Support

Open search

Samsung S8 Plus front camera autofocus

First Poster

Hello.

My problem , like the title stated, is about the autofocus on my front facing camera. This problem was from the day i bought the phone.

Description :

While in the camera app , it has some slight trouble focusing while (at a distance of 10-15 cm it tries to autofocus 3-4 times even if i'm standing still). If i take a picture or record something using the camera app, no problems.

While on a video call on Facebook Messenger, it has a lot of autofocusing problems...also, the quality most of the time is worse than a Galaxy Grand Prime front facing camera.

Results of testing several apps. S8+ (me) talking to Iphone SE

- facebook messenger : autofocus problems reported from my S8 ; crystal clear image sent from Iphone

- whatsapp : bad on both ends , pixelised

- google duo : somewhat the same autofocus problems from my s8 (sometimes on my end i could see my preview clearer) ; crystal clear reception from iphone

- skype: slight problems or none with the focus ; but worse quality than fb, better than wapp

The way i see it there are a few possible problems:

1) My camera has a problem

2) The network hardware can be faulty

3) The software from the camera. It's not optimised to work with apps. There should be an option to disable the autofocus in general (in all apps not just the camera app)

4) The app has problems recognising the camera or forces the AF.

Thank you for your time

2 REPLIES 2
Superuser I
Superuser I

As the phone is an expensive item then if this has been my phone and the Issue was from "day 1" then having it swapped out straightaway would have been my choice. 

Check any relevant timeframes you have to do this @TopCat10k

This is some advice given by one of the Team here in a past thread. 

"Hardware test: go over to your dial pad and type in *#0*#, this will bring up a number of tests.Front Camera: Select Front Cam, align your phone and tap to take a photo. Review the quality of the photo and let us know the results. You can then tap the screen to return to the LCD test screen.Back Camera: Select Mega Cam. Align your phone and tap the ‘capture’ icon to take a photo. Verify that the flash works during this as well. Review the photo and let us know the results.Let me know if your cameras focus correctly in this mode. If they do, then it highlights a software issue, if not, then I'd recommend popping into a Service Location to have your phones looked at by a trusty engineer at a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre location"

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster

Hello BandOfBrothers.

The reason why i didn't take it from day 1 is because i've already used the hardware tests and i've made countless photos and videos using the front camera.

They were all good.

The problem seems to be when i'm streaming my image over the internet.

Top Liked Authors