is taking up its internal storage and offers ways of cleaning it. Settings > Device Maintenance > Storage.

Your phone allows the movement of certain apps from internal storage to Sd card.

When I look to look at what's taking up internal storage I look at >

Apps.
Contacts.
Text and Mms messages.
Videos.
Emails and Attachments.
Tones.
Music.
Calendar Entries.
Notes.
Download files in settings.
Pictures.

One option would be to shut the phone down and carry out a clear of the system cache.

And or Back-Up and Factory Reset.

If you've already looked at these options that take up internal storage and the phones system isn't highlighting what's going on then look to visiting your most local Samsung Service Location.

Current Phone ~

View solution in original post

First Poster

Restarting it with factory settings seems to have done the job! It's showing 50gb storage left after I have downloaded all of my apps etx again. 

Thanks for your help 

J

Superuser I
Superuser I

Good to hear and you're very welcome. 

Current Phone ~

First Poster
After using my S8 for a few months, I had only 2 GB remaining out of the 64. After several fruitless discussions with support, I was stumped. They couldn't help me to find the "missing " storage of 42 GB. They just wanted me to buy additional storage. Turned out there was a podcast app that had saved every single episode, whether or not I had deleted them. The usage did not show up as part of the app, but appeared as "other" when looking for storage. After deleting the app and reinstalling it, the storage reappeared.

I guess any time you have an app that downloads a lot of data, be suspicious if your usage starts climbing.

Good luck out there.

Question when you backed up your phone Did you lose any of your personal information passwords contact numbers..ECT

Had the same probelm. S8-64GB.

Found some strage extremly large files of about 5-10GB.

After Hard Rest with the same set of App. now I have 50GB availabe. 

A virus or a system issue?

Clear your google chrome data. From using up all my 64gb storage, it went down to 21gb when I cleared my chrome data. Look it up in your apps and you'll see how much storage it takes up, mine took 45gb. Hope this helps

I had the same Issue ant the sollution was very simple:

Once I deleted several large videos but they were kept in a place called trash can or something like this which was programmed to clear the files stored there in 15 days so those files still filled my internal storage. I manually cleared the folder and observed that I cleaned more than 30 GB of my storage.

I found the issue by checking the storage used by each app and my gallery had stollen 41 GB of it so i knew where the issue was. I think that would have worked in your case too and you'd not have to reinstall all your apps over again after the factory reset. Hope this would be useful to another person with the same issue

Today I reset my Samsung s8 pluse on factory reset because it was running out of space, but after reset when I installed some applications its onece again giving same error, which is really making me uncomfortable. Please any one help. Screen shot is attached Screenshot_20191118-202935_My Files.jpg

Top Liked Authors