Support

Open search

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge no longer works after Official OTA update

Highlighted
First Poster

Hi all

Yesterday when I woke up there was an update OS update that periodically shows up. I currently have Nougat. I'm using 3 as a carrier in DK. I pressed "update now " and left my phone while I got ready for work. It was plugged in and power cord on.

When I got back to it my phone was off? It normally just reboots into the pin code screen after an update. When I turned it on, it started reboot boot itself all the time, it would reach the pin code screen all pixilated and then reboot. After a while it just stopped. I could enter the recovery and wipe the system cache. The system rebooted and showed a pixelated screen saying Install Complete but the screen was frozen. I could only do hard reset (volume down & power). After that the screen now only shows the Samsung Galaxy S6 Egde power by android screen. Recovery mode does not work anymore (volume up, home and power). The only mode that still works is Odin mode (volume down, home & power). But even though I have used Smart Switch to reset the phone (tried 3 times), the phone is always stuck in  Samsung Galaxy S6 Egde power by android screen.

Any hints as to want I can do? Figures with my luck that barely 2 months after official warenty runs out an offciel update bricks my phone. :-P

Many thanks

William

4 REPLIES 4
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @williamlee

What was the update version ie what firmware version did it put you on ?

I'm on the latest Nougat 7.0 on my s8.

Was the update in your software update section in your phones settings ?

If all recovery avenues are failing then I'd suggest to go to your most local Samsung Service Centre location. 

Even tho the phones out of manufacturing warranty they may still help by hooking it up to a diagnostic computer and re Set it. 

The exclusions would probably be if it's damaged by a drop or has water damage. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster

Hi

Thanks for your quick reply.

I just accepted the update. It was the normal Update screen where it asks if you want to update now, later or during the night. I selected now. 

Unfortunately I don't know  what version it was. But its the second update after the phone was updated to Nougat OTA.

The phone has no damage; water or otherwise. So I guess I will try and find the nearest Samsung Service Centre location here in Copenhagen.

Thanks again.

William

Superuser I
Superuser I

Youre very welcome. 

It sounds like a bug / minor update then. I had one recently.  

Yes please do seek assistance from Samsung. 

Would you let us know how you get on please?

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster

Hi

Just an update on my phone.

I first went to my carrier's service center (3). The repair shop was closed and they told me to send an email so they could check with the workshop if they would repair it. After waiting a week of hearing nothing, I gave up on my carrier's service center. 

I went to an officiel Samsung center instead (Mentech). I got an email after a few hours. The mainboard in the phone was dead. They couldn't see why and noted that there was no visual cause as to why it died, so they replaced it no questions asked.  That awesome Samsung, thanks. I picked up the phone after work.

Unfournantly that means all my data the two years is gone. Probably should start taking backups. :-)

Thanks again for the help.

Regards

William

Top Liked Authors