Support

Open search

Samsung Mail App S7 Edge 5MB Limit?

Highlighted
Apprentice

HI,

I had to send an original photo via email and found to my surprise that the Samsung Email App fails to send if the total size of attachments exceeds 5MB. Latest app is installed v4.2.74.1 - I am not sure if the previous version failed or not as the App auto updated last week.

I use an exchange server and have no issues with sending from a PC and the Exchange server has no limitations of attachment size from any connected devices.

I believe that Samsung may be using code from the 'standard. android email app whereas GMail allows 25MB or more.

If Samsung are promoting the device for business use, how can their email app have such restrictions? I know I could upload the images to, say, Onedrive and then email a  link but that defeats the purpose of email to a degree.

Unfortunately I cannot use the Outlook App as it does not integrate very well with the Android contacts, whatsapp etc and I do not like GMail unless absolutely necessary.

Any ideas? Are Samsung even aware of such an issue? I have tried support.....

27 REPLIES 27
CarlH Moderator

Hi @Stewartv. I've just tested sending a file over 5MB here using the stock email app (Gmail account) and it worked. I'd like to look into this further. What email address are you using; is it a personal one that you've set up?

Apprentice

HI,

Thanks for the reply.

It is a strange issue. I can send >5MB in attachments when sending using an IMAP or POP 3 account which is set up on the Samsung Mail App.

If I send the same exact email using an Exchange Account which is also set up on the Samsung Email App, then the sending fails with a message that the attachments are too big (>5MB). The server is not restricting attachment sizes from mobile devices or tablets. (I will in the meantime triple check with the ISP, but last time they said no restrictions).

I seem to recall somewhere that there could be a limit on attachment size depending on the method that the email client uses to access an Exchange server. This might occur if instead of the Exchange Connector  (possibly) Android is using the SMTP virtual server?

CarlH Moderator

Are you currently running Nougat or Oreo, @Stewartv? Can you also test this out in Safe Mode? To activate this, restart your phone but whilst it's powering up, keepo the 'Volume Down' button held until you reach the home screen. Safe Mode will be displayed in the bottom left corner if done correctly. 

Apprentice

Running Nougat (Android 7.0)

Tried Safe mode - same result. Less than 5MB OK, over 5MB fails as attachments are too large.

I cannot get in touch with the Exchange ISP until tomorrow to triple check. The 'standard' email size I am allowed is 50MB, but as I mentioned, I will see if this is the same for mobile devices (which I was previously assured was the case). From what I can remember, my last phone (LG G4) had no issues with large attachments.

Apprentice

Interestingly, I just went to the Outbox which contains the failed message, and the Mail App has shown a Tips box which states "This message is too large. Remove some attachments and try sending this email again"

CarlH Moderator

How many files are you attaching, @Stewartv? I seem to remember I could only attach so many on a previous email (not sure of the quantity).

Apprentice

Just 2 photos!

Interestingly, when I deleted the email from the Outbox it moved into the deleted items and replicated just fine to the exchange server and then to my PC.

CarlH Moderator

Yeah, 2 should definitely be fine! Have you tried using the Outlook app?

Apprentice

I thought about that but I understand that there are issues in that it cannot integrate with Android Apps for the contacts (WhatsApp etc) and it requires manual syncing somehow.

I also thought about Gmail as the client but I am afraid that I do not like the organisation of the interface and emails.

It seems very strange thaT Samsung would provide an email client with such a limitation for Exchange users who are likely to be using a company server and moving lots of documents. Receiving large files is no issue at all.

EDIT: The failures are on both 4G as well as WiFi Networks so are not carrier imposed restrictions.

Top Liked Authors