Support

Open search

S8 Edge - How to disable power off while lock screen

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi,

in the last 2 months, my girlfriend has its mobile phones stolen two times. In each occasion, she immediately tried to call her device and also use "find my mobile phone" features (once from Apple one from Google as the first was Iphone and the following an Android) but the phones were already switched off.  She would be able to trace her mobiles if thieves could not switch off the phones (both were locked and battery not removable), but they were never powered again (or at least never received feedback from Apple/Google regarding phone activity).

Question is: how can I prevent my Galaxy S8 to be switched off by a non authorized person if it is on and locked

I know that if a mobile phone freezes it might be useful to perform a soft-reset it but I rather wait until the battery drains than loose trace of my phone if someone steals it, which makes all the "find my phone" features as taking pics, ringing out loud, tracking, etc useless unless the phone is powered on.

I believe we can not do this on out Galaxy S8 Edge or am I missing something here? 

Thank you all (including Samsung) for the help/explanation.

It should exist this Security possibility and be easy for each owner to decide wether to activate it or not.

Regards,

Ricardo. 

3 REPLIES 3
Apprentice

So took me some time, and I finally found it!

Problem:

Someone can easily power off the phone when the phone is locked. I want a passcode enabled when someone attempts to power off the device when the phone is locked.

Solution:

1) Go to the following website: http://findmymobile.samsung.com

2) Once logged in, in the box on the right side of the screen there are plenty of options for your device. We need to click "Lock".

3) There's an explanation of what it does. Click "Next". Type in a PIN number and the other optional information.

4) Device will become locked remotely. Use the PIN to unlock. Next time you attempt to turn off the phone on the lock screen, it will ask for the PIN or any of the other password types. Voila, problem solved!

Just Browsing

@VeeSter wrote:

So took me some time, and I finally found it!

Problem:

Someone can easily power off the phone when the phone is locked. I want a passcode enabled when someone attempts to power off the device when the phone is locked.

Solution:

1) Go to the following website: http://findmymobile.samsung.com

2) Once logged in, in the box on the right side of the screen there are plenty of options for your device. We need to click "Lock".

3) There's an explanation of what it does. Click "Next". Type in a PIN number and the other optional information.

4) Device will become locked remotely. Use the PIN to unlock. Next time you attempt to turn off the phone on the lock screen, it will ask for the PIN or any of the other password types. Voila, problem solved!

It only works if your phone is already lost and you've enabled this feature remotely whilst lost!

I followed the instructions and it showed the locked screen with optional 'lost phone' message and contact number.

I tried to power off and it rejected as desired.

Once I put in my PIN to unlock the phone I decided to test this feature and locked my screen.  I then pressed the power off (as if I was a phone thief) and it simply switched the phone off!!  That is what I am trying to AVOID!! 

I want this feature enabled ALL THE TIME, not just when the phone is already lost!!

.....or am I missing something?

Please enlighten me where I went wrong!!!

Apprentice

@HilaryMillinery 

If you click the link I provided either through a

computer or your phone and login, you will see the following menu. Screenshot from my phone:

https://imgur.com/a/j2yXZvg

I've circled in red the lock button, it's enabled by noting the green checkmark in the corner. If yours is not enabled, do so by clicking/tapping on it. Next time you try to turn off your phone at the lock screen it should ask you for a PIN or password, whatever  you may have selected as security.

The first time I tried it did not work, but every time after that it worked, give it another try at the lock screen. Also ensure your finger is not on the finger scanner and your face is out of view if you have facial recognition turned on, because it takes biometrics as well and will turn off. Obviously if someone else tried it shouldn't work unless they have the PIN.

Top Liked Authors