Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung j3 2016 battery issues

(Topic created on: 24-04-2019 04:07 PM)
Kachiu
Apprentice
Options

I work in a phone store, over the last week or so we’ve had at least 40 people come in with the j3 2016 having issues with the battery discharging rapidly. Some have bought replacement batteries and are still having the issue. Some have updates available, others are on the most  recent version of android for the phone. There doesn’t appear to be any app in the battery app that is misbehaving to suggest it’s the culprit. Can anyone confirm what would suddenly start all these phones discharging at the same time. Some phones are over 2 years old others have only been in use for about a year so there doesn’t seem to be any particular pattern that we can identify.

26 REPLIES 26
AntS
Options

Hi @Kachiu:smiling-face:

That's an odd one! What's the typical battery usage breakdown in Battery Usage you've seen? Any problems with mobile or Wi-Fi signal strength in your local area you're aware of? (I'm assuming your customers are coming from around where you're located, of course.)

0 Likes
Kachiu
Apprentice
Options

It’s really strange. The battery usage looks fairly typical. Screen time being the largest drain as you would expect and then occasionally a social media app but only minimal percentage of overall battery use. The majority of our customers that have this phone are older users so their use age is fairly minimal anyway compared to some others. They’re not living on their phones in other words. Signal around here for us is great but customers have not all been from within just one small town. It’s perplexing and difficult to deal with as we just don’t have answers for them!

AntS
Options

No doubt. 

I'm fairly sure that the Members app can't be installed on a J3 2016 - otherwise I'd have advised sending error reports with log files for the software team to analyse.

Has a factory reset or a data cache clear on any of the phones had an effect?

Kachiu
Apprentice
Options

Cleared what caches we can, with them being quite small on the memory front it doesn’t clear a lot of space, the majority of people don’t even have additional apps on their phones anyway, one customer hasn’t even created a google play log in to download further apps. We’ll pick someone to do a factory reset on that is ok with that happening, generally people don’t want to though as it will wipe their phone.

AntS
Options

:thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Let us know it goes.

And agreed on the reluctance to factory reset. I'm not too big a fan of it either. If you can, try to get the customer to back up their data beforehand.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

A few relatives have the J3  ,  however as far as I'm aware do not currently have the battery drainage issue.   Not so long ago one had an issue with freezes but it was sorted.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Talkabout
First Poster
Options

I have a mobile phone store and have exactly the same issue. Only in the last month I’ve had at least 20 Users of J3 2016 with same battery problem. Changed batteries, reset phones, etc some ok, some same problem.  All about 1-2 years old. Very strange and confusing!

0 Likes
10kell10
Student
Options

Myself and a friend are also having the same battery problems with the Samsung j3 2016.  We have both bought new battery but the problem still exists.

I have gone through my phone and forced closed apps and it's made no difference.  The system is up to date and I checked the battery usage and there is nothing out of the ordinary. 

This problem started round about a month ago, just as explained in the other posts.

Did anyone do a factory reset as previously discussed or found another way to resolve the problem?

Do Samsung have an official comment on this?

10kell10
Student
Options

Kachiu, did you get anyone to do a factory reset on their phone?

Really need to know if anyone has gotten anywhere with resolving this issue yet before I go out and buy a new phone.